Author Topic: Title Blocks are usually Placed in PaperSpace  (Read 20195 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Title Blocks are usually Placed in PaperSpace
« on: June 24, 2004, 07:18:08 PM »
Civil3D 2020

Dent Cermak

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 07:24:50 PM »
In multiple sheet layouts that works. In my field, the client wants the job on 1 sheet as much as possible, so this is really a "non-issue" for me.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 07:35:05 PM »
See my response here.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

CADaver

Re: All Title Blocks shall be Placed in PaperSpace
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 10:53:08 PM »
Quote from: MSTG007
All Title Blocks shall be Placed in PaperSpace
Of course.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2004, 12:54:57 AM »
I concur with MP ... it should be defined within the standards of the company paying for the drawings.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

CADaver

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 03:33:27 PM »
Quote from: Keith
I concur with MP ... it should be defined within the standards of the company paying for the drawings.
But that is true of everything.  If the client wants it on a paper bag with a crayon, and is willing to pay for it, that's what he gets.  I assumed we were discussing general cad standards.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2004, 04:24:56 PM »
We are, but then wouldn't that apply to the company that is paying for the drawings?

I mean if we are discussing what standards SHOULD be, would it be a stretch then to presume that the client who wants his TB in MS is not doing it how it SHOULD be ..... If that is the case,  then these discussions may likely produce some good results. BUT if the final say is that the client has the final say, then if the client wants it in MS then it is correct to put it in MS....this also bleeds over to all other discussions, layers, linetypes, textstyles etc...what the client wants, the client gets....It just so happens that in my office, the client is the business owner, and he has told me that I am to define the standards regarding drawings. So effectively it is what I want...and that being said then, if I want the TB in MS is that wrong? since by proxy I am acting on behalf of the client?
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

hendie

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 03:40:16 AM »
I've always placed TB's in paperspace, until I came to work for my current emplyer, that is.
I like the functionality and flexibility that TB's in paperspace allow.
However, in my current position, all dwg work is done in MS, including TB's.
We only use 1 (A3) Title Block, all blocks are not drawn to scale, in fact almost everything I do here is backward compared to what I would say should be standard ~ but it works. And now that I've used this system for around 4 years my temper and frustration has calmed down.

CADaver

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2004, 07:02:15 AM »
Quote from: hendie
However, in my current position, all dwg work is done in MS, including TB's.
Why? Is there some reason they wish to do so?

hendie

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2004, 07:17:25 AM »
Cadaver, this is a really unique position ~ everything is set up for the end-users benefit.... the end user being a girl on the shop floor  :horror:
bear in mind that these girls have no technical background....
we only ever use one titleblock (A3) ~ our drawings consist of between 5 and 8 blocks (normally).
The blocks are not drawn to scale, nor are the blocks in some instances technically "correct" ~ the blocks are more "graphical representations" of the manufactured product.
It's hard trying to explain it wthout showing you an actual drawing which I am not allowed to do.
We've tried educating the women on the shop floor but that fish in Finding Nemo springs to mind.. what was her name.. Dorey ?? ~ well I guess you can get the picture.

I'm not saying this is the "right" way or the wrong way~ merely that this is the way that works here and included it as an example that there is always an exception to the rule.

*edited to add*
another important point (from our perspective..) is that the drawings are plotted by the end user by third party software ~ and for some reason it doesn't like paperspace

CADaver

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2004, 07:47:45 AM »
Quote from: hendie
Cadaver, this is a really unique position ~ everything is set up for the end-users benefit.... the end user being a girl on the shop floor  :horror:
bear in mind that these girls have no technical background....
we only ever use one titleblock (A3) ~ our drawings consist of between 5 and 8 blocks (normally).
The blocks are not drawn to scale, nor are the blocks in some instances technically "correct" ~ the blocks are more "graphical representations" of the manufactured product.
It's hard trying to explain it wthout showing you an actual drawing which I am not allowed to do.
We've tried educating the women on the shop floor but that fish in Finding Nemo springs to mind.. what was her name.. Dorey ?? ~ well I guess you can get the picture.

I'm not saying this is the "right" way or the wrong way~ merely that this is the way that works here and included it as an example that there is always an exception to the rule.

*edited to add*
another important point (from our perspective..) is that the drawings are plotted by the end user by third party software ~ and for some reason it doesn't like paperspace

I was just curious, sometimes when the procedures are xplained a better way can be formulated....  then again, sometimes not. :wink:

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2004, 02:53:28 AM »
My 2 cents ...

Generally speaking our title blocks reside in paperspace in typical engineering drawings, drawings that reference one or more models in modelspace, have one or more viewports in paperspace to present views of the models and are annotated in paperspace.

But non model type drawings, like ISOs, schematics, single line diagrams, loop drawings etc. are created entirely in modelspace, including the titleblock, at 1:1. There is no need for viewports, hense no need for paperspace.

This is typically how our clients want us to treat "model" and "non model" drawings, and we happily comply. :)
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

CADaver

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2004, 07:44:02 AM »
Quote from: MP
But non model type drawings, like ISOs, schematics, single line diagrams, loop drawings etc. are created entirely in modelspace, including the titleblock, at 1:1. There is no need for viewports, hense no need for paperspace.

This is typically how our clients want us to treat "model" and "non model" drawings, and we happily comply. :)
For us, isos are model drawings.  We pull the iso from the 3D model and annotate it.

OU-CAD

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2004, 11:19:22 AM »
We are Arch / Struct Engr. firm.  Our TB's are a separate file x-ref'd into each drawing file in paper space.  That way, all TB's are the same and if change  needs to be made to Title Block, we only have to do it once.  (Additional Info like sheet names and sheet numbers are part of the individual drawing - also in PS)

CADaver

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2004, 11:57:26 AM »
Quote from: OU-CAD
That way, all TB's are the same and if change  needs to be made to Title Block, we only have to do it once.
Whole nuther topic, do a search

OU-CAD

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2004, 01:42:52 PM »
CAD-aver:  Really?

Subect: Title Blocks are usually placed in Paper Space

My Comment:  Description of how we get them into paper space

How is this off topic??

Kate M

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2004, 04:47:06 PM »
CADaver was referring to the issue whether title blocks should be blocks or xrefs -- something that's been debated over and over here and elsewhere. :-)

CADaver

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2004, 12:28:27 AM »
Quote from: OU-CAD
CAD-aver:  Really?

Subect: Title Blocks are usually placed in Paper Space

My Comment:  Description of how we get them into paper space

How is this off topic??
Not off-topic, just another one.  After posting here a while you'll find that "off-topic" posting is not as "frowned upon" here as it is in other forums.  For many around here, thread hi-jacking is a hobby (this post  :) ), in fact, some of us have brought it the the level of a fine art.

But I digress.

As our one and only Kate pointed out, I was referring to the comment about TBs as XREFs.  If you'll do a search of the forum, you'll find some quite interesting discussions.

ML

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2004, 07:35:54 PM »
OK, here is why Title Blocks in Model Space are a very BAD idea in my opinion and i have seen this;

If you put a title block in Model Space, you have to scale your title block around the drawing, then goodluck printing to a precise scale.

I have seen instances where people have scaled their drawing (in model space) down to fit in a standard size (ie 24X36) title block making a door that should be 36" now 3/32"

I will never agree to putting a title block in Model, it is why paper space was developed.

CADaver

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2004, 07:57:08 PM »
Quote from: ML
If you put a title block in Model Space, you have to scale your title block around the drawing, then goodluck printing to a precise scale.
If you scale the TB  precisely, it is very easy to plot to a precise scale.  We did it for years prior to R11.

I  have seen instances where people have scaled their drawing (in model space) down to fit in a standard size (ie 24X36) title block making a door that should be 36" now 3/32"
And every now and then you run into a total git.

I will never agree to putting a title block in Model, it is why paper space was developed.
That's only partially accurate.  According the the beta test set I had for R11, it was developed to provide a method for plotting different views of a 3D model.  Until that was a possibility, 3D was, at best, cute.

ML

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2004, 09:32:02 PM »
Well, you can certainly set you scale when plotting something drawn in Model Space, but the title block (If in Model Space) will never be at an accurate scale and as far as i can see, would interfere with an accurate scale of everything in Model

If I were to put a  title block in Model (It would be a cold day in hell)
then I would absolutely print Scaled to Fit

:lol:

CADaver

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2004, 10:15:54 PM »
Well, you can certainly set you scale when plotting something drawn in Model Space, but the title block (If in Model Space) will never be at an accurate scale and as far as i can see, would interfere with an accurate scale of everything in Model

If I were to put a  title block in Model (It would be a cold day in hell)
then I would absolutely print Scaled to Fit

:lol:

It aint rocket science.  Insert the border at the dimscale, then plot to the dimscale.  It's as accurate as PS.  Plotting to fit pretty much guarantees it won't be to scale.

ML

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2004, 10:19:07 PM »
Exactly

I only plot not to scale when it is not necessary to have a scale
But, I still believe it is a bad practice to put title blocks in Model but that is my opinion, it doesn't make it right.

I just believe it is asking for problems especially if you have beginner CAD guys.

sinc

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2004, 11:44:26 AM »
The A/E/C CADD Standard that the DOD uses specifies that title blocks should go in model space, in their own drawing.  All model information goes in one or more "model" drawings.  Each plotted page has a separate "plot" drawing - no multiple layouts allowed.  The various model drawings are then XREFd together, along with the title block, in the "plot" drawings.

This method works, and does not have any issues with scaling, since that is all controlled in the "plot" drawing.  Your title block is in a seperate drawing from your model, so it is isolated from your model, which is also good.  It all works, it just creates a proliferation of files - what could be done in one drawing file now takes three, all XREFd together.

The only work we do that follows this standard is for the US Air Force Academy, and they actually ignore this part of the standard.  They keep the "model" and "plot" drawing concept, and still do the 1 printed page = 1 "plot" drawing, but they have us put the title block in paper space in the "plot" drawing.

ML

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2004, 11:47:43 AM »
OK, granted, so how do you do multiple scales within one title block for different parts of the same floor plan utilizing model space?

Mark

sinc

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2004, 11:56:19 AM »
I don't understand the question...

There is no difference between a title block that is placed in paper space, and one that is XREF'd into model space at the inverse of the scale of the paperspace viewport it will be viewed in.

If you define a title block that works when you put it in paper space, it will work if you put it in model space in a seperate drawing and XREF it in at the appropriate scale.  From the printed page, you can't tell the difference.

CADaver

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2004, 12:03:11 PM »
Exactly
I only plot not to scale when it is not necessary to have a scale

It should never be necessary, a good drawing will contain all the information necessary to accomplish the task.  But that's a whole 'nuther thread.

But, I still believe it is a bad practice to put title blocks in Model but that is my opinion, it doesn't make it right.

I just believe it is asking for problems especially if you have beginner CAD guys.
For years, until R11, that was the only practice, so I can't agree that it is bad practice.  I will agree that PS is considerably more efficient.

ML

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2004, 12:05:27 PM »
OK, the answer is, you can't in Model

In Paperspace, with one title block, you can create multiple viewports (ie mview) all having different scales and showing different sections of your plan.

Mark

CADaver

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2004, 12:05:45 PM »
Quote from: sinc
The A/E/C CADD Standard that the DOD uses specifies that title blocks should go in model space, in their own drawing.  All model information goes in one or more "model" drawings.  Each plotted page has a separate "plot" drawing - no multiple layouts allowed.  The various model drawings are then XREFd together, along with the title block, in the "plot" drawings.

The only work we do that follows this standard is for the US Air Force Academy, and they actually ignore this part of the standard.  They keep the "model" and "plot" drawing concept, and still do the 1 printed page = 1 "plot" drawing, but they have us put the title block in paper space in the "plot" drawing.
This is interesting, we do work for the DoD through CoE this "standard" has never come up.  We've been using PS and multiple tabs for quite some time without comment... yet.  It might someday jump up bite us in the butt, but so far nothing.

ML

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2004, 12:08:18 PM »
So, the bottom line is

It is an individual thing, I just think Paper is more versatile for your title block layouts. Just keep in mind that if you ever have an entry level person working with you and placing a title block in model, the chances of error are increased

Next subject  :o

CADaver

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2004, 12:09:26 PM »
OK, the answer is, you can't in Model

Mark
Limited imagination eh?

Sure you can, several ways.  One is just scale up the detail in modelspace.  We had tools to scale 'em up and down as needed and to set the right annotation sizes.  Since R11, you can XREF the detail into MS on the border at the proper scale and carry on.  Or block it in.  Or...  well there are several ways to skin that cat.

CADaver

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2004, 12:11:07 PM »
So, the bottom line is

It is an individual thing, I just think Paper is more versatile for your title block layouts.
Oh, I agree.

Just keep in mind that if you ever have an entry level person working with you and placing a title block in model, the chances of error are increased
Oh? why?  Scaling the detail is little different than scaling the zoom factor in the viewport.

ML

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2004, 12:13:38 PM »
I would NEVER scale anything up in Model
If a door is 36" wide in real life, it should ALWAYS be 36" in Model

If you scale anything up in Model, it should be the title block ONLY if you are going in that direction.

I just realized, there is one case where I do put a title block in Model

I have macros in work that we use to insert the title blocks into paperspace in our drawings

The source title block (blocked in drawing) needs to have the title block in Model Space as Paper space can not be blocked in.

Still, My title blocks are the actual and proper sizes (ie 17X22, 24X36) and so on