Author Topic: 3D Model Resource Sites  (Read 4661 times)

Josh Nieman

3D Model Resource Sites
« on: May 01, 2007, 04:22:24 PM »
Post your favorite site for downloading 3d models and resources.

I've gotten a few things off of cben.net and turbosquid.com..

About 5 weeks ago I uploaded a few models to 3dcadbrowser.com and really like their concept.  They have varying levels of membership based on how much you want to pay, but have a free membership option that is basically a "upload one, download one" policy.  All models are free to download, and are all user submitted.  You upload one model and you can download one model.  If your model is downloaded, you can download another (for every time yours is downloaded) which seems to be a pretty cool policy.  You can upload in any of a number of formats, and the people who run it will make it available (assuming it is accepted)

More than 5900 models are available for download right now in many different 3D file formats like .3ds, .dxf, .dwg, .obj, .lwo, .iges and other. We're accepting into 3D CAD Browser catalog high-quality hi-polygonal 3D models only. All 3D models are divided into sub-objects (body, doors, hood, glass, wheels, tires, mirrors and so on for a car, as example).

I like how it's operated... it's very shareware-like.  Keeps people from just stealing everything and not contributing.  I uploaded a few basic models to test it out, and downloaded an electric centrifugal pump just now, and it's a good model, layered properly, came with a handful of materials applied to it... good solid resource.  They have a rather extensive library of actually USEFUL objects (depending on who you are of course) amongst all the normal junk.

Zydenet

Re: 3D Model Resource Sites
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 05:00:31 PM »
So this is where you've been hidding. You didn't by chance download the Halco pump? If you need any other sizes, (pumps, motors, flanges, valves...) just let me know. I have a ton of them.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 05:08:01 PM »
So this is where you've been hidding. You didn't by chance download the Halco pump? If you need any other sizes, (pumps, motors, flanges, valves...) just let me know. I have a ton of them.

It may have been the Halco one, but I use it for basic graphical reference, only, so scaling it to fit my needs is good enough for me.  I don't do any piping or mechanical work, I just plopped it in my model to fill a gap, so to speak.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 05:51:30 PM »

oh, hey, didn't realize who you were until I saw your website link. 

This place is MUCH more friendly and helpful with a great knowledge base that covers a vast array.  Once someone linked me to it, there was no turning back!

And no, it wasn't the Halco pump, it turns out, it was  a simlilar one though. http://3dcadbrowser.com/preview.aspx?ModelCode=8820

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »
Oh no.  He/She? knows Josh. 

*Puts on waders and waits for the Carp*  :-D

BTW, welcome Zydenet.