Author Topic: VBA in 2008 .. something to think about  (Read 6297 times)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Re: VBA in 2008 .. something to think about
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 08:23:54 AM »
does that mean i might actually have to learn .not?

If you ever use a 64bit O/S you can still use VB(a) but the speed will be greatly reduced because of marshalling. VB(a) can still be used without issue on 32bit O/S .... but keep in mind that Microsoft is moving toward the 64bit O/S and in the forseeable future, you may likely only be able to get a 64bit O/S for a business environment.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

joseguia

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 10:31:52 PM »
A reply straight from that post ...
Hi Donald,

MNU files have a somewhat limited future, but CUI files are very much part of AutoCAD's future. Which includes toolbars, pull-down menus, etc.

VBA has a limited future, given Microsoft's plan not to provide a 64-bit version, but LISP is likely to be around - there are no plans to remove it (just no big plans to enhance it).

Of the customization technologies, .NET currently seems to have the greatest potential in the future.

Regards,

Kean

daron

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 09:26:45 AM »
No, it means you could learn
LISP                     No impact – neither for LSP nor FAS files
and so many people say that lisp is dead. Hah. Seems like the thread it's hanging on from is not breaking.

HarleyHetz

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 09:44:33 AM »
I may be kind of speaking out of turn here because I don't really have enough experience with AutoCAD to have ever used VBA in it. However, I have used VB since 4 and have had to learn .NET. It really isn't that hard to make the transition, some of your old habits will have to be broken, but other than that and a short learning curve, most stuff is very similar.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 09:47:19 AM »
I may be kind of speaking out of turn here because I don't really have enough experience with AutoCAD to have ever used VBA in it. However, I have used VB since 4 and have had to learn .NET. It really isn't that hard to make the transition, some of your old habits will have to be broken, but other than that and a short learning curve, most stuff is very similar.

Agreed ...  .net is not an unfamiliar interface for a seasoned VB programmer. The transition is much easier than I had first envisioned.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

HarleyHetz

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 10:19:49 AM »
Agreed ...  .net is not an unfamiliar interface for a seasoned VB programmer. The transition is much easier than I had first envisioned.
[/quote]

Yea, I imagine it's like anything new, folks are a bit apprehensive about it at first, but once they get into it, I think most will find it to be much less painless than they imagined!! :) It is human nature to resist change...