Author Topic: Layer States ?????  (Read 3027 times)

Jassper

Layer States ?????
« on: June 14, 2004, 12:28:09 AM »
When ACAD opens a Drawing that has layer states activated - how does it know what to show? Does it show the "original" file or does it show the layer state. And how do you get ACAD to show the Original file without any layer states activated.?

Confused - So am I cause I don't like Layer States. I want to see everything.

So my Bos decides he wants to do some contours in my drawing... not a problem. After he is done I then go and continue with my changes. He opens up the Drawing again for editing, activates his layer states, which wipes out my changes. Now how do I get it to revert back to my "original" settings. I need his updates but not what his layer state has changed.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks  Linda

P.S. I put this here cause I need help even though I realize it could have gone into the Rant Section. I Hate Layer States!! I'll go cry now. :roll:

hyposmurf

Layer States ?????
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 07:46:31 AM »
How about restore states in the Layer Property manager?Is it also possible that he may have just overwritten your file and just turned the layers off individually? :shock:

Jassper

Layer States ?????
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 03:38:05 PM »
Ok maybe I wasn't clear enough....

I have no other layer states in the drawing than what he created. so Restore States would not work cause no states exist.

Is that clearer. I'm banging my head on the wall with this one - cause everything I change I have to rechange when he has been in the drawing.

Thanks  Linda

M-dub

Layer States ?????
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 03:53:56 PM »
Quote from: Jassper
I have no other layer states in the drawing than what he created. so Restore States would not work cause no states exist.

Do you mean you have no layers?!  Please tell me you don't mean that!

I don't have 2004 yet, so I guess I should keep my mouth shut (what else is new?!), but when you say "Layer State", that tells me whether a layer is on, off, frozen or thawed, etc.  You don't mean you draw everything on layer 0 do you?

Jassper

Layer States ?????
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 04:26:32 PM »
Here is the Help File for Layer States From Express tools
Cya gotta get back

Express Tools Layer Manager

LMAN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Layer manager

Manages layer settings by allowing you to save and restore layer configurations into layer states. Layer states can be modified, restored, or renamed during an AutoCAD session. Layer states are saved in the drawing, but they can also be exported to or imported from a LAY file.

Dialog Box Options
Save        Saves the current layer settings into the selected layer state. If a new name is specified, a new state is created.
Edit          Displays the Layer Properties Manager dialog box, where changes can be made to the selected layer state. If no layer states exist, a new one is created.
Rename     Renames a layer state.
Delete      Deletes a layer state and displays the following message: Are you sure you want to delete <layer state name>?
Import      Displays the Import File Name dialog box to specify a LAY file name, drive, and directory for importing into the current drawing. A Find File button opens the Browse/Search subdialog box to locate saved .lay files.
Export        Displays the Export File Name dialog box to specify a LAY file name, drive, and directory for exporting from the current drawing.
Options      Sets options to use for layer status restore operations. This option allows you to specify the layer properties to be restored (on/off, freeze/thaw, color, linetype, and so on).
Restore       Restores the layer settings in the selected layer state without closing the dialog box.
Help            Provides help for the Layer Manager.

hyposmurf

Layer States ?????
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 05:31:46 PM »
The important line in the above text is:
Options Sets options to use for layer status restore operations. This option allows you to specify the layer properties to be restored (on/off, freeze/thaw, color, linetype, and so on).
When you go into save your layer states,you must select the optioms you wnat it to save,such as On/Off,Frozen/Thawed etc in the Layer states.If you havent selected these when your go to restore your layer states you wont be able to restore frozen/thawed layers.So it may be the case that you have lost your layer states  :shock: .I hope you didnt have 100's of layers in that drawing!

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Layer States ?????
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 06:16:07 PM »
Quote from: Jassper
Ok maybe I wasn't clear enough....

Is that clearer. I'm banging my head on the wall with this one - cause everything I change I have to rechange when he has been in the drawing.

Thanks  Linda

You need to create a Layer State of your own, with all settings checked to be saved. You can even export this to disk and then re-import it later, if needed. If you have similar drawings that have not yet been used by him, create your layer state there and import to the drawing in question.

HTH,
Jeff

Jassper

Layer States ?????
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 03:11:09 PM »
See the whole problem that arises is I do not want to use Layer States. I change things continually as I am working in a drawing, the settings for layer states would always be wrong.

Thanks for trying guys.
Linda

t-bear

Layer States ?????
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 03:16:07 PM »
iSN'T THERE A WAY TO DELETE LAYER STATES?(Damn CAPs)
Thought I saw something "somewhere" that would do that.... Hmmmmmm......

OK Jassper, I don't know Jack about layer filters & layer states but if you delete the layer filters does that eliminate the states?  If so ....SPD has a routine that deletes layer filters on his site ...look under products......about the second one down.

HTH Kidd-o!  :roll:

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Layer States ?????
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 03:53:48 PM »
T-Bear, layerstates and layerfilters are not inter-connected.....

Jassper,
It seems to me you misunderstand "layer states" In no way will they "wipeout" your changes to the main drawing entities. They only affect the display of the layers themselves.

Going back to your original post: "When ACAD opens a Drawing that has layer states activated - how does it know what to show? Does it show the "original" file or does it show the layer state. And how do you get ACAD to show the Original file without any layer states activated.?"
The drawing that is displayed upon opening is exactly as it was being viewed when it was last saved. Layer states play no role in this, unless a layer state was restored immediately prior to saving.
Then you say: "I want to see everything." To this I would suggest, again, that you create a LayerState of your own that has all layers thawed & on, and save it to disk. Then restore that state once you open a drawing that does not appear the way you like it.......Or just open the layer manager, rightclick, selectall, click on and thaw.....Or write a little lisp that will turn on and thaw all layers at startup.....

Jeff

Jassper

Layer States ?????
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2004, 04:14:42 PM »
Jeff I understand what you are saying.. However if I change a color of the layer... then make a layer state active that was created without my color change in it, ACAD will change the color of that layer to whatever it was when the Layerstate was created. The only thing I can do now is to go back and rechange the layer color to what I had (not origionally but what I had changed it to).

Make sence

This is what I am trying to avoid - not only colors but everything in regards to how the layers are shown can change with this one &&%&*& command.

Thanks  Linda