Author Topic: Link Survey Data to a Autocad MAP project  (Read 4111 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Link Survey Data to a Autocad MAP project
« on: June 22, 2004, 08:55:16 PM »
Has anyone tried to link survey data up to Autocad MAP?

I did have never tried it.  I have Delorme XMAP, which i can bring DXF into a GIS based software package to get information.

Just kinda curious
Civil3D 2020

grdruck

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 06:32:13 PM »
Hi, MSTG007

I can't answer your question, but something you said sparked a question to you.

I work alot with map data - MrSID maps.  Is there a package out there that you can obtain height infomation?  In my work I'm dealing with roadway and their improvements, but for the existing maps before improvements we sometime don't have height info (Z's as I call them).  Is there or are there package(s) that can provide this info?  You say you have Delorme XMap - I was looking at that as a possible program but they don't seem to have a demo version to find out hands on.  Thanks for any input you may have.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 06:46:00 PM »
The only way to get accurate z values is either by a field run level loop or off aerial photography via a stereoplotter. The Delorme stuff is basically copies of the USGS quads and you can interpret elevations off that  if 4 or 5 feet is close enough. (Contours are at 20 foot intervals on most 15 minute quads.)
I haven't found any "map package" that gives accurate elevations close enough for actual construction work. Most are ok for "rough" planning figures, IF you are really good at reading contours.

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 07:10:40 AM »
Hey dent is right! yup. Delomre we used for Engineering Assesment Reports and stuff and basically prelim in design processes. But it does give the engineer an idea to design to for prelim.

anyone know how to stretch a aerial to points in LDD? Z wise
Civil3D 2020

sinc

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 06:35:45 PM »
Quote from: MSTG007

anyone know how to stretch a aerial to points in LDD? Z wise

I'm not sure, but I don't think anyone does this in Autocad.  It requires stereoscopic image analysis, which is way, way beyond the scope of Autocad.  The only people I know who do this use some software package or other specifically designed for this task.  It can then output information in a form that can be loaded into Autocad.

Warning: I haven't ever done any aerial stuff myself, so what I'm saying here is kind of off-the-cuff...  :?

BTW, what exactly do you mean in your original question?  Are you looking specifically for help in using that Delorme stuff, or did you have something more general in mind?

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 07:16:22 AM »
I ve used a program called delorme Xmap which has then function... they said they were going to add a plug in for cad to do this too..
Civil3D 2020