Author Topic: QLeader Text & Arrow Size?  (Read 7414 times)

craigr

QLeader Text & Arrow Size?
« on: May 04, 2007, 12:20:12 PM »
For our Security type jobs, we use a floor plan copied into our title block in mspace.

Once I get it cleanded of everything but room numbers, walls, doors, etc., I lock those layers and put our security devices where they are to be installed.

After I get the devices placed, I use Quick Leaders, (Framed Text), to document the device & address. I always do the QLeader in MSpace along with the floor plans.

Is there an easy way to figure out what size the text needs to be so that it will appear to be the same size as our 'standard' of .1 while in PSpace?

The way I do it now is to guess at the height and type 'TEST', then switch to PSpace and hover a rectangle that is the same size of PSpace text size .1.

I then go back and forth until I get the MSpace text the proper size. - Kind of a pain.

Is there an easier way?

I REALLY don't want to do the leaders & text in PSpace, and left with no other option, will keep doing it the way I am doing it now.

craigr

Kate M

Re: QLeader Text & Arrow Size?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 12:37:06 PM »
Figure out what scale you'll be plotting to, and do the math.

i.e. 1/8" = 1'-0" --> scale factor = 96 --> 0.1 * 96 = 9.6 text height.

Many people use dimension styles with those kinds of scale factors built in, to cut down on the arithmetic.

craigr

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 12:39:15 PM »
But the problem is that some buildings are for example 200' feet long & others may be 100' long.

Wouldn't I have to do this to every dwg?

craigr

Kate M

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 12:53:10 PM »
Yep.

How do you plot? Fit to page, or to scale?

If it's "to scale", then you should have a small number of scales that you need text heights for. If it's "fit to page", then there are bigger problems...

craigr

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 02:09:56 PM »
We always print to 11x17 at our standard printing coordinates - 15.8233,10.1435 by -.6,-.2232.

craigr

Kate M

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 02:20:07 PM »
So your titleblock is 11x17 units, and you scale the building to fit inside it? You always print "full size"?

Sounds like you could always use the same text height, unless I'm missing something...maybe there's a sample file you can post?

Josh Nieman

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 02:25:09 PM »
look at the CHANGESPACE command "chspace" :)

Just do your work in paperspace, over a viewport, then use 'change space' to put that stuff it model space.... it automatically scales it appropriately to the viewport, so make sure the vport is at the right scale for plotting first.

craigr

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 02:33:03 PM »
Yes our title block is 11x17ish, but the floorplans are pasted into MSpace, so if left alone, the text prints different sizes depending on the size of the floorplan.

craigr

craigr

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 02:35:31 PM »
look at the CHANGESPACE command "chspace" :)

Arg!!!

It appears that CHSpace is not a command in LT.

But that sounds exactly like what I am looking for.

craigr

Kate M

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 02:38:48 PM »
Yes our title block is 11x17ish, but the floorplans are pasted into MSpace, so if left alone, the text prints different sizes depending on the size of the floorplan.

craigr
I don't get it...your text prints differently, or theirs? If your titleblock is always the same size, you should always be able to use the same size text. Are you "pasting as block" and then scaling, then adding text?

Included in LT 2007... :|

craigr

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 03:11:51 PM »
All of the text in my PSpace Title Block is .1 and prints / views the way I want it.

When I paste a floorplan into MSpace, then do my QLeaders - in MSpace, I need the text to appear the same size, when printed, as the text that is in PSpace.

craigr

Josh Nieman

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 03:13:01 PM »
Included in LT 2007... :|

ah... that explains it.  I was stumped for a minute, because I had just showed that command to the electrical guys we work with when they were complaining about having to copy my text from paperspace into modelspace and scaling it.  They acted as I had just signed over a property laden with gold to them, when I taught them that command.  They had 2007 at the time, though.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 03:13:22 PM »
All of the text in my PSpace Title Block is .1 and prints / views the way I want it.

When I paste a floorplan into MSpace, then do my QLeaders - in MSpace, I need the text to appear the same size, when printed, as the text that is in PSpace.

craigr

What scale are you printing that floor plan to?

craigr

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 03:16:50 PM »
I always print from PSpace which is 1:1.

craigr

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 03:18:17 PM »
Not sure for LT, but under dimstyle, "Fit" tab there may be a button that is "Scale dimensions to layout (paperspace)". If I remember right, (I've been dim'ing in PS for years now) it will auto scale the dims as though they are in PS with all the defaults.

Maybe?
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle