Author Topic: Dynamic block of dynamic blocks?  (Read 5512 times)

Darren J. Young

Re: Dynamic block of dynamic blocks?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 10:22:50 AM »
Yes, that will work. We do that here. The way, we have one item to insert to get our title lbock but it's made up of several pieces so things like Attrib Editing only contains similar grouped items. Our logo is a dynamic block which toggles between office location addresses.

Me thinks you could avoid most if not all attribute editing, on that title block, were you to make use of Sheet Sets.

Not really. The bulk of our Tblock attributes are not job or project, specific, they are piece part specific. Anchor notes, colors, finishes, stock notes, lifter types, edge conditions, etc. Things specific to that pieve that define machineing processes and routine. They (most) aren't anything that can be set once and automatically pushed into the attribute via fields. They're specific to each piece to the neighborhood of 1.5 million pieces a year spread over 2000 jobs a year.

We do use Dynamic Blocks in some areas, traditional in others, and fields in yet others as well as combiniations of these methods. There's no one best fit for this task in our application so we use a variety of methods. Are your notes, revision blocks, all symbology and comments all part of a single massive Title block?  While it might be possible consolidate things or use different methods than we currently employ, there's also issues with historical compatability, legacy code that would need to support both methods for a transition perior of roughly 3 years. I also believe that just because something CAN be done doesn't mean it SHOULD. There's a lot of things we could wrap into a complex dynamic block but use several simpler dblocks instead or even traditional blocks. It's simetimes easier to manage and maintain the several parts, piecing them together as you need, than maintaining one massive complex beast.  Just my opinion. Others may vary.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 10:27:51 AM by Darren J. Young »