Author Topic: Look everyone! I am plyaing with my 3d package!  (Read 12672 times)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
Re: Look everyone! I am plyaing with my 3d package!
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 09:33:16 AM »
Thanks guys.  I was just messing around and see what this button did or did not.

I learned the basics of 3d (no materials or textures stuff) on R14 and have just plaid with here and there when I need an Isometic detail.  I prefer to use 3d just to keep it my head.  I do like the new solid commands, much less clunky. 

Now back to work and deadlines.  :-P
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Josh Nieman

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 09:34:25 AM »
Point filters
.XZ of the lower beam
.Y of the midpoint of the upper beam face

I get about 5 to 10 people a week asking about my software. About 1/2 say they are modeling in 3D with solids.  1 in 100 knows how to use point filters.  :-(

nowadays I do 3d work about every day and... I don't really use point filters all that much... I find otrack works more efficiently for me... I also don't have point filters set up to hot keys or anything, so I'd still be pecking at "." "z" "enter" while one hand is on the mouse... but I know them... but still don't care to use them really...

CADaver

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 09:56:11 AM »
nowadays I do 3d work about every day and... I don't really use point filters all that much... I find otrack works more efficiently for me...
aaack otrack... you have to "hover" to aquire, no tactile feedback

I also don't have point filters set up to hot keys or anything, so I'd still be pecking at "." "z" "enter" while one hand is on the mouse... but I know them... but still don't care to use them really...
I have my middle button set to the osnal popup, and I've set the hot keys for X, Y, & Z to be those point filters.  So with the left hand on the mouse right hand at keyboard its Mbutton Z for tjhat filter.  I can't draw 2D without point filters, I can't image 3D without 'em.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 10:01:51 AM »
nowadays I do 3d work about every day and... I don't really use point filters all that much... I find otrack works more efficiently for me...

I also don't have point filters set up to hot keys or anything, so I'd still be pecking at "." "z" "enter" while one hand is on the mouse... but I know them... but still don't care to use them really...
I have my middle button set to the osnal popup, and I've set the hot keys for X, Y, & Z to be those point filters.  So with the left hand on the mouse right hand at keyboard its Mbutton Z for tjhat filter.  I can't draw 2D without point filters, I can't image 3D without 'em.

I'm pretty deft with the otrack, and I don't seem to notice any time loss using otrack, but I might just give point filters a shot for a couple days, and set it to the XYZ keys.  I try to keep an open mind... if I don't try anything different, then I won't know if what I'm doing really IS the best way... it's like getting the gold medal in a race... when no one else competes    :lol:

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 10:20:14 AM »

I use Otrack, polor set to 45s, the "From" Osnap & the occasional "Temporary Tracking Point".  I find it very fast.  Now this is for 2d now.

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 10:29:38 AM »
  The title of this thread really made the mod in me shudder.  I can't wait until Dent sees it.
...and I am playing with something I never knew existed.

You're just asking for it, aren't you?  :evil:
As long as you promise not to play with anyone else's package.  I know it can get kinda lonely up there in Maine.    :wink:

CADaver

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 10:33:14 AM »
I use Otrack, polor set to 45s, the "From" Osnap & the occasional "Temporary Tracking Point".  I find it very fast.  Now this is for 2d now.
Oh I'm reasonably sure it's fast, I just detest the "hover" interface, there no tactile assurity.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2007, 10:48:20 AM »
Oh I'm reasonably sure it's fast, I just detest the "hover" interface, there no tactile assurity.
To each their own
One of the big reasons what I love about Autodesk Products.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2007, 11:38:30 AM »
Question:

How do I convert a pline to a solid.  I have tried the "Convert to a Solid" command.  I converted it to a region and then tried the push/pull.  that was a no go.  I can use the extrude command to extrude the pline but then I can't push/pull afterwards as I can with a solid. 

Josh Nieman

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2007, 11:40:05 AM »
Question:

How do I convert a pline to a solid.  I have tried the "Convert to a Solid" command.  I converted it to a region and then tried the push/pull.  that was a no go.  I can use the extrude command to extrude the pline but then I can't push/pull afterwards as I can with a solid. 

If the pline is not CLOSED, then when you extrude it, it is merely a 'surface' not a solid.  If it is a CLOSED pline, then it will create a solid upon extrusion, and also be able to be PRESSPULL'd in the same manner... is the pline closed?

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2007, 11:54:22 AM »
If the pline is not CLOSED, then when you extrude it, it is merely a 'surface' not a solid.  If it is a CLOSED pline, then it will create a solid upon extrusion, and also be able to be PRESSPULL'd in the same manner... is the pline closed?
the pline is closed, one of the first things I checked.  With you saying it should be press/pull'ed, I AEC Isolated the pline from all the other junk and then hit it with press/pull and it worked.    I think the command was getting confused with the other surfaces.

Man I love the Press pull grips and those AEC Isolate commands.   :love:
Sweeeeeettt.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2007, 01:07:03 PM »
the pline is closed, one of the first things I checked.  With you saying it should be press/pull'ed, I AEC Isolated the pline from all the other junk and then hit it with press/pull and it worked.    I think the command was getting confused with the other surfaces.

Man I love the Press pull grips and those AEC Isolate commands.   :love:
Sweeeeeettt.

oh yea... you REALLY gotta watch presspull.. it's RETARDED with picking faces... mostly because it has no way of cycling your choice... in Inventor, when picking edges or faces, if you hover for just a second, a little arrow pops up by the cursor, and you can use the scroll wheel to pick a different selection... face, edge, point, whatever

daron

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2007, 10:53:32 PM »
You are aware that you can use shift to acquire instead of hover to acquire, are you not? I find the hover rather annoying when it picks up tracks from every running osnap nearby. However, by setting it to shift to acquire, you have more control and a bit more assurity. I tend to set my polar tracking to 15s as this will allow you to pick up 30/60s as well as 45s. You just do a lot more zoom-ins for the assurance factor.