Author Topic: Fields in AutoCAD  (Read 15462 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Fields in AutoCAD
« on: February 14, 2007, 11:47:49 AM »
Just curious. Fields have been around now for a couple of years but I rarely here or see anyone using them.

Quote from: AutoCAD Help
A field is text that contains instructions to display data that you expect to change during the life cycle of the drawing.

When a field is updated, the latest data is displayed. For example, the value of the FileName field is the name of the file. If the file name changes, the new file name is displayed when the field is updated.

Fields can be inserted in any kind of text (except tolerances), including text in table cells, attributes, and attribute definitions. When any text command is active, Insert Field is available on the shortcut menu.

Some sheet set fields can be inserted as placeholders. For example, you can insert SheetNumberAndTitle as a placeholder. Later, when the layout is added to a sheet set, the placeholder field displays the correct sheet number and title.

Block placeholder fields can be used in block attribute definitions while you're working in the Block Editor.

A field for which no value is available displays hyphens (----). For example, the Author field, which is set in the Drawing Properties dialog box, may be blank. An invalid field displays pound signs (####). For example, the CurrentSheetName field, which is valid only in paper space, displays pound signs if it is placed in model space.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Josh Nieman

Re: Fields in AutoCAD
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 11:58:16 AM »
I've recently started using them in our Title Blocks.  I'm in the process of setting up a fresh "company standard" and so revamping and updating the company title block is part of my goal... so that we can xref a title block instead of have a copy of a block in every drawing/layout... and Fields are used for that purpose.

I could have lived without fields, but now that I use them... hoooo wheeee they're sweeeeet.

Birdy

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 01:52:43 PM »
We use 'em mainly in the title block. 
sheet number linked to the layout tab,
job info linked to the drawing properties custom tab.
View title (scale:) linked to the viewport scale.

goodbye rtext!!
 "Very, very, very rewarding"  :lol:

Dinosaur

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 02:06:08 PM »
We don't have a need to reference most of the data that fields can provide.  If I could convince them to start using sheet sets they would become more useful for title blocks, but for us they are currently no more than a novelty.

CADaver

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 02:10:19 PM »
We don't have a need to reference most of the data that fields can provide.  If I could convince them to start using sheet sets they would become more useful for title blocks, but for us they are currently no more than a novelty.
You may wish to investigate their use a little more.  Title blocks are just one application.

whdjr

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 02:18:11 PM »
You may wish to investigate their use a little more.  Title blocks are just one application.

Randys right! :-o  We name our layout tabs the same as the sheet name, etc. A1.01,A1.02,A1.03... so that in our titleblock we have a field that reads the sysvar 'ctab' and displays.  We also have reference bubbles on our sheets that do the same thing that way we don't have change them when we put them on a sheet or move them to another sheet.

Fields are KOOL!!! 8-)

Ken

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 02:29:38 PM »
Fields by themselves aren’t much to shout about, but when used with Sheet Set Manager, they are huge time savers. We have our title block set up with fields, which makes adding a new sheet #3 in a 50 sheet set, adding a revision date and updating the total number of sheets, easy and quick.

We also use them anywhere we have a note such as (See Sheet XX). Using a field linked to the Sheet Number property of that sheet, will automatically update whenever the sheet number changes in Sheet set manager, so you never have to go back and check for every reference like that to manually update them. We have also used them a lot when we start a project without knowing all the actual street names. We set up a Sheet Set property called “STREET A”, with an initial value of “STREET A” and use a field to reference that Sheet Set property anywhere that the street name will need to be shown. After that it’s just a simple thing to later update the Sheet Set Property value to “THOMAS STREET’ and it will be update that field everywhere it is on every sheet in the entire Sheet Set. And when it changes again to “JONES DRIVE” at the last minute, no problem, change the Property value and have Sheet Set Manager do the plotting in the background and they all get updated again without having to even open a drawing. That saves hours of time with every project we do.

Fields won’t do everything, but once you start using them with Sheet Set Manager, you’ll HATE having to work with a set of drawings that don’t have them set up. And the bigger the set of drawings, the more time saved.

Ken

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 02:32:53 PM »
We use them the same way Will does as well as a date stamp along the edge with the date/time each sheet was plotted.  Good for tracking; I've thought about adding the username field to the date stamp, but that seems a little too big-brotherish.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 02:39:37 PM »
but that seems a little too big-brotherish.
True , but when you start getting a big pile of paper no one claims, adding that username to the plot helps figure out what project to charge paper $$ to.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 02:40:53 PM »
It also helps keep plot happy engineers in check.  Seems like the ones here look through the folder - I need 1 of those, and 2 of those, and 1 of those - and never pick up their prints.  They either get distracted, or forget, or just decide they dont need it.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Dinosaur

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 02:52:38 PM »
I just checked the available data again just for grins and there still is almost nothing there that we reference even infrequently except for a bit of the titleblock stuff and I have less chance of reworking out titleblocks than I have getting them to embrace sheet sets.  I am not rejecting them for cause - I would actually like to be able to use them or at least attempt to, but we don't reference details from our plan work, our structure and part labeling is generated automatically by the program and our established workflow just has no application for them.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 04:05:26 PM »
I am using one application of a field that is to set the pass the scale of a viewport to text entity on Con-Doc Grid.  Very sweet and thanks to you guy that help me create it.

Some questions about other uses.

First.  Passing of the layout tab name to the title block drawing number.  Why in this direction.  To me it seems backwards.  It should be pass from the title block to the Layout Tab.  Is this possible?

Second.  We xref our title blocks.  We do the file-save from the TB template file and adjust the project info for each job.  This is all done by editing text.  The next time the drawings are open the Title blocks are updated.  What is the advantage of fields with the title blocks that are xref?  Now if the title blocks were blocks then I can see the need of Fields.

Third. Can Fields jump across Drawings  Our Reference bubbles & whatnot reference a detail# on Sheet in the back of the set.  So I don't see a advantage of using fields.  Am I wrong?

Fourth.  Very Very seldom do we have a drawing change which cause the set to be reorganized.   I can only think of once in the 5 years I have been here.  Why would there be a need for fields?

I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

whdjr

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 08:52:13 AM »
Third. Can Fields jump across Drawings  Our Reference bubbles & whatnot reference a detail# on Sheet in the back of the set.  So I don't see a advantage of using fields.  Am I wrong?

Are the details in the back of the set numbered like 1/A22, 2/A22, 3/A22, and so on.  Well in our sheets they are.  So we have a standard attributed block that we use for this reference.  When we put it on a sheet it pulls the name of the current layout tab (which is our sheet name) and we don't have to input that data.  This works for all our sheets not just on the sheets with details.

whdjr

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 08:56:20 AM »
First.  Passing of the layout tab name to the title block drawing number.  Why in this direction.  To me it seems backwards.  It should be pass from the title block to the Layout Tab.  Is this possible?

It is easier to change a layout name from any other layout is the reason we do it that.  Plus it is easy to read the layout name as a field.  You could probably have the layout tab read the title block but it would be much harder.  You would have to use lisp or vba probably.

whdjr

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 09:02:21 AM »
Second.  We xref our title blocks.  We do the file-save from the TB template file and adjust the project info for each job.  This is all done by editing text.  The next time the drawings are open the Title blocks are updated.  What is the advantage of fields with the title blocks that are xref?  Now if the title blocks were blocks then I can see the need of Fields.

Does the information in your title block change?  We insert our sheet border with some information that doesn't change.  It also includes attributes for text that need to be sheet specific.  Then we xref other information into the border that may only change a few times during a project but will be the same on every sheet ( like date or # of drawings).  We have different submittals due in our work so these values will change during a job.

whdjr

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 09:05:43 AM »
Fourth.  Very Very seldom do we have a drawing change which cause the set to be reorganized.   I can only think of once in the 5 years I have been here.  Why would there be a need for fields?

WOW!! :-o  Our projects might take anywhere from 6 to 20 months so our sheets could get reorganized many times during that time frame.  If you don't have this situation then you are blessed.  It is not a fun experience.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 09:08:13 AM »

Are the details in the back of the set numbered like 1/A22, 2/A22, 3/A22, and so on.  Well in our sheets they are.  So we have a standard attributed block that we use for this reference.  When we put it on a sheet it pulls the name of the current layout tab (which is our sheet name) and we don't have to input that data.  This works for all our sheets not just on the sheets with details.

Opps let me rephrase that.  Can Fields link to other drawing files? ON our floor plan (A1.1) that has a detail reference bubble with detail & sheet attributes that will point a detail on a A7.## series sheet which is a separate drawing file.

Thanks

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 09:13:33 AM »

How did you set that up? Something i might like to toy with
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 09:34:38 AM »

Does the information in your title block change?  We insert our sheet border with some information that doesn't change.  It also includes attributes for text that need to be sheet specific.  Then we xref other information into the border that may only change a few times during a project but will be the same on every sheet ( like date or # of drawings).  We have different submittals due in our work so these values will change during a job.
The only thing that changes on a regular basis (almost on a weekly basis) is the "Issue Date" and "Issue for whatever" text.   There are 3 pieces of text that drawing specific (DWG Title, ## & scale) and we insert these for each drawing.  All other text in the TB is fixed and will only change if there was mistake or that information was late in getting to us.

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 09:39:03 AM »
Opps let me rephrase that.  Can Fields link to other drawing files? ON our floor plan (A1.1) that has a detail reference bubble with detail & sheet attributes that will point a detail on a A7.## series sheet which is a separate drawing file.
YES! (using Sheet Set Manager and sheet views).

I've not done it yet, but would like to in the future.  It would make coordination of details a whole LOT smoother!

whdjr

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 09:40:48 AM »

How did you set that up? Something i might like to toy with

Probably using 'Object' then selecting 'Custom Scale'.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 09:45:18 AM »
Quote from: whdjr link=topic=15041.msg182547#msg182547
WOW!! :-o  Our projects might take anywhere from 6 to 20 months so our sheets could get reorganized many times during that time frame.  If you don't have this situation then you are blessed.  It is not a fun experience.

Our sets get publish on an almost weekly basis.  The banker, lawyer, Contractor, the client's Drape consultant or marketing consultant all wanting preliminary sets to do whatever.  So once we issue a number, we try not to change it.  Same goes for a detail location but that is  little bit more lax.  The names mention above tie their documents to our drawing numbers so it can be a real pain.  We just keeping adding numbers.  and if a sheet get deleted or whatever, in the title page we null that number.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 09:48:58 AM by Krushert »

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 09:46:21 AM »
Insert a field, then select object, select the object, and based on the object type you selected you'll get different options.

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 09:47:37 AM »
Ah i can do that, what i was looking for though, was a way to have the field set up as a block so when i insert it it auto finds the vport scale without me having to do anything.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

whdjr

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2007, 09:49:03 AM »

The only thing that changes on a regular basis (almost on a weekly basis) is the "Issue Date" and "Issue for whatever" text.   There are 3 pieces of text that drawing specific (DWG Title, ## & scale) and we insert these for each drawing.  All other text in the TB is fixed and will only change if there was mistake or that information was late in getting to us.

If you put the "Issue Date" and "Issue for whatever" text in as an xref then you can edit the xref each week and all sheets will be updated at once.

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2007, 09:50:56 AM »
Ah i can do that, what i was looking for though, was a way to have the field set up as a block so when i insert it it auto finds the vport scale without me having to do anything.
No can do... You'll have to select something because the field references the object's id.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2007, 09:52:51 AM »
YES! (using Sheet Set Manager and sheet views).

I am going to have stand over someone's shoulder to see the sheet Set Manager in action like the way you guys describe.  What little I have played with I found it to be labor intensive needing constant updating.  And I not need any more things that I need to manage.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2007, 09:58:06 AM »
Quote from: whdjr link=topic=15041.msg182582#msg182582
If you put [color=red
the "Issue Date" and "Issue for whatever" text[/color] in as an xref then you can edit the xref each week and all sheets will be updated at once.
Sorry I am not explaining my self very well this morning.  I have been shoveling my rear end off.

That is what we are currently doing.  However; what I was wanting to know was there any more advantages to somehow incorporating fields to make the process even more efficient.

whdjr

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2007, 10:01:32 AM »
Do you need to include the username on there?  That is an option.  There are tons of ways to use Fields but I can't think of any more right now for Titleblocks.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2007, 10:04:06 AM »
No can do... You'll have to select something because the field references the object's id.

I have a lisp that the user selects the viewport then the peice of text that indicates the scale of the viewport.  Matter of Fact Matt Ronjonp, & Tim help with it. 
Scale value of a Viewport

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2007, 10:05:49 AM »
Do you need to include the username on there?  That is an option.  There are tons of ways to use Fields but I can't think of any more right now for Titleblocks.
Yes and no.  Sometimes it needed but it not a big problem.  Thanks.

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2007, 10:36:59 AM »
That's no good for my company, conly CAD has full AutoCAD, everyone else is on LT.

Dave R

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2007, 12:45:07 PM »
We use them to tie to the area of polylines for square footage analysis. That way if the polyline area changes the field automatically updates. The field data is then exported to an Excel spreadsheet for further use.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2007, 12:56:59 PM »
dang... we should have  a contest... "most creative use of fields"

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2007, 01:07:18 PM »
I'm currently using them to monitor the force of gravity on two different shaped/size objects.  As the force of the gravity changes, so does the level of profanity that is used while working with AutoCAD - in this case, Building Systems.   :-D :wink:

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2007, 01:26:35 PM »
We use them to tie to the area of polylines for square footage analysis. That way if the polyline area changes the field automatically updates. The field data is then exported to an Excel spreadsheet for further use.
Good Idea

And another good Idea

Josh Nieman

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2007, 01:31:31 PM »
I'm currently using them to monitor the force of gravity on two different shaped/size objects.  As the force of the gravity changes, so does the level of profanity that is used while working with AutoCAD - in this case, Building Systems.   :-D :wink:

Get used to saying "MEEP" now that it's AutoCAD MEP!

MEEP MEEP, GET OUTTA MY WAY I GOT DUCTS TO ROUTE!

ok it was funnier in my head.

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2007, 01:35:35 PM »
Good Idea
If you're using ADT or ABS, you can use SPACES and then export that info directly to Excel.  Think of it as a field on crack!

pmvliet

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2007, 03:26:05 PM »
Since I am in the process of setting up a titleblock for a new client, this post has prompted me to investigate fields.

I'd like to reference my titleblock. And so far it is.

I got the sheet number linked to the layout tab name so that is kewl.

For my sheet title or description, am I able to have this in the reference as a blank field
and then edit the value in the active file?

Or do I need to set this information via drawing properties as Birdy has done?

Thanks,
Pieter

Dinosaur

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2007, 03:37:08 PM »
When I explored the Sheet Set Manager tool, it seemed there were a number of areas within the project settings that could be addressed by fields and thus made available for title blocks.  Changes such as the project name, phase or even client areas could be updated once in the project settings and all items referenced would be changed.  This is the one area I can see fields being useful for my application but with a crop of rookie underlings and management only comfortable with r9 procedures and tools any change seems to be quite unlikely.

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2007, 03:38:11 PM »
You can do it like Birdy, or, if you're using the Sheet Set Manager, you can link to the description for the various sheets (or link to the sheet Sub-Set name) or any other custom property.

pmvliet

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2007, 03:48:56 PM »
Hmmm... trying not to get too advanced right of the bat.
Didn't want to get into sheet set manager just yet...

Thanks...

hey Birdy.. you mind sharing how you set yours up?

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2007, 06:16:33 PM »
Yes,
Just for Northings/Easting at the moment
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

Birdy

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2007, 08:06:47 PM »
define the custom field first
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 08:08:11 PM by Birdy »

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2007, 08:55:55 PM »
Yes,
Just for Northings/Easting at the moment

I'm using the X,Y fields too. I'm using them to fill in an informational sheet we have to file with the state.

Has anyone used any of the block information including attributes?
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2007, 09:10:47 PM »
Birdy,

How do you transfer that Info in the drawing properties to other drawing files for the project?   I thought Drawing Properties was single file specific. 

BTW; Nice Architect Name  :wink:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 09:13:28 PM by Krushert »

Dave R

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2007, 12:27:45 PM »
Yes we use fields in attributes in Dynamic Blocks for Part Numbers based on a look-up table. When the part changes based on orientation, length, visibility state, etc... We can automatically update the attribute based on the look-up table link.

I'm using the X,Y fields too. I'm using them to fill in an informational sheet we have to file with the state.

Has anyone used any of the block information including attributes?

Birdy

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2007, 12:39:55 PM »
Sorry for the delay...
Birdy,

How do you transfer that Info in the drawing properties to other drawing files for the project?   I thought Drawing Properties was single file specific. 
We dont.  Mostly that stuff does not change file to file.
Not saying it's the best way, but it does work pretty well for us.
To start a new file, (for same job) typically I just "save as" and delete all layouts cept one, and delete all MS stuff. Quick, easy, painless.
The other option is QNew, and fill out the titleblock again (na-thanks)  We've never xref'd Tblocks.  But I'm considering it.
Not saying it's the best way, but it does work pretty well for us.