Author Topic: Title Blocks are usually Placed in PaperSpace  (Read 19959 times)

OU-CAD

Title Blocks are usually Placed in PaperSpace
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2004, 01:42:52 PM »
CAD-aver:  Really?

Subect: Title Blocks are usually placed in Paper Space

My Comment:  Description of how we get them into paper space

How is this off topic??

Kate M

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2004, 04:47:06 PM »
CADaver was referring to the issue whether title blocks should be blocks or xrefs -- something that's been debated over and over here and elsewhere. :-)

CADaver

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2004, 12:28:27 AM »
Quote from: OU-CAD
CAD-aver:  Really?

Subect: Title Blocks are usually placed in Paper Space

My Comment:  Description of how we get them into paper space

How is this off topic??
Not off-topic, just another one.  After posting here a while you'll find that "off-topic" posting is not as "frowned upon" here as it is in other forums.  For many around here, thread hi-jacking is a hobby (this post  :) ), in fact, some of us have brought it the the level of a fine art.

But I digress.

As our one and only Kate pointed out, I was referring to the comment about TBs as XREFs.  If you'll do a search of the forum, you'll find some quite interesting discussions.

ML

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2004, 07:35:54 PM »
OK, here is why Title Blocks in Model Space are a very BAD idea in my opinion and i have seen this;

If you put a title block in Model Space, you have to scale your title block around the drawing, then goodluck printing to a precise scale.

I have seen instances where people have scaled their drawing (in model space) down to fit in a standard size (ie 24X36) title block making a door that should be 36" now 3/32"

I will never agree to putting a title block in Model, it is why paper space was developed.

CADaver

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2004, 07:57:08 PM »
Quote from: ML
If you put a title block in Model Space, you have to scale your title block around the drawing, then goodluck printing to a precise scale.
If you scale the TB  precisely, it is very easy to plot to a precise scale.  We did it for years prior to R11.

I  have seen instances where people have scaled their drawing (in model space) down to fit in a standard size (ie 24X36) title block making a door that should be 36" now 3/32"
And every now and then you run into a total git.

I will never agree to putting a title block in Model, it is why paper space was developed.
That's only partially accurate.  According the the beta test set I had for R11, it was developed to provide a method for plotting different views of a 3D model.  Until that was a possibility, 3D was, at best, cute.

ML

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2004, 09:32:02 PM »
Well, you can certainly set you scale when plotting something drawn in Model Space, but the title block (If in Model Space) will never be at an accurate scale and as far as i can see, would interfere with an accurate scale of everything in Model

If I were to put a  title block in Model (It would be a cold day in hell)
then I would absolutely print Scaled to Fit

:lol:

CADaver

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2004, 10:15:54 PM »
Well, you can certainly set you scale when plotting something drawn in Model Space, but the title block (If in Model Space) will never be at an accurate scale and as far as i can see, would interfere with an accurate scale of everything in Model

If I were to put a  title block in Model (It would be a cold day in hell)
then I would absolutely print Scaled to Fit

:lol:

It aint rocket science.  Insert the border at the dimscale, then plot to the dimscale.  It's as accurate as PS.  Plotting to fit pretty much guarantees it won't be to scale.

ML

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2004, 10:19:07 PM »
Exactly

I only plot not to scale when it is not necessary to have a scale
But, I still believe it is a bad practice to put title blocks in Model but that is my opinion, it doesn't make it right.

I just believe it is asking for problems especially if you have beginner CAD guys.

sinc

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2004, 11:44:26 AM »
The A/E/C CADD Standard that the DOD uses specifies that title blocks should go in model space, in their own drawing.  All model information goes in one or more "model" drawings.  Each plotted page has a separate "plot" drawing - no multiple layouts allowed.  The various model drawings are then XREFd together, along with the title block, in the "plot" drawings.

This method works, and does not have any issues with scaling, since that is all controlled in the "plot" drawing.  Your title block is in a seperate drawing from your model, so it is isolated from your model, which is also good.  It all works, it just creates a proliferation of files - what could be done in one drawing file now takes three, all XREFd together.

The only work we do that follows this standard is for the US Air Force Academy, and they actually ignore this part of the standard.  They keep the "model" and "plot" drawing concept, and still do the 1 printed page = 1 "plot" drawing, but they have us put the title block in paper space in the "plot" drawing.

ML

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2004, 11:47:43 AM »
OK, granted, so how do you do multiple scales within one title block for different parts of the same floor plan utilizing model space?

Mark

sinc

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2004, 11:56:19 AM »
I don't understand the question...

There is no difference between a title block that is placed in paper space, and one that is XREF'd into model space at the inverse of the scale of the paperspace viewport it will be viewed in.

If you define a title block that works when you put it in paper space, it will work if you put it in model space in a seperate drawing and XREF it in at the appropriate scale.  From the printed page, you can't tell the difference.

CADaver

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2004, 12:03:11 PM »
Exactly
I only plot not to scale when it is not necessary to have a scale

It should never be necessary, a good drawing will contain all the information necessary to accomplish the task.  But that's a whole 'nuther thread.

But, I still believe it is a bad practice to put title blocks in Model but that is my opinion, it doesn't make it right.

I just believe it is asking for problems especially if you have beginner CAD guys.
For years, until R11, that was the only practice, so I can't agree that it is bad practice.  I will agree that PS is considerably more efficient.

ML

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2004, 12:05:27 PM »
OK, the answer is, you can't in Model

In Paperspace, with one title block, you can create multiple viewports (ie mview) all having different scales and showing different sections of your plan.

Mark

CADaver

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2004, 12:05:45 PM »
Quote from: sinc
The A/E/C CADD Standard that the DOD uses specifies that title blocks should go in model space, in their own drawing.  All model information goes in one or more "model" drawings.  Each plotted page has a separate "plot" drawing - no multiple layouts allowed.  The various model drawings are then XREFd together, along with the title block, in the "plot" drawings.

The only work we do that follows this standard is for the US Air Force Academy, and they actually ignore this part of the standard.  They keep the "model" and "plot" drawing concept, and still do the 1 printed page = 1 "plot" drawing, but they have us put the title block in paper space in the "plot" drawing.
This is interesting, we do work for the DoD through CoE this "standard" has never come up.  We've been using PS and multiple tabs for quite some time without comment... yet.  It might someday jump up bite us in the butt, but so far nothing.

ML

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2004, 12:08:18 PM »
So, the bottom line is

It is an individual thing, I just think Paper is more versatile for your title block layouts. Just keep in mind that if you ever have an entry level person working with you and placing a title block in model, the chances of error are increased

Next subject  :o