Author Topic: Fields in AutoCAD  (Read 15473 times)

whdjr

Re: Fields in AutoCAD
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 09:05:43 AM »
Fourth.  Very Very seldom do we have a drawing change which cause the set to be reorganized.   I can only think of once in the 5 years I have been here.  Why would there be a need for fields?

WOW!! :-o  Our projects might take anywhere from 6 to 20 months so our sheets could get reorganized many times during that time frame.  If you don't have this situation then you are blessed.  It is not a fun experience.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 09:08:13 AM »
Third. Can Fields jump across Drawings  Our Reference bubbles & whatnot reference a detail# on Sheet in the back of the set.  So I don't see a advantage of using fields.  Am I wrong?

Are the details in the back of the set numbered like 1/A22, 2/A22, 3/A22, and so on.  Well in our sheets they are.  So we have a standard attributed block that we use for this reference.  When we put it on a sheet it pulls the name of the current layout tab (which is our sheet name) and we don't have to input that data.  This works for all our sheets not just on the sheets with details.

Opps let me rephrase that.  Can Fields link to other drawing files? ON our floor plan (A1.1) that has a detail reference bubble with detail & sheet attributes that will point a detail on a A7.## series sheet which is a separate drawing file.

Thanks
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 09:13:33 AM »
View title (scale:) linked to the viewport scale.

How did you set that up? Something i might like to toy with
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 09:34:38 AM »
Second.  We xref our title blocks.  We do the file-save from the TB template file and adjust the project info for each job.  This is all done by editing text.  The next time the drawings are open the Title blocks are updated.  What is the advantage of fields with the title blocks that are xref?  Now if the title blocks were blocks then I can see the need of Fields.

Does the information in your title block change?  We insert our sheet border with some information that doesn't change.  It also includes attributes for text that need to be sheet specific.  Then we xref other information into the border that may only change a few times during a project but will be the same on every sheet ( like date or # of drawings).  We have different submittals due in our work so these values will change during a job.
The only thing that changes on a regular basis (almost on a weekly basis) is the "Issue Date" and "Issue for whatever" text.   There are 3 pieces of text that drawing specific (DWG Title, ## & scale) and we insert these for each drawing.  All other text in the TB is fixed and will only change if there was mistake or that information was late in getting to us.

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 09:39:03 AM »
Opps let me rephrase that.  Can Fields link to other drawing files? ON our floor plan (A1.1) that has a detail reference bubble with detail & sheet attributes that will point a detail on a A7.## series sheet which is a separate drawing file.
YES! (using Sheet Set Manager and sheet views).

I've not done it yet, but would like to in the future.  It would make coordination of details a whole LOT smoother!

whdjr

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 09:40:48 AM »
View title (scale:) linked to the viewport scale.

How did you set that up? Something i might like to toy with

Probably using 'Object' then selecting 'Custom Scale'.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 09:45:18 AM »
Quote from: whdjr link=topic=15041.msg182547#msg182547
WOW!! :-o  Our projects might take anywhere from 6 to 20 months so our sheets could get reorganized many times during that time frame.  If you don't have this situation then you are blessed.  It is not a fun experience.

Our sets get publish on an almost weekly basis.  The banker, lawyer, Contractor, the client's Drape consultant or marketing consultant all wanting preliminary sets to do whatever.  So once we issue a number, we try not to change it.  Same goes for a detail location but that is  little bit more lax.  The names mention above tie their documents to our drawing numbers so it can be a real pain.  We just keeping adding numbers.  and if a sheet get deleted or whatever, in the title page we null that number.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 09:48:58 AM by Krushert »

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 09:46:21 AM »
Insert a field, then select object, select the object, and based on the object type you selected you'll get different options.

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 09:47:37 AM »
Ah i can do that, what i was looking for though, was a way to have the field set up as a block so when i insert it it auto finds the vport scale without me having to do anything.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

whdjr

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2007, 09:49:03 AM »
Second.  We xref our title blocks.  We do the file-save from the TB template file and adjust the project info for each job.  This is all done by editing text.  The next time the drawings are open the Title blocks are updated.  What is the advantage of fields with the title blocks that are xref?  Now if the title blocks were blocks then I can see the need of Fields.

Does the information in your title block change?  We insert our sheet border with some information that doesn't change.  It also includes attributes for text that need to be sheet specific.  Then we xref other information into the border that may only change a few times during a project but will be the same on every sheet ( like date or # of drawings).  We have different submittals due in our work so these values will change during a job.
The only thing that changes on a regular basis (almost on a weekly basis) is the "Issue Date" and "Issue for whatever" text.   There are 3 pieces of text that drawing specific (DWG Title, ## & scale) and we insert these for each drawing.  All other text in the TB is fixed and will only change if there was mistake or that information was late in getting to us.

If you put the "Issue Date" and "Issue for whatever" text in as an xref then you can edit the xref each week and all sheets will be updated at once.

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2007, 09:50:56 AM »
Ah i can do that, what i was looking for though, was a way to have the field set up as a block so when i insert it it auto finds the vport scale without me having to do anything.
No can do... You'll have to select something because the field references the object's id.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2007, 09:52:51 AM »
YES! (using Sheet Set Manager and sheet views).

I am going to have stand over someone's shoulder to see the sheet Set Manager in action like the way you guys describe.  What little I have played with I found it to be labor intensive needing constant updating.  And I not need any more things that I need to manage.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2007, 09:58:06 AM »
Quote from: whdjr link=topic=15041.msg182582#msg182582
If you put [color=red
the "Issue Date" and "Issue for whatever" text[/color] in as an xref then you can edit the xref each week and all sheets will be updated at once.
Sorry I am not explaining my self very well this morning.  I have been shoveling my rear end off.

That is what we are currently doing.  However; what I was wanting to know was there any more advantages to somehow incorporating fields to make the process even more efficient.

whdjr

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2007, 10:01:32 AM »
Do you need to include the username on there?  That is an option.  There are tons of ways to use Fields but I can't think of any more right now for Titleblocks.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2007, 10:04:06 AM »
No can do... You'll have to select something because the field references the object's id.

I have a lisp that the user selects the viewport then the peice of text that indicates the scale of the viewport.  Matter of Fact Matt Ronjonp, & Tim help with it. 
Scale value of a Viewport