Author Topic: Combining AutoCAD with 3D Studio  (Read 1594 times)

iliekater

Combining AutoCAD with 3D Studio
« on: February 16, 2007, 10:06:09 AM »
I found out that in AutoCAD can set materials on layers and I thought that was incredible . That was until I discovered 3D Studio , which I also like . So , I now have two questions :
1) Is it possible to use maps (like materials) on AutoCAD ? I like the idea of using maps on 3D Studio and I wonder if it can also be done in AutoCAD .
2) I did the following : exported my 3d drawing from AutoCAD to 3D Studio and there set it materials . However , sometimes I have to do changes back in AutoCAD , which means is a bit of frustrating moving from one program to the other just to edit the result . Has anyone any advice ?

hendie

Re: Combining AutoCAD with 3D Studio
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 01:07:06 PM »
Yes you can use maps in AutoCAD as you can in 3D Studio, though it is much easier in 3D studio

Depending upon your versions, you can open and edit te drawing directly in 3D Studio, and save any edits back to the drawing, open in AutoCAD again and so on..

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
I suggest you LINK the drawing to 3d Studio, that should allow your edits to be more or less seamless.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Tramber

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 01:46:16 PM »
http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=9423.0

There I gave my opinion on 2007.

You ever could assign materials on objects, colors, and layers. In another order (I think object, layer and color, can't remember now) was set a system of priority.
It's not possible anymore in 2007 and it's a real pitty because it (could be) was complicated but powerfull (especially with blocks).

They also removed the 3DSOUT command.

Awful, isn't it ? There plenty of software that use the good 3DS format (DXF or DWG are badly recognized by softwares).

Try also 3DSIN, all those commands are full of options. Hope you're not on 2007  ;-)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 01:47:42 PM by Call me Bert' »

iliekater

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 05:04:55 PM »
No , I am using AutoCAD 2004 , but what you said was really frustrating ... Why did Autodesk do that ? ...

mjfarrell  : what do you mean "LINK the drawing to 3d Studio" ? As XREF or something ?

Tramber

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 09:26:56 AM »
... Why did Autodesk do that ? ...

You mean 'those' !

By color assignement was very practical, and 3DSOUT was essential.

Why : I don't know  :|

iliekater

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 01:39:49 PM »
Someone has to punish them !  :evil: