Author Topic: What's the difference between OpenDCL and ObjectDCL?  (Read 28563 times)

What's the difference between OpenDCL and ObjectDCL?
« on: April 12, 2007, 10:37:27 AM »
OpenDCL is free and ObjectDCL is not, correct?  How are the two different (besides names and $$)?

**edit**
changed subject line
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 10:42:52 AM by Mark Thomas »

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
Re: What's the difference between OpenDCL and ObjectDCL?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 10:45:17 AM »
OpenDCL Rocks, ObjectDCL is still vaporware

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 10:53:55 AM »

+1 :wink:
James Buzbee
Windows 8

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 10:54:32 AM »
**edit**
changed subject line
Thanks Mark.  I meant to do that but got caught up in something else.  I don't Se7en yelling at me for using a non-descriptive subject line.   :wink:

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 10:55:51 AM »

+1 :wink:
But they're essentially the same thing, right, so why would someone try to sell something that someone else is giving away for free??  I just don't get it.

I've been a little hesitant to dive into OpenDCL out of fear that it won't be supported/free(ware) for future versions.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 11:00:43 AM by Matt W »

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 11:00:34 AM »
neither do many of us . . .  :|
James Buzbee
Windows 8

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 11:16:41 AM »
I've been a little hesitant to dive into OpenDCL out of fear that it won't be supported/free(ware) for future versions.

Putting the business model aside, I would feel more comfortable using OpenDCL because it is open source.
You have the source. If ObjectDCL goes belly up. What do you have? Zip (been there, done that).
At least with the open version you have something to work with.

Tramber

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 11:25:16 AM »
I think O and O are great.

But one might have a French version, while the other not.

For me it is not a problem, but for the others it could be great. I know what I'm talking about, I'm a very very active member of a french forum were we already discussed about the language topic in softwares use. Quite a few don't wan't to invest their time because of their lacks in English.

BazzaCAD

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 05:18:14 PM »
The financial side of OpenDCL is already being discussed here:
https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1710703&forum_id=658811

Basically OpenDCL will always be free, but if you want to support it you can....
Like others have said, if ObjectDCL goes belly up, your screwed.
Owen says he'll put together some documentation on how to build OpenDCL in VS2005 Express for Acad2007+ (not 2006).
So if for some strange reason no one wants to support OpenDCL any more, at least you can download it and build it for free & I'm sure you could find someone in the forums to help you fix whatever you're trying to fix in the source code...

BazzaCAD

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »
I do agree with you C# is the way to go. I am a CAD Mng. but old habbits are hard to break. Plus I really don't want to convert my hug number of lsp files to C#. So if I DO have to rely on a 3rd party app. I'd take the open source over the closed any day. That's all I'm saying.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 06:21:51 PM »
I can continue, writing forever.... but the point it is very clear, it will worth the effort to jump for a powerful language, if cannot be C++ then go for C#.... it is getting late.

Luis,
We seem to be having this discussion a lot. Remember that a LOT of customisers dont want or need to learn a higher level language. Also, during the 3 or 4 or 5 years it takes to become mildly proficient at ObjectARX, development of small applications can't just stop. While I admire your fervor and zeal in pushing for C++ development the desire must be tempered with a little reality.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

CADaver

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 08:18:45 PM »
I really wish someone would stop deleting posts in threads, it mucks up the whole continuity of the discussion.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 08:20:58 PM »
Yep, it pisses me off as well.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 09:08:18 PM »
I surely do acknowledge your right to remove posts, but we were having a 'conversation' where one thought <post> leads to another. Suddenly having those posts removed makes my posts a waste of time .. and I hate waste.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 09:43:05 PM »
I surely do acknowledge your right to remove posts, but we were having a 'conversation' where one thought <post> leads to another. Suddenly having those posts removed makes my posts a waste of time .. and I hate waste.

On that note *lol*...I got one for ya...I especially like the thread about deleting posts *lol* where in which a ``moderator''--who started the thread vent (that's prolly the best part)--started deleting their posts *lmao* ...Oh good times.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org