Author Topic: This attribute prompt issue is driving me nuts.  (Read 6142 times)

Barry Clark

This attribute prompt issue is driving me nuts.
« on: March 19, 2007, 08:51:44 AM »
ok. I have a dynamic block. After creating it, I went to add attributes to the different visibility states. All was going well. Then.... it happened. I added one with a tag of Total, a prompt of Grand Total and a default of X. The tag and total come up fine. The prompt, however, is borrowing from another tag and is reading manufacturer. I have tried everything from borrowing from a working block to creating the attribure inside and outside the block. I am at a loss. Any thoughts?

Barry Clark

Re: This attribute prompt issue is driving me nuts.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 08:53:16 AM »
Update:

through BATTMAN, it looks fine but if you double click the block to edit the attributes, that is when you get the funny prompt.

hendie

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 09:53:27 AM »
are any of you attributes defined as "invisible" ?
there is a bug where attributes pick up the incorrect prompt, and some attributes may not show at all if one or more attributes are defined as being invisible.
I raised it with Autodesk, they replicated the issue then said "Bwahahahahahahahh"

well, actually they said they would look into it in a future release.

Barry Clark

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 09:55:18 AM »
No.. none of them are invisible. It seems to be only happening with this one attribute. I am gonna try a few things I guess. Thanks for the info. A bit of a hiccup in the program then. I might soon stop banging my head against the wall then. haha.

Barry Clark

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 10:08:41 AM »
Here is the funny part. Lets say I got and get another set of attributes none of which mentions TOTAL in the attribute, they work fine. As soon as I change on of them to read total... or delete the ones I don't want... it goes screwy on the prompts.

whdjr

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 09:52:05 AM »
Barry,

Do all of your attributes have unique tags?

Also can you post the drawing?

Barry Clark

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 01:06:42 PM »
Yep. I will have to get the issue to occur again though.

Where do I post them at?

Barry Clark

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 02:10:43 PM »
ok, I think I know what is going on.

Lets say you have a block with three visibility states: 1, 2 and 3. In those visibility states, you have two attributes: name and number and . So that they run independently, you have the tags read name1 and number1 for v-state 1, name2 and number2 for v-state 2 and so on.

In BATTMAN, they show up like this... theoretically:

name1--------Name:
number1------Number:
name2--------Name:
number2------Number:
name3--------Name:
number3------Number:

Now, lets say you want to add a bit more such as address but they don't need to be run independently.

You add a single address attribute. Now BATTMAN reads like:

name1--------Name:
number1------Number:
name2--------Name:
number2------Number:
name3--------Name:
number3------Number:
address-------Address:

Now, you go and make this single attribute visible in all states.

Now, when you go to the block and run EATTEDIT, what displays for all three states is:

name(1, 2 or 3)--------Name:
number(1, 2 or 3)------Number:
Address--------Name:

It seems to be getting confused by what is there and how the attributes show up in BATTMAN.

whdjr

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 08:42:41 AM »
You can upload the file to the Lilly Pond and then post a link here to the file.  There should be a link on the top banner to the Lilly Pond.