Author Topic: Most underated / underused commands / variables ...  (Read 22535 times)

M-dub

Most underated / underused commands / variables ...
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2004, 03:27:14 PM »
One thing though...If you use the Polar angles to move or copy, etc., you might have a group of lines, cirecles, etc that were drawn on snap.  When you go to move them at some angle, it might throw them off snap.  It seems to be almost like a virtual 'nearest' osnap or something.  I know that isn't really easy to understand but it's hard to explain.  Bottom line:  It can't be trusted at all times to keep everything on snap.

M-dub

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2004, 03:41:22 PM »
I'm not sure who's had this problem with 3DORBIT, but looking at that 'Communication Centre' with ACAD2k4, I found this and thought I'd post it.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=4306439&linkID=2475323

AutoCAD crashes when 3D ORBIT used

Published date: 2004-06-03
ID: TS84758

Applies to:
AutoCAD® 2004
AutoCAD® Mechanical 2004
Autodesk® Architectural Desktop 2004
Autodesk® Land Desktop 2004
Autodesk® Mechanical Desktop® 2004

Issue

When working in AutoCAD and using the 3D ORBIT command, AutoCAD closes unexpectedly, sometimes with the following error:

AutoCAD Error Aborting, Fatal Error: Unhandled Access Violation Reading 0x0020 Exception at 63995d75h.

Solution

To resolve this issue, download the updated acgs.dll file and follow the instructions in the Readme file from the Autodesk website.

t-bear

« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2004, 05:23:06 PM »
I'm tryin this out...settings at 45-90...so far it's just confusin this ol' man....LOL

daron

« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2004, 07:48:53 PM »
Quote from: M-dub
One thing though...If you use the Polar angles to move or copy, etc., you might have a group of lines, cirecles, etc that were drawn on snap.  When you go to move them at some angle, it might throw them off snap.  It seems to be almost like a virtual 'nearest' osnap or something.  I know that isn't really easy to understand but it's hard to explain.  Bottom line:  It can't be trusted at all times to keep everything on snap.

You are correct, but if I remember correctly, ortho will have the same snapping problems. BTW, I remember why I don't use nearest or perpendicular anymore unless I need to force it, nor should you set parallel to run always. Polar is very much like nearest, therefore, use nearest under duress<sp> only. Perpendicular is a beast that likes to show its ugly head when it's not wanted, therefore it should be caged. Parallel only works right when you force it and you can't snap to another object and remain parallel. It's good when you need it though.

t-bear

« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2004, 10:06:51 PM »
Well....I changed it to 15 deg increments...works better that way.  Still prefer ortho & the old @xxx<xxxDeg.  Bad habits are hard to break....but I'm tryin' ... VERY tryin'.

SMadsen

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2004, 05:40:11 AM »
I'm not sure who's had this problem with 3DORBIT, but...

Thanks M-dub. Wish I had looked up the TD or heard about the update before. 3DOrbit making crashes used to drive me nuts. With A2K5 it became stable, though (or rephrasing: no crashes yet!)

sinc

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2004, 08:10:45 AM »
One thing to be wary of when using POLAR:  as a tracking mode, it's looser than ORTHO, and gives rise to the temptation to just leave it on all the time.  However, as with the normal tracking, if you're zoomed out too far, you can draw lines to the wrong snap if you aren't careful.  You might be thinking you're drawing a line to an intersection snap, but it really goes to the polar tracking point right next to your osnap.  This can be a real headache, because the incorrectly-placed items can be hard to identify and fix.

Because I don't really like the shift-to-aquire, I keep TRACK and POLAR always off unless I'm specifically using them, then I turn them back off as soon as I complete the task.  That way I don't have to worry about an improper snap.  This problem might go away if I got in the habit of using shift-to-aquire, but so far I'm set in my ways...

And, to answer an earlier question, I still use ORTHO more often than POLAR, even though I use both.  The reason is that when I'm rearranging blocks of text, I tend to use ORTHO a lot (although turning on SNAPs actually works better, but is sometimes more trouble depending on what's already been drawn and how) - for this task, other angles are not used.  I prefer this over POLAR set to 90° because it's more obvious when I'm done that ORTHO is on, and less chance of me starting to do something without noticing I still have POLAR on.

daron

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2004, 08:18:54 AM »
Quote from: t-bear
Well.... Bad habits are hard to break....but I'm tryin' ... VERY tryin'.

I know! That's why it's so hard to teach people, unless they want to learn. I tend to be of the philosophy that if money's going to be spent on getting the improvements, I should at least try out the improvements. As far as breaking habits? I've had that problem too. I've learned that if I want to do away with something and use something else, I've got to use it repeatedly. Kinda like making it second nature. I've been using polar so long that when I see others using ortho, I feel like I want to give the object they're moving a push. One of the designers, the other day was drawing an X in a rectangle and had ortho on. I had to keep from wanting to push the line up.

The only problem with multiple angles, is that if you need to set a point at a short distance, it's hard to keep it at the angle you want or to remove the cursor from any set angle. Zooming in'll cure that.

I'm glad to hear that others here were previously using it and I'm also glad to hear that many of you guys have started giving it a try. Even if you don't like it in the end and revert back to ortho, at least you can say you looked into it.

CADaver

« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2004, 08:59:33 PM »
Quote from: SMadsen
I'm not sure who's had this problem with 3DORBIT, but...

Thanks M-dub. Wish I had looked up the TD or heard about the update before. 3DOrbit making crashes used to drive me nuts. With A2K5 it became stable, though (or rephrasing: no crashes yet!)
There is a patch solution for R2002 and supposedly one for R2004.

sinc

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2004, 11:11:34 PM »
I tried some experimentation again - it had been a while since the last time - but I think I got it straight again.  I like having some running osnaps going - endpoint, midpoint, and intersection are nearly always on.  It's too easy to put things in the wrong spot with both running osnaps and tracking enabled all the time, so I generally have POLAR off, and have my Alignment Point Selection configuration option set to Shift To Aquire.

The biggest problem is that running osnaps don't work the same way when POLAR is on as they do when ORTHO is on.  The problem is most noticeable with the intersection running OSNAP.

(For the following discussion, let's ignore the temporary tracking thing - assume Shift To Aquire is ON.  Things are actually the same when this is set to AUTOMATIC, but get a bit convoluted and more complicated than necessary for this post.)

For example, assume you have the intersection running OSNAP on.  If you have ORTHO on, and go to pick a point near enough an intersetion to trigger the OSNAP, you'll get the intersection, even if it violates the ORTHO.  OSNAP overrides ORTHO.

However, OSNAP does NOT override POLAR; it works with it.  Therefore, you'll get what looks like an intersection OSNAP when your POLAR vector intersects another object.  This intersection OSNAP is, of course, visually indistinguishable from any other intersection OSNAP.  Therefore, if you try to draw lines to intersections, it's possible you'll pick the wrong intersection, and get a POLAR-object intersection instead of an object-object intersection (or vice versa).

Similarly, I always turn Shift To Aquire on.  Otherwise, it's too easy to accidently pick a point along an extension of an object.

There are times when POLAR is very useful.  I particularly like having it set to work relative to the last line drawn.  But I only use it sparingly, when the task at hand calls for its particular abilities.  If ORTHO suffices, then I use it instead, since it's safer, and harder to accidently leave on.

sinc

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2004, 11:15:52 PM »
You know, it occurs to me that it would probably be simple enough to fix this problem, if OSNAPS that intersected tracking vectors were visually distinguishable from other OSNAPS.  For example, if the intersect OSNAP is yellow, it represents the intersection of two objects; if it's red, it represents the intersection of the tracking vector and an object...

DEVITG

• Bull Frog
zero fillet with fillet rad saved and restored
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2004, 07:18:13 PM »
Quote from: Kate M
Quote from: t-bear
I don't know how many of you use the chamfer command instead of trim.  Sometimes it's a lot quicker, but many of the folks I've talked with at seminars etc... never thought of it.

I use a zerio-radius fillet..it's got a shorter alias. :-)

I use this ,

;;Tip1769:  F0.LSP            ZERO-RADIUS FILLET     (C)2002, Paul Hernan

;fillet0.lsp - Produces a zero-fillet then reverts back to the previous radius value.
(defun
   C:F0 (/ CMDECHO CMDDIA FRAD E1 E2)
  (princ "\nZero-fillet two lines...")
  (setq
    ERR *ERROR*
    *ERROR* LISP-ERR
    CMDECHO 0
    CMDDIA 0
    E1 NIL
    E2 NIL
    FRAD     (getvar "filletrad")
  ) ;_ end of setq
  (setvar "filletrad" 0)
  (while (not E1) (setq E1 (entsel "\nSelect first object: ")))
  (redraw (car E1) 3)
  (while (not E2) (setq E2 (entsel "\nSelect second object: ")))
  (redraw (car E2) 3)
  (command "fillet" E1 E2)
  (setvar "filletrad" FRAD)
  (princ)
) ;_ end of defun
(defun
   LISP-ERR (MSG)
  (if (/= MSG "Function cancelled")
    (princ (strcat "\nError: " MSG))
  ) ;_ end of if
  (setvar "filletrad" FRAD)
  (princ)
) ;_ end of defun
Location @ Córdoba Argentina Using ACAD 2019  at Window 10

t-bear

« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2004, 03:47:41 PM »
Now that's nice...Thanks Devitg.....
Kate:  I have them both on my n52 so no typing
.... one keystroke enables either one.  I'll be changing my fillet key to run D's lisp......

DEVITG

• Bull Frog
zero radii fillet
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2004, 10:32:11 PM »
It's not mine , I just picked it from Cadalyst.
Location @ Córdoba Argentina Using ACAD 2019  at Window 10

daron

« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2004, 08:44:26 AM »
Sinc, a couple things come to mind. When using osnaps with polar, if you wait for the tooltip, it'll tell you whether or not it's finding a polar intersection or an object intersection. At the same time, who waits for the tooltip?!?, right? My personal solution, when things are too close to tell: force the intersection osnap. I use apparent intersection for any intersection. Anyway, if I force the snap, I can then select one object and then select the object I'm looking to intersect with. I then know that I've gotten the object intersection. Well, that's how I've dealt with the issue you mention. At the same rate, I don't wish to appear to be telling you how you should draw with your software. I'm just putting out information. I'm enjoying this discussion, too. I think it will really open everybody's eyes to the pro's and con's of this particular funtion. Thanks for getting so involved.