Author Topic: Alternative CAD Interfaces. Looking for feedback please.  (Read 6899 times)

gmyroup

Alternative CAD Interfaces. Looking for feedback please.
« on: March 07, 2007, 09:18:52 AM »
If you were able to execute AutoCAD’s more commonly used drawing, editing, transformation, and annotation commands WITHOUT ever touching a menu, toolbar, shortcut, or command line… would you consider learning the new interface if it showed promise of making you 20%+ more productive?

hendie

Re: Alternative CAD Interfaces. Looking for feedback please.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 09:37:29 AM »
no menu's, no toolbars, no shortcuts OR command line ?????

is this AutoCAD... the psychic edition ?

M-dub

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 09:42:51 AM »
I'm a little confused too.  Although that's nothing new, I'd just like to point that out again.

Voice recognition?  Nostromo?  Tablet?

That's a big Maybe from me...
My spacebar is worn from use as "Enter" from command line keyins.  It would have to be quicker than that.  I'm interested though.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 09:55:06 AM by M-dub »

Josh Nieman

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 10:06:15 AM »

So no interface from keyboard or mouse...

uhh... what's left, a touchscreen?  or like hendie said... psychic?

I hope this doesn't turn into a sales pitch of empty promises, skewed research, biased figures, and overblown estimates...

You're not, by chance, the guy who was pushing the Autocad addon on the Autodesk Discussion Groups a few weeks ago that got shot down by a few people (including some who frequent these boards as well) are you?

Josh Nieman

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 10:37:12 AM »
http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=526149

...save your time folks...

Why? Sounds like gmyroup might be onto something, why not let them show us what they are up to! who knows, it might be the next "sliced bread" in the CAD world.

TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Josh Nieman

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 10:43:57 AM »
http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=526149

...save your time folks...

Why? Sounds like gmyroup might be onto something, why not let them show us what they are up to! who knows, it might be the next "sliced bread" in the CAD world.

I just remember going through the details thoroughly and it was nothing but a time waster and a bag of misconceptions.  All figures were based on someone who doesn't use any shortcuts or customized knowledge of Autocad.  All figures of improvement are based on someone who types "l-i-n-e, -enter-" for a line etc etc and doesn't use any customization.

The examples given that he could do worlds faster than any average Autocad drafter/detailer... I was able to do with no customization in the same amount of time in vanilla ACAD.  That and he talked up the program so much... but yet wouldn't let anyone try it.  It was a big blue-baller for those interested, and a big disappointment for those who wanted to try it.

Empty promises are in the same category as lies, to me... and so one who does nothing but speak them are in the same category as liars, to me... not worth time, and to be cautioned against.

Just thought I'd provide the "other side of things" since it's already been discussed in detail... anyone here may find that their question was already answered, and find their curiosity sated in a more expedient way by reading over there, than posting here... waiting... then going through the politician-esque verbatim that this person exudes.

M-dub

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 10:49:11 AM »
If you're right, Josh, the people here will figure that out for themselves.  You've been here long enough to know that most of us are a fairly 'with it' bunch.  I like to think that we're also a little more open minded than many of those found posting at the other place.

gmyroup

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 10:53:03 AM »
Thank you Mark...

Remember.... if you always do what you've always done... you'll always get what you've always gotten.

While CAD programs have improved in functionality over the years... the basic premise of how we interact with it hasn't.  Maybe it's time for a change.  Is it the next best thing since 'sliced bread'.... check out the demo and then decide.

I will be posting a link to the pre-alpha version in the Show Us Your Stuff forum later today.

Jerry Myroup

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 11:19:24 AM »
I appreciate your opinion Josh and the link your provided, I just don't want to see anyone here flamed for trying to show us something new. So far gmyroup hasn't broken any rules of theswamp, that I've noticed anyway, so let them have a chance please.

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 11:20:30 AM »
I'm always interested in new interface ideas. It's one area that's really been lacking in innovation. Which may be for a good reason (no improvement in efficiency)

Your post in the other forum asked about making it mandatory for users. In my experience the way to successfully implement something is to make it the easiest way to do something. If a new interface concept makes things simpler and faster to use a piece of software, it will sell it's self. If not, it won't, and no amount of marketing will help it to succeed.

Looking forward to seeing what you've got.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 11:36:24 AM »
If you're right, Josh, the people here will figure that out for themselves.  You've been here long enough to know that most of us are a fairly 'with it' bunch.  I like to think that we're also a little more open minded than many of those found posting at the other place.

I'm not thinking otherwise at all... I was just offering information.  I wasn't saying that the link was the Bible you should read from and go by... I was saying that there's information there that you can learn from... I'm not telling you to like it or lump it... just that you could save some time by reading over there... like I said, it might answer a question you had, and you won't have to wait for the answer here.  That's all.

I appreciate your opinion Josh and the link your provided, I just don't want to see anyone here flamed for trying to show us something new. So far gmyroup hasn't broken any rules of theswamp, that I've noticed anyway, so let them have a chance please.

Wasn't intending to flame, just to provide more information on the topic.  I felt it would "get to the point" a little faster and save people some time.  Not save them time by making them not look into the product at all... but can ask more specific questions based on more information (at the autodesk groups) than is here, so far.

daron

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 08:27:05 AM »
Can you load it up to the lily pond?

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »
Hi Jerry

See this topic.
http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=6639.0

Ask a mod if you want a folder creating for you :-)
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 09:16:17 AM »
If I upload to the Lily Pond can non-members download the file as well?
Yes but please do not use it for your primary source for downloads, the lilly pond is meant for members of theswamp only.