Author Topic: Changing Dim styles  (Read 6481 times)

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
Re: Changing Dim styles
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 01:24:57 PM »
I don't think so.  I mean the text associated with the leader doesn't change if you use the change pallet, at least on my system with the single test I just did, it didn't.

I just assumed you would want it to change. Never mind. :?
I think you would also if you were changing the layer, or scaling up the dimension, but here the OP is just changing the dim style name because of conflict when x-referencing.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

Hangman

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 01:51:36 PM »
Alternate solution, that may or may not be done with LISP or a script.
Enter name for new dimension style or [?]: Standard
That name is already in use, redefine it? <N>:y

Go into the Detail drawings and just change the CHILD dimension style names, such that when inserted or referenced into the PARENT drawing the Style names are not equal and therefore do not produce the undesired results as described by the user.

That may be a very good alternate.  Perhaps easier than what I'm currently trying to do.  But I'm hav'n so much fun and learn'n so much, why would I want to make it easier and change that !?
So if I have a 'DIM' dimension style, I could edit the dimension variables for that style to get that style up to date, then rename it ?.?  The leaders would still be established to that style, even though it was renamed to 'Dims_0.75' .?.  (or whatever the detail is scaled at).

I may have a look into that.

To step through a selection set, use something like
Code: [Select]
(setq cnt -1)
(while (setq Ent (ssname ss (setq cnt (1+ cnt))))
)

Out of curiosity, what would the 'entnext' do in a situation like this ??

I don't think so.  I mean the text associated with the leader doesn't change if you use the change pallet, at least on my system with the single test I just did, it didn't.

I just assumed you would want it to change. Never mind. :?
I think you would also if you were changing the layer, or scaling up the dimension, but here the OP is just changing the dim style name because of conflict when x-referencing.

Actually, I am changing the layers & text style as well, but the two are not associated .?.  I think I am misunderstanding what you are talking about here.
I am changing the text style because the old one has the font at a 1.0 width and we use a 0.75 width.  But the name of the new text style is the same as the old.  Also, some of the details have the wrong text height so I need to grab the text in the detail and adjust it to the new text style.  The Layers are all old system layers, DIM, PLAN, etc..  We have a new Layering system we use so I have coded the lisp to create the new layer and move anything on the old layer to the new.
Mind you, this routine will be run from a script, so a mass updating is taking place here.  Some of the details will not require these changes but where this a mass update, they will be edited regardless.

Hangman  8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Drafting Board, Mechanical Arm, KOH-I-NOOR 0.7mm

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 01:59:18 PM »
'entnext' does nothing for dimensions.  If you have a dimension and a line, and the dimenstion was drawn first, then 'entnext' would return the line, since it is the next entity in the database.

The only time I use 'entnext' is when dealing with blocks or old style polylines.  I don't recall needing it for anything else.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

Hangman

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 01:15:48 PM »
Alternate solution, that may or may not be done with LISP or a script.
Enter name for new dimension style or [?]: Standard
That name is already in use, redefine it? <N>:y

Go into the Detail drawings and just change the CHILD dimension style names, such that when inserted or referenced into the PARENT drawing the Style names are not equal and therefore do not produce the undesired results as described by the user.

That may be a very good alternate.  Perhaps easier than what I'm currently trying to do.  But I'm hav'n so much fun and learn'n so much, why would I want to make it easier and change that !?
So if I have a 'DIM' dimension style, I could edit the dimension variables for that style to get that style up to date, then rename it ?.?  The leaders would still be established to that style, even though it was renamed to 'Dims_0.75' .?.  (or whatever the detail is scaled at).

I may have a look into that.

Well, I looked into it but I don't see it happening.  I have, for some reason or another, three to four different dim styles in these old details.
I have a DIM
I have a DIM$7
I have a DIM <style overrides>  (I'm assuming, or at least it appears to be, the DIM$7  IS  the override, but not positive about that).
I have a DIM1
I have a DIMENSIONS
Now on top of that, I am creating a dim style called "DIM_0.75".
So I need to take the entities on each of these styles & transfer them over to the new style.  Then when I do a purge, they will all go away but the new one.
Hangman  8)

Drafting Board, Mechanical Arm, KOH-I-NOOR 0.7mm