Author Topic: Group project  (Read 11536 times)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Group project
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2004, 05:53:08 PM »
Quote from: t-bear
PS  You forgot Keith.....where IS he, anyhow? This sounds like sumpin he'd like to play with.

I have been ugh ... working ... internet is down at work and I can't connect until I get home,  unless I want to connect at 19k .. much too painful to sit and watch the blank screen to download the next selected link ....

Anyway, It seems like a good idea folks .... and I agree with Stig we do need to define a setting group.

I suggest something along the following to begin defining the standard .....
Groups should be used, groups should be divided into segments headed by a group name
In this group you can have an unlimited number of subgroups. Each of these subgroups can be set apart just like coding in C++, with a simple twist.

For example:

[dimstyle]
dimension1={
Dimexe=1.0
Dimaso=2
}
dimension2={
Dimexe=1.0
Dimaso=1
}
[layer]
wall={
color=yellow
linetype=continuous
lineweight=0.1
plot=1
}
[sysvars]
clayer=wall
cmdecho=1

Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

SMadsen

Group project
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2004, 06:09:54 PM »
Very nice, clean and consequent, Keith.

Mark, before everything comes of course the question of what it should be used for. When you said "joe user" I took it that the average user should be allowed to set up things that are not programming related.

If it's merely for settings used privately by a custom application then it would probably be enough with a bunch of variable=value's

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Group project
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2004, 06:23:34 PM »
Quote from: SMadsen
Very nice, clean and consequent, Keith.

Mark, before everything comes of course the question of what it should be used for. When you said "joe user" I took it that the average user should be allowed to set up things that are not programming related.

If it's merely for settings used privately by a custom application then it would probably be enough with a bunch of variable=value's

that was my original thought but after Michael mentioned the other possiblities I don't feel that way anymore. After all if the function can do all that then there is no need for the user to ever see the file.

I like Keith's idea also.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Group project
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2004, 07:39:11 PM »
Well lets coe up with some solid ideas so we can get this thing done ... or not ...
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Group project
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2004, 11:32:46 AM »
What about comments? Are we going to have a definitive comment character? Like ';' or '#' ?

I see know  easy way of coding for in-line comments, it could be done but is it worth it?
Code: [Select]

[dimstyle] # in-line comment
dimension1={
Dimexe=1.0
Dimaso=2
}
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
Group project
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2004, 11:47:40 AM »
Sorry folks, I'm not ignoring this thread, but between <cough> the excitement yesterday and the new standards forum, this thread got back burnered.

However, being a stick in the mud, I am still not seeing why the .ini format could not address the need identified thus far. While I would enjoy helping hammer out a new spec, nothing I've seen so far seems to warrant it, but I fully acknowledge that I have been wrong many times before. :)
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst