Author Topic: Text is usually placed in to Paper SPACE  (Read 38632 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Text is usually placed in to Paper SPACE
« on: June 24, 2004, 07:17:04 PM »
Text is usually placed in to Paper SPACE . ..  .. .?

what do you think
Civil3D 2020

Dent Cermak

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 07:21:42 PM »
NO! NO! NO!! When AutoCad first came out they STRESSED that paper space was primarialy a plotting tool. I do not believe in doing ANY drawing in paper space. In my field I don't have much call for paper space, I use it to break large projects into individual sheets. But that is a dying trend. The days of the paper or mylar prints are numbered. Most clients want the topos all in one file as one big drawing. They prefer to do their own sheet layouts. They use the ecopy on a laptop like we used to use blue prints.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 07:31:26 PM »
My take on this is all annotation (text, dimensions, blocks w/attribute data) shall be placed consistantly in the space indicated by the spec, not a mish mash.

We have had clients that wanted MS, others that wanted PS. There are compelling reasons for either (if Matt sees this I challenge him not to join in) which I care not to entertain here.

The bottom line is consistancy, and a spec must address the issue or suffer the whims of CADD Operators who sport widely varying ideas of where annotation should go. You do want all your drawings to be the same.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

t-bear

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 07:50:37 AM »
I agree that it is probably up to the company to determine whether notes, call-outs etc... are in MS or PS, but it needs to be CONSISTANT!.  We had a drafter (sorta) who placed leadered notes in whichever "space" he happened to be in at the time....I wonder whatever happened to him............
The industry trend is towards modeling in MS (scaled 1=1) and everything else in PS (Scaled to the sheet size), but until AutoDORK fixes their PS dimensioning set-up, We'll do THAT in MS too.
Like MP said.....consistancy is the key....

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 07:52:38 AM »
don't agree with this one, all text should be in model space with non specific drawing notes only being placed in paper space.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 08:09:30 AM »
Quote from: Hudster
don't agree with this one, all text should be in model space with non specific drawing notes only being placed in paper space.

I think discussions that include words like "should" are good and contribute to our collective understanding of the pros and cons of various techniques, but let me ask you this -- what do you do when your client, who has awarded you a huge contract that will provide you 3 years of employ, indicates that his specification mandates all annotation will be in paperspace; not negotiable? Do you argue with him "why your way is better" or do you ensure that all your ducks are in a row because he has the right as a customer to specify the deliverable? :)
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 08:22:52 AM »
well how can you be consistent with this...

lets talk... what are the pros for text and notes dims in paper space and model space

and the cons
Civil3D 2020

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 09:03:53 AM »
his specification mandates all annotation will be in paperspace; not negotiable?

If i was working directly for him, it's his call, but if my company are producing our layouts then it's as per our standards.

Text in paper space is ok, if you don't move anything, but when things revise, which they often do, its a lot easier to relocate text on the model space layer when you are moving equipment than afterwards in paper space.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 09:13:32 AM »
Ease of revision, if your notes & dimensions are in ModelSpace with the entities they are describing, it is much faster and less confussing to most new drafters (we do seem to go through quite a few).

We try to keep it simple and easy to duplicate, the stanadards we have.
I drink beer and I know things....

Kate M

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 09:19:46 AM »
Personally, I like to be able to see the annotation when I'm working on the drawing, to make sure that I don't accidentally draw on top of a note. Besides, it would make rearranging a crowded detail sheet a nightmare -- with text/dimensions in model space, you can do it with one click on the viewport.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 01:23:52 PM »
WHOA NELLY!? I can see this getting into a heated discussion. ...Im in!

Entities should be drawn full scale in Model space.
Text "associated" with entities in model space. (Like leaders and their text) should also be in model.

All notes pertaining to the TTLBLK and titles (schedules, details, and misc non scalable things) should be in paperspace.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2004, 01:38:55 PM »
Quote from: Se7en
WHOA NELLY!? I can see this getting into a heated discussion. ...Im in!

Entities should be drawn full scale in Model space.
Text "associated" with entities in model space. (Like leaders and their text) should also be in model.

All notes pertaining to the TTLBLK and titles (schedules, details, and misc non scalable things) should be in paperspace.

How heated can it get when I agree with you?   :D

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2004, 02:01:22 PM »
Quote from: Lance Pickens
Oh yeah?! Well you ...you ...you dummy head!

*Se7en tries to 'Heat things up a bit'*

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2004, 02:04:55 PM »
Quote from: Se7en
Quote from: Lance Pickens
Oh yeah?! Well you ...you ...you dummy head!

*Se7en tries to 'Heat things up a bit'*

Easy there, I've got my Teflon suit on today. :D

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2004, 02:07:29 PM »
lmao! smarta55!

Donate to TheSwamp.org