Author Topic: Why does Autodesk try and second guess my settings  (Read 2096 times)

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
Why does Autodesk try and second guess my settings
« on: March 01, 2007, 02:38:52 PM »
I would like for someone to tell me why Autodesk is second guessing my drawing settings when I run VBA code.  INSUNITS and Dimscale are being changed when I use Insertblock method. 

I would like someone else to try inserting a block via code and see if your settings are being changed.  I can post my code, but I would prefer not to so that this can be nailed down as Autocad doing it, not my version of code I wrote.  (I have checked my code for any reference to those variables, and there is none)
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Re: Why does Autodesk try and second guess my settings
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 03:02:14 PM »
I got a fatal error and was kicked out of my drawing!!!   :pissed: :realmad: :pissed:

hendie

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 03:16:05 AM »
I use the insertblock method in loads of functions and I have never noticed this, though I haven't been looking for it.
I just ran a few tests this morning and my settings were the same before and after.

One thought ~ what are the insunits and dimscale of the block you are inserting ? are they different from the drawing they are going into ?

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 07:46:43 AM »
I also use the InsertBlock method routinely with no ill effects.

This may be totally unrelated, but I did run into a problem with the ADT object enablers for vanilla AutoCAD causing my dimscale to change to 48 every time I issued the undo command.  I never checked to see if the insunits variable was also affected.

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 09:09:16 AM »
I logged the problem with adesk, and they agreed with my findings.  Thats it, they just agreed.  Seems like they might have tried to suggest a workaround
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 09:09:56 AM »
I have set insunits to 0 in all my blocks (this was suggested by autodesk before I figured out what the code was doing.

jjs

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 04:30:30 PM »
Well at least they agreed.

Dimscale used to change if there was a certain variable set. I would have to look it up, don't remember anymore.

dan19936

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 05:21:04 PM »
Are you using a vertical app like Architectural Desktop? It overrides dimscale with a reactor, even in the object enablers. (or at least the enablers used to, I now purge all AEC dictionaries with my startup routine to avoid that kind of crap).

In ADT you can turn off that override feature in new drawings:

From the Format > Drawing Setup menu
Select the Scale tab
Uncheck the "Automatically Create Dimscale Override"
Check "Save As Default"

However existing drawings need to have this done for each one, as the setting is saved in a dictionary & called by the reactor. I've got some code to do that automatically, but it's at home. Let me know if you need it.

Dan