Author Topic: Look everyone! I am plyaing with my 3d package!  (Read 12678 times)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
Look everyone! I am plyaing with my 3d package!
« on: April 04, 2007, 11:25:22 AM »
How do I move an object to intersection of 2 different objects?

I am 99.99999% 2d in all my experience's with cad and since I needed an ISO for this dialysis cabinet and had some time, I figured that I was going to play with 07s 3d.  I extruded the framing in no time and thought I was something ^-^.  Until I got the moving the angle.  I want the steel angel centered between the intersection of the 2 wood framing members.  I would think that I could just use the "Mid Between 2 Points" Snap and snap to the outer points.  But no.  See Image

So how do I do it and what commands do I use?
Thanks
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Josh Nieman

Re: Look everyone! I am plyaing with my 3d package!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 11:30:42 AM »
Are you familiar with manipulating the UCS?

You may want to move the UCS to a point close to where you're working, temporarily, and set the XY plane to the plane you'll be working in, mostly.

I don't know if it helps at all, but I threw this .doc together for the "slow" CAD guy down the hall who works for another company.

OH.. the whole point of that is... snaps show on the XY plane (z=0) so while you may not SEE the snaps, they're actually showing the little snap symbol way down where z=0 for the X,Y coordinate you're snapping to... moving the ucs near where you're working will fix that (since z=0 X,Y plane will now be where you're working)

You can also try turning on Dynamic UCS (DYN button at the bottom) but I prefer working without it so someone else would have to explain some of the ins and outs of using it... I hated it when I tried it for a couple days.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 11:32:13 AM by Josh Nieman »

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 11:43:02 AM »
  The title of this thread really made the mod in me shudder.  I can't wait until Dent sees it.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 12:04:57 PM »
  The title of this thread really made the mod in me shudder.  I can't wait until Dent sees it.

lol i didnt want to say it

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 12:05:18 PM »
I got it by looking at it from the underside and "AEC Isolating" everything around it and then just used polar tracking to get it where it need to be.

Are you familiar with manipulating the UCS?
Yeah I am familiar with it from a 2d Point of view that is.

You may want to move the UCS to a point close to where you're working, temporarily, and set the XY plane to the plane you'll be working in, mostly.
  Yeah this is what I am having a hard time with, in a 3d perspective.

I don't know if it helps at all, but I threw this .doc together for the "slow" CAD guy down the hall who works for another company.
Thanks

OH.. the whole point of that is... snaps show on the XY plane (z=0) so while you may not SEE the snaps, they're actually showing the little snap symbol way down where z=0 for the X,Y coordinate you're snapping to... moving the ucs near where you're working will fix that (since z=0 X,Y plane will now be where you're working)
Intersting, I did not see that happening but I hard time getting the UCS in a good spot.  I kept getting wierd moves where it ended up all over the place.

You can also try turning on Dynamic UCS (DYN button at the bottom) but I prefer working without it so someone else would have to explain some of the ins and outs of using it... I hated it when I tried it for a couple days.
  I tried this and first thought is I see what you mean but I will give it an honest try.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 12:11:04 PM »
:-D :-D
What the real question is "; what will be his time be(if we were clocking") compared to with your Time in finding it.
Speaking of the peanut gallery, where is Greg?

I an just in one of those moods.
Good blues playing in the background, no pressing deadlines and I am playing with something I never knew existed.
 ;-) :evil:

Josh Nieman

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 12:12:40 PM »
...and I am playing with something I never knew existed.

You're just asking for it, aren't you?  :evil:

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 12:13:14 PM »
  Aaarghhh Josh!  You beat me to it!!  :lmao:

joseguia

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 01:25:26 PM »
Krushert, .. a little off-topic but check this out when you get time, ..

I think i read somewhere that the original creator of AutoCAD is creating this app.
Its really impressive, kinda feels like SketchUp and PlayDoh.

http://moi3d.com/    
MoI (Moment of Inspiration) is a new 3D modeling/CAD program for designers and artists.

Offering a blend of precision and freeform drawing tools, it sports a unique user interface that operates seamlessly with a pen tablet (a mouse is also supported).

MoI is currently in open beta release. If you're looking for a fresh, fluid way to draw and create CAD-accurate 3D models, then download the beta and give it a try! Also, please drop by the discussion forum to give any feedback.

Read the interview about MoI and Triple Squid Software Design.

Screenshots:

CADaver

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 04:08:02 PM »
Point filters
.XZ of the lower beam
.Y of the midpoint of the upper beam face

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 04:28:08 PM »
Just because I like playing with it.  :lol:

I finished the model for what I need to show as an iso detail.  Then what the heck I want to play with it some more.

So I have some questions on how to play with it.

I have a stock material called GWB-painted white.  That is it for paint.  And IMHO i think it is the color of raw gwb not a white paint.  But how does one change the color from white to another color like some shade of blue?

Is there a 3d tool that is a hollow cylinder?  I had to subtract a smaller cylinder from a larger cylinder.  Not hard but time consuming.

Why are these "striations" in my materials.  See images.  When plotted to a PDF no striations but plotted to JPG or my plotter(s) I get the Striations?

JPG

PDF
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 04:38:25 PM by Krushert »

Josh Nieman

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 04:46:38 PM »
Sorry to say, but unless you have a routine that does it for you, subtract one cyl from another is it...

I found this VLX on Cadalyst or theSwamp or something... I use it for modeling the jacket on offshore platforms, mostly... our engineers export the centerlines of all beams, which works great for when it's all round pipe.  The routine allows you to pick centerlines, the outside diameter, and the inside diameter, and it creates pipes on those centerlines...

I think I found it on a random website, but for the life of me I can't recall, and there's no readme for it... and what's even better... I can't remember the command to invoke it o.0  I haven't used it in a while.

...I'll post when it comes to me... *slaps forehead*

Josh Nieman

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 04:56:22 PM »
Before someone tells me how stupid I am, I figured it out..

it _IS_ "3dtube" to invoke the routine... I just had typed it in Autocad to double check, and it came back "unknown command" and even though 3dtube.vlx is in my startup suite... and it showed that it was loaded already... it apperantly wasn't loaded.  GO FIGURE.

So I reloaded it and it works.  Here's the dialogue:

Code: [Select]
Command: 3dtube
3DTube, Version 4.0 - PicPro 1994-2004ucs
Current ucs name:  *WORLD*
Specify origin of UCS or [Face/NAmed/OBject/Previous/View/World/X/Y/Z/ZAxis]
<World>: world
Command:
Select Tube Type [Polygon/Circle] <C>: C
Outer Tube Diameter: 24

Inner Tube Diameter (Optional): 22.5

[Group of Lines and Arcs/Single Polyline] <G>: S
Select Polyline For Tube:
Select objects:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 04:58:50 PM by Josh Nieman »

CADaver

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 06:24:28 PM »
There's also SOLIDEDIT>FACE>SHELL for creating hollow shapes from solids.

DaveW

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 09:14:34 PM »
Point filters
.XZ of the lower beam

I get about 5 to 10 people a week asking about my software. About 1/2 say they are modeling in 3D with solids.  1 in 100 knows how to use point filters.  :-(

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 09:33:16 AM »
Thanks guys.  I was just messing around and see what this button did or did not.

I learned the basics of 3d (no materials or textures stuff) on R14 and have just plaid with here and there when I need an Isometic detail.  I prefer to use 3d just to keep it my head.  I do like the new solid commands, much less clunky. 

Now back to work and deadlines.  :-P

Josh Nieman

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 09:34:25 AM »
Point filters
.XZ of the lower beam

I get about 5 to 10 people a week asking about my software. About 1/2 say they are modeling in 3D with solids.  1 in 100 knows how to use point filters.  :-(

nowadays I do 3d work about every day and... I don't really use point filters all that much... I find otrack works more efficiently for me... I also don't have point filters set up to hot keys or anything, so I'd still be pecking at "." "z" "enter" while one hand is on the mouse... but I know them... but still don't care to use them really...

CADaver

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 09:56:11 AM »
nowadays I do 3d work about every day and... I don't really use point filters all that much... I find otrack works more efficiently for me...
aaack otrack... you have to "hover" to aquire, no tactile feedback

I also don't have point filters set up to hot keys or anything, so I'd still be pecking at "." "z" "enter" while one hand is on the mouse... but I know them... but still don't care to use them really...
I have my middle button set to the osnal popup, and I've set the hot keys for X, Y, & Z to be those point filters.  So with the left hand on the mouse right hand at keyboard its Mbutton Z for tjhat filter.  I can't draw 2D without point filters, I can't image 3D without 'em.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 10:01:51 AM »
nowadays I do 3d work about every day and... I don't really use point filters all that much... I find otrack works more efficiently for me...

I also don't have point filters set up to hot keys or anything, so I'd still be pecking at "." "z" "enter" while one hand is on the mouse... but I know them... but still don't care to use them really...
I have my middle button set to the osnal popup, and I've set the hot keys for X, Y, & Z to be those point filters.  So with the left hand on the mouse right hand at keyboard its Mbutton Z for tjhat filter.  I can't draw 2D without point filters, I can't image 3D without 'em.

I'm pretty deft with the otrack, and I don't seem to notice any time loss using otrack, but I might just give point filters a shot for a couple days, and set it to the XYZ keys.  I try to keep an open mind... if I don't try anything different, then I won't know if what I'm doing really IS the best way... it's like getting the gold medal in a race... when no one else competes    :lol:

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 10:20:14 AM »

I use Otrack, polor set to 45s, the "From" Osnap & the occasional "Temporary Tracking Point".  I find it very fast.  Now this is for 2d now.

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 10:29:38 AM »
...and I am playing with something I never knew existed.

You're just asking for it, aren't you?  :evil:
As long as you promise not to play with anyone else's package.  I know it can get kinda lonely up there in Maine.    :wink:

CADaver

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 10:33:14 AM »
I use Otrack, polor set to 45s, the "From" Osnap & the occasional "Temporary Tracking Point".  I find it very fast.  Now this is for 2d now.
Oh I'm reasonably sure it's fast, I just detest the "hover" interface, there no tactile assurity.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2007, 10:48:20 AM »
Oh I'm reasonably sure it's fast, I just detest the "hover" interface, there no tactile assurity.
To each their own
One of the big reasons what I love about Autodesk Products.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2007, 11:38:30 AM »
Question:

How do I convert a pline to a solid.  I have tried the "Convert to a Solid" command.  I converted it to a region and then tried the push/pull.  that was a no go.  I can use the extrude command to extrude the pline but then I can't push/pull afterwards as I can with a solid. 

Josh Nieman

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2007, 11:40:05 AM »
Question:

How do I convert a pline to a solid.  I have tried the "Convert to a Solid" command.  I converted it to a region and then tried the push/pull.  that was a no go.  I can use the extrude command to extrude the pline but then I can't push/pull afterwards as I can with a solid. 

If the pline is not CLOSED, then when you extrude it, it is merely a 'surface' not a solid.  If it is a CLOSED pline, then it will create a solid upon extrusion, and also be able to be PRESSPULL'd in the same manner... is the pline closed?

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2007, 11:54:22 AM »
If the pline is not CLOSED, then when you extrude it, it is merely a 'surface' not a solid.  If it is a CLOSED pline, then it will create a solid upon extrusion, and also be able to be PRESSPULL'd in the same manner... is the pline closed?
the pline is closed, one of the first things I checked.  With you saying it should be press/pull'ed, I AEC Isolated the pline from all the other junk and then hit it with press/pull and it worked.    I think the command was getting confused with the other surfaces.

Man I love the Press pull grips and those AEC Isolate commands.   :love:
Sweeeeeettt.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2007, 01:07:03 PM »
the pline is closed, one of the first things I checked.  With you saying it should be press/pull'ed, I AEC Isolated the pline from all the other junk and then hit it with press/pull and it worked.    I think the command was getting confused with the other surfaces.

Man I love the Press pull grips and those AEC Isolate commands.   :love:
Sweeeeeettt.

oh yea... you REALLY gotta watch presspull.. it's RETARDED with picking faces... mostly because it has no way of cycling your choice... in Inventor, when picking edges or faces, if you hover for just a second, a little arrow pops up by the cursor, and you can use the scroll wheel to pick a different selection... face, edge, point, whatever

daron

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2007, 10:53:32 PM »
You are aware that you can use shift to acquire instead of hover to acquire, are you not? I find the hover rather annoying when it picks up tracks from every running osnap nearby. However, by setting it to shift to acquire, you have more control and a bit more assurity. I tend to set my polar tracking to 15s as this will allow you to pick up 30/60s as well as 45s. You just do a lot more zoom-ins for the assurance factor.