Author Topic: Difference between 'save' & 'qsave'?  (Read 12416 times)

craigr

Difference between 'save' & 'qsave'?
« on: April 05, 2007, 09:05:43 AM »
From a previous post - (I didn't want to steal it).

What is the difference between 'save' and 'qsave'?

I'm just curious,
craigr

Re: Difference between 'save' & 'qsave'?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 09:14:16 AM »
From the 2007 help file...

The SAVE command....
Command entry: save

The Save Drawing As dialog box (a standard file selection dialog box) is displayed. Save the drawing under the current file name, or enter a different file name to save a copy of the drawing under that name.

SAVE is available only from the command line. The Save option on the File menu or on the Standard toolbar is QSAVE. If the drawing is named, QSAVE saves the drawing without displaying the Save Drawing As dialog box. If the drawing is unnamed, the Save Drawing As dialog box is displayed. Enter a file name to both name and save the drawing.

The QSAVE Command....
Command entry: qsave

The QSAVE command is equivalent to clicking Save on the File menu.

If the drawing is named, the program saves the drawing using the file format specified on the Open and Save tab of the Options dialog box and does not request a file name. If the drawing is unnamed, the Save Drawing As dialog box (see SAVEAS) is displayed and the drawing is saved with the file name and format you specify.

If the drawing is read-only, use the SAVEAS command to save the changed file under a different name.

CADaver

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 10:31:15 AM »
At one time in a version far far away there was a distinct difference in that save performed a full database re-write and qsave only re-wrote changed data.  Now there is no functional difference.

craigr

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 10:41:14 AM »
At one time in a version far far away there was a distinct difference in that save performed a full database re-write and qsave only re-wrote changed data.  Now there is no functional difference.

That's what I was looking for.

I thought perhaps it was something along those lines.

Thanks,
craigr

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 05:27:25 PM »
I'm thinking this may no longer be true.
Recently noticing that I am losing some data if I _QSAVE a file and a crash occurs.
Perhaps a bit tired of losing data; moving to full SAVE mode for a while to ease my fears.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

RC

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 05:52:52 PM »
A crash kills the current session without injury to the data already written to the DWG file.  QSAVE writes the current status of the session to the DWG file, a crash or quit will have no effect on that DWG file.

Are you talking about an autosave??

(way to dredge up a seven year old post  ^-^)

Hangman

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 06:08:45 PM »
A crash kills the current session without injury to the data already written to the DWG file.  QSAVE writes the current status of the session to the DWG file, a crash or quit will have no effect on that DWG file.

Are you talking about an autosave??

Actually, I believe Farrell is correct, in that under the Options menu / Open & Save tab, you have the File Save Incremental save percentage (I believe this started in v2012) which saves incrementally until you reach the percentage listed, then it will save to the file.

I have mine set at 15% but with it so low, it also slows down the overall performance of the software but I prefer to save what I have done rather than have the performance and have a possible crash / power outage and lose what I've done.

[edit] So there is still a difference between the 'save' and 'qsave' functions.
Hangman  8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Drafting Board, Mechanical Arm, KOH-I-NOOR 0.7mm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RC

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 06:43:55 PM »
Isavepercent only affects the way temp files are handled, when the size of the AC$ file reaches the percentage saved in isavepercent the temp data is written to the DWG file and the ac$ is cleared.  A SAVE or a QSAVE will write the current status of the drawing to the DWG file.  A subsequent crash won't remove things from THAT file.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 10:27:53 PM »
Thread necrophilia
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 08:29:56 AM »
functionally, the differences are: 

• The QSAVE command will always save the current open drawing back to the same name.
  • SaveAs will save the current open draing to a different name, andcontinue in the editing session with the new name.
  • The SAVE command can be used to save the current open drawing to a new name, but continue working in the original named drawing.

If Drawing ABC is open, QSAVE will only save to ABC.dwg -- no options

SaveAs can save the current state of ABC to XYZ, and the current open drawing will be XYZ,

SAVE can save the current state of ABC to XYZ, but will continue working in ABC
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 08:55:34 AM »
From recent observations and incidents.....
_QSAVE saves the file

subsequent CRASH (abnormal program termination)

Edits made and QSAVED prior to said crash are lost.

Conclusion:

Despite documentation to the contrary; there does appear to be functional difference between the two commands.
From yesterday, I am relying on SAVE not qsave to actually save my work.

Subtext:  I am also NOT finding that the system is writing usable *.ac$ files in designated location.
ISAVE percent is 0 - for speed related issues as noted above.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

RC

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 09:00:34 AM »
Qsave writes the current status of the file back to the DWG. 
You are claiming that a crash then alters that saved DWG???

Test: Qsave the drawing, then open a second session of AutoCAD and OPEN the file (check the date and time to make sure it coincides with the QSAVE). 
Is the file up to date, are the changes there??

RC

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 09:04:48 AM »
Subtext:  I am also NOT finding that the system is writing usable *.ac$ files in designated location.
ISAVE percent is 0 - for speed related issues as noted above.

"usable" *.ac$ ??  what do you mean by 'usable'??  They are temp files that are ONLY 'usable' by the application within the current drawing.  AS you edit the file (without saving) the 'temp' files (*.ac$) are created.

Or are you talking about *.SV$ ??
QSAVE or AUTOSAVE????

the isavepercent has nothing to do with the content of the saved (qsave/save) DWG file.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 09:07:54 AM »

Test: Qsave the drawing, then open a second session of AutoCAD and OPEN the file (check the date and time to make sure it coincides with the QSAVE). 

Exactly what I am experiencing...
No time to run that test....makes me wonder about network latency perhaps being in the mix???
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

RC

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 09:19:26 AM »

Exactly what I am experiencing...
No time to run that test....makes me wonder about network latency perhaps being in the mix???

Are you running a front end that 'copies' the file from the network to a local drive for speed??  Or are you opening the file directly from the network location??  If so, that is the problem, I've seen it before.

Many years ago (prior to fast machines; 8088 @ a blinding 5MHz) we thought it would be a good idea to run a front end to copy the DWG into RAM prior to open, the result was massively increased speed in handling the file.  Unfortunately, subsequent save/qsave went to the RAM location and the file was never written back to the harddrive until closure, we abandoned the idea after a short time for all except the largest files.