Author Topic: QLeader Text & Arrow Size?  (Read 7419 times)

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
Re: QLeader Text & Arrow Size?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 03:24:16 PM »
or dimscale.....(x24 for 1/2=1', 48 for 1/4"=1')   ?

No I'm not trying to get a post count up, I just think slow    :lmao:
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

Josh Nieman

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007, 03:27:39 PM »
I always print from PSpace which is 1:1.

craigr

Then what scale is the viewport that your floor plan is at?  You need to use that scale as PHX cadie said, to get the size of your text.

If your viewport is set at 1/8"=1'-0" then you would take (.125 / 12 = 96)  So if something is one inch tall (plotted) you would draw it 96 inches tall in model space, for it to appear 1" tall when plotted.  So if something needs to be .1", then you take 96x0.1 = 9.6"  Thus your text size for a floor plan printed at 1/8"=1'-0" would be 9.6" tall.

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2007, 03:41:24 PM »
Is there an easier way?

I hope the scale to layout is there, no math, will be the same w/ vp of dif scales, same page. You can save the dimstyle and use it for all your dwgs.

Fingers crossed

<sp>
Acad 2013 and XM

craigr

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2007, 03:43:41 PM »

craigr

Then what scale is the viewport that your floor plan is at?  You need to use that scale as PHX cadie said, to get the size of your text.

If your viewport is set at 1/8"=1'-0" then you would take (.125 / 12 = 96)  So if something is one inch tall (plotted) you would draw it 96 inches tall in model space, for it to appear 1" tall when plotted.  So if something needs to be .1", then you take 96x0.1 = 9.6"  Thus your text size for a floor plan printed at 1/8"=1'-0" would be 9.6" tall.

Huh??

That is WAYYY over my head, I think.

Since I dont' draw any of these floorplans, I don't have a clue about any of that. I thought everything was 1:1 in MSpace, Doors are typically 36" drawn so they are actually 36" doors. If a bldg's hallway is 50' long, then it is in real life, - right?

To create our viewports I always just do the 'view/viewport/new viewport then click where & size I want.

craigr

Josh Nieman

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2007, 03:49:11 PM »

craigr

Huh??

That is WAYYY over my head, I think.

Since I dont' draw any of these floorplans, I don't have a clue about any of that. I thought everything was 1:1 in MSpace, Doors are typically 36" drawn so they are actually 36" doors. If a bldg's hallway is 50' long, then it is in real life, - right?

To create our viewports I always just do the 'view/viewport/new viewport then click where & size I want.

craigr

Yea, everything is DRAWN one to one... but your viewport is set to a scale right?  Like... in the properties of the viewport or on the viewports toolbar, you set the viewport at a proper scale, right?

craigr

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
Standard Scale = Custom
Custom scale = 0"

Is that what you mean?

craigr

Josh Nieman

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2007, 03:58:28 PM »
Standard Scale = Custom
Custom scale = 0"

Is that what you mean?

craigr

You don't set your viewports to a scale?  When you create the viewport, it sizes what is in model space by a certain amount to fit in on the layout.  That amount it is scaled should be a standard scale ( 1/2"=1'-0", 1/8"=1'-0" etc)

You don't use standard scales?  If not... then this will be ultimately more difficult.

craigr

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 04:03:06 PM »
Apparently we do not scale our viewports - sorry, I never learned any of this.

What is the purpose?

I guess I could see it if you needed to know the size of a bldg from a printed copy, but for our purposes, we have never seen the need.

BTW, I appreciate all of this help and patience. As I said, I know very little about this part.

craigr

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 04:05:30 PM »
Did you have a scale to layout options under dimstyle.

That will work even if the vp is not a standard scale.
Acad 2013 and XM

Josh Nieman

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007, 04:11:59 PM »
The benefit of scaling drawings to standard scales is just as you said, being able to scale off sheets.  Technically you shouldn't be scaling off drawings in the field (bad practice) but it's mostly because all legal agencies that structural/architectural would submit plans to for approval (Fire Marshall, City Boards, Parish/County Officials where applicable) require that drawings be to a certain scale.

craigr

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2007, 04:12:28 PM »
I see that, but not sure how it works.

Once I select it, shouldn't it automatically change my text size under the 'text' tab? It doesn't.

craigr

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2007, 04:19:24 PM »
I see that, but not sure how it works.

Once I select it, shouldn't it automatically change my text size under the 'text' tab? It doesn't.

craigr

Me or Josh?  :-)

If me, is the text height under text format=0, the under dim text he height you want (.1). If you checked that option, you may need to update existing dims, but new should be ok

What is does is scale all the dim values to the viewport, 24 for 1/2 =1', x48 for 1/4=1'. Takes the text ht of (.1) x 48, dimgap x48, extention lines x48 etc, basically all the dim values times the viewport.
Back to work  :cry:
Acad 2013 and XM

craigr

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2007, 04:26:47 PM »
I will play with these over the w/e.

Thanks again for all of the help.

craigr

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2007, 10:36:11 AM »
waiting for Craig to post back....man, its only Sunday.......hope I don't sound like a pushy car salesman, but I think this scale to ps is his ticket.

some things I didn't touch on too well:  (had to be quick at work)

I spent some very frustrating days with the text size, (hope you didn't) till I found out the text height, under format text style should be 0. Guess that setting frees it up for other variables (?).  The text height in the dimension settings should be the ht you want (.1) and the box next to scale to ps under the fit tab checked.
 I dim'd in model for several years w/o any problems and everything looked the same no matter the viewport, one dimstyle for everything, (except dif units)the Navy didn't exactly sub dwgs or share files, so there were no concerns of a "clean" model, or any other augments of ms vs ps.

Sunday......(wonder what time Craig goes to work). Maybe I should call.....4 seconds, 3 minutes after 2 AM today, it will be 020304050607, I'm sure he'll be awake for that....
Acad 2013 and XM

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2007, 01:37:04 PM »
A very easy solution to this is to create a block that is a rectangle sized to the printable area of 11x17.
For me it is 16.25X10.5.
If you have a title block, subtract the area used by the titleblock from the rectangle.
If the rectangle is on layer defpoints it wont print (I leave the blocks in the drawing).
Put a line in this block .1" high (your textheight).
Now we have a rectangle in modelspace that represents the usable drawing area using a paperspace viewport scale of 1:1.
Although you are printing 1:1 and modelspace is drawn 1:1, the viewports are still scaling their view of modelspace.
The viewport is acting like a wide angle lens and scaling the view of modelspace down.
If you are printing with your viewport scaled  at 1 to 96 or 1/8"=1'-0" (12/.125=96), scale that block by 96, you now have the a rectangle representing the usable drawing area using a paperspace viewport scale of 1/8"=1'-0"
The line in the block is scaled to the height of your text also.
Now if you don't print to scale that is you zoom in the viewport till it looks good, then your modelspace text height is the scale of that viewport/.1.
The same thing can be accomplished by positiong and scaling your rectangle block to cover the area you want printed in modelspace. Now the text height is still the height of the line in the block.
Now to get that rectangle  just right in your paperspace viewport, click inside the viewport, type z to get into the zoom command, type w to use the window method then type End and snap to the lower left corner of the rectangle then End  again and select the opposite corner.
If your viewport is sized correctly the rectangle will be the size of your viewport.
craigr I've written this out in simple steps as I don't have Lt and I don't know what will and won't work in Lt.