Author Topic: Would you say that drafting rules taught in classroom still apply?  (Read 7102 times)

CottageCGirl

Re: Would you say that drafting rules taught in classroom still apply?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2007, 01:30:57 PM »
  I had a very grumpy framing foreman who set me straight on the difference between a lumber "pile" and a lumber "stack".  I thought he was a major tool but..... I remembered it.  :-)

a little off the drafting front, we have a constant battle over curtins VS drapes.....
"drapes"---not a noun...."curtins' ----a noun

curtins can drape...but drapes can not curtin....

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2007, 01:34:12 PM »
  I had a very grumpy framing foreman who set me straight on the difference between a lumber "pile" and a lumber "stack".  I thought he was a major tool but..... I remembered it.  :-)

a little off the drafting front, we have a constant battle over curtins VS drapes.....
"drapes"---not a noun...."curtins' ----a noun

So you are curtian department not drape department. 
Got it.  I will not try to screw it up again.

**waliking away*
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2007, 01:57:45 PM »

That's got a catchy little jingle to it.   :-)

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2007, 02:01:41 PM »
That's got a catchy little jingle to it.   :-)

It's got a good beat and you can drink to it.  :-)

Avanti

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2007, 03:21:15 PM »
Years ago (and I mean many) before computers, the standards were strictly enforced because everything was microfilmed.  If you didn't have the lettering large enough, or enough contrast, then you couldn't read the "blow-back" prints.  Gosh, that makes me look old!

Yes, I did draw on the board for years.  I like CAD much better.  Wouldn't go back for anything.

As for what is taught, remember that most teachers never spent a day in industry.  They teach what they were taught.  Personally, I like working to a standard.  I think consistant drawings make a much better presentation.

Ok, that's the end of the history lesson.

Dinosaur

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2007, 03:30:06 PM »
Years ago (and I mean many) before computers, the standards were strictly enforced because everything was microfilmed.  If you didn't have the lettering large enough, or enough contrast, then you couldn't read the "blow-back" prints.  Gosh, that makes me look old!

Yes, I did draw on the board for years.  I like CAD much better.  Wouldn't go back for anything.

As for what is taught, remember that most teachers never spent a day in industry.  They teach what they were taught.  Personally, I like working to a standard.  I think consistant drawings make a much better presentation.

Ok, that's the end of the history lesson.

Interestingly, I am still fighting the same lettering size issues today.  Our construction sets are being scanned into half size by the cities around here after approval and we are finding most of the new design standards are requiring not only minimum .125" lettering where 0.10" or even 0.08" had been previously acceptable, but our standard 24" x 36" sheets must now be 22" x 34" so they can reduce to a true half size scale of the original.

CottageCGirl

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2007, 03:33:10 PM »
or try faxing a 30k sqft building......."It won't be very clear.." " I know, just fax it anyway.." :?

Josh Nieman

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2007, 03:41:47 PM »
or try faxing a 30k sqft building......."It won't be very clear.." " I know, just fax it anyway.." :?

I simply don't understand why people demand to keep using faxes... I can't think of a more prevalent obsolete technology that serves no purpose but forcing people to make crappy looking drawings that come out clear on a fax, but kindergarten-esque when plotted.

CADaver

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2007, 05:43:32 PM »

I simply don't understand why people demand to keep using faxes... I can't think of a more prevalent obsolete technology that serves no purpose but forcing people to make crappy looking drawings that come out clear on a fax, but kindergarten-esque when plotted.
Standard reply: "Gee, we haven't had a fax machine here in a couple of years, you can pay to have it FED-X'd... or I can just email it to you... or it's already on the FTP site I told you about last month, you can just plot it from there on a letter size sheet if you just need it that small."

sinc

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2007, 08:48:11 PM »
Our construction sets are being scanned into half size by the cities around here after approval and we are finding most of the new design standards are requiring not only minimum .125" lettering where 0.10" or even 0.08" had been previously acceptable, but our standard 24" x 36" sheets must now be 22" x 34" so they can reduce to a true half size scale of the original.

Ouch!  We rarely use anything bigger than 0.12", if you exclude title blocks.  Most of our plats would take twice as many pages if the minimum letter size were 0.125"...

As for people who want a "true half-size scale of the original" that they then proceed to fax multiple times before scanning to PDF...    :-D  :-D  :-D   :lmao:

Dinosaur

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2007, 09:19:27 PM »
Our construction sets are being scanned into half size by the cities around here after approval and we are finding most of the new design standards are requiring not only minimum .125" lettering where 0.10" or even 0.08" had been previously acceptable, but our standard 24" x 36" sheets must now be 22" x 34" so they can reduce to a true half size scale of the original.

Ouch!  We rarely use anything bigger than 0.12", if you exclude title blocks.  Most of our plats would take twice as many pages if the minimum letter size were 0.125"...

As for people who want a "true half-size scale of the original" that they then proceed to fax multiple times before scanning to PDF...    :-D  :-D  :-D   :lmao:

We are getting some relief on the plats thanks to a state law that defines a 30"x36" border as a legal size that must be accepted if a plat is drawn on such and also still allows 0.08 text.  Our problems are the paper sets of construction plans the cities are archiving electronically at half size.  Most of this seems to be coming from new APWA guidelines everybody is signing on to around here.  The galling part is that these criteria are being adopted with no notice and required details in many cases are not available in dwg format.  We can make do with converted images of full pdf sheets, but this has increased our total detail sheets 3 fold and is yielding results of questionable quality.  Be warned . . . if your agencies start adopting the latest APWA . . . a LOT of things change and the accessibility sidewalk requirements alone require a bare minmum 2 - 3 extra sheets.

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2007, 11:01:00 PM »
Some:

In the immortal, (for me), words of Mr. Siebel "A good drawing is one that doesn't need verbal explanation"
That and the fact there is no need of a "hot water heater". <Mr. PHX...why do you need to heat "hot" water?>     :?
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2007, 09:00:57 AM »
Some:

In the immortal, (for me), words of Mr. Siebel "A good drawing is one that doesn't need verbal explanation"
That and the fact there is no need of a "hot water heater". <Mr. PHX...why do you need to heat "hot" water?>     :?
:lmao: :lmao:
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans