Author Topic: standards  (Read 7697 times)

CottageCGirl

standards
« on: February 06, 2007, 09:19:12 AM »
I have a co-worker who has drawn a commercial building with the steel on layer "Wall-Int" color 3 by layer and the thickness of the sheetrock on layer "Wall-Comp" color 8 by layer.....when I zoom extents, some of the walls show up as green and some as grey....we have never drawn the sheet rock thickness on our doc's since it is standard thruought the building...is this a standard?
My problem with it is that the steel shows as the heavy line, not the actual interior line of the wall, I was always taught that the perimeter lines are most important...any thoughts?

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
Re: standards
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 10:06:15 AM »
Hard to ask standards outside of a company.

While there are national CAD standards out there, lot's of companies just use their own.

The question I have for you is what is YOUR company standard?  If this person is not following it then correct the cow-orker.

CottageCGirl

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 10:09:34 AM »

While there are national CAD standards out there, lot's of companies just use their own.

The question I have for you is what is YOUR company standard?  If this person is not following it then correct the cow-orker.

We apparently have none.... :realmad:

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 10:21:38 AM »

We apparently have none.... :realmad:

Then put together your personal standards.  And present them to whoever you need to to set up standards.

CottageCGirl

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 10:24:06 AM »
We have an AMAZING drafter on staff and he has been beating his head against his monitor for years....its the implementing that is the problem....

Dinosaur

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 10:24:23 AM »
A drawing convention I have always held to whether drawing by hand or CAD for civil, structural or electrical/mechanical is that the elements you are most interested in on a given drawing should stand out from the rest.  You archies have a bigger problem not only having to fight with those weird scales but having to show all kinds of different layers of material in your walls so any other elements need to remain very discreet.  In this case, I would think a commercial building will have structural drawings that will be showing the steel design where they can have their chance at standing out.  You should just need to know where the steel is and the size it should be.  A thin outline of the shape correctly positioned and sized should be sufficient on architectural plans.

daron

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
My first question is this: Are you using ADT? If so, even if said person wants to draw sheetrock components, these would normally be done for presentation purposes and never for construction documents. That said, in ADT, you can open the display properties for said style, select the plan toggle (it should be highlighted) and turn off the component in plan view. This could however pose a problem in that you are probably turning off the true extent of your perimeter. Also, under components, there is a set of toggles for dimensioning purposes as well as an offset. Set the dimension toggle to off for the sheetrock and move each component over the distance of the sheetrock to compensate for the loss of the perimeter. After that, fillet your walls one by one to clean them up properly.

If you're not using ADT, freeze the layer, move the walls, create a noose out of string and hang it above your co-workers cubicle with a friendly note not to do that again.

CottageCGirl

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 11:26:58 AM »
yup...ADT and the part I most care about IS the interior line of the wall....hmph...we don't do presentations......just const. docs that go out to an architect....

CottageCGirl

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 11:28:29 AM »
DARON...btw....I am just converting from 2005 to ADT2005, where is the XREF toolbar icon...do you know where it's default posit. is?  driving me nuts........cant find ....

daron

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 10:29:39 PM »
Sorry, I never used 2005. I've seen it and didn't like it and have never used the xref toolbar in any release. Hope you get a real upgrade soon. 2007's very nice. Maybe 2008 will be better.

hornet

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 03:54:46 PM »
DARON...btw....I am just converting from 2005 to ADT2005, where is the XREF toolbar icon...do you know where it's default posit. is?  driving me nuts........cant find ....

Hello CottageCGirl

I know exactly what you mean about converting to ADT, I'm trying to do the same but I have to "adjust" the ADT cad standards to our company standards.  I found that the firms ctb file will not cope with ADT standards hence the time and trouble to set up the keylayer standards.
However to get to use the full range of view displays in ADT I have developed a "Cad standard" that works. Have a look under cad standards or e-mail direct for a copy. 
Just to let you know the B.S. are looking at these at the moment.
regards
Hornet

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 05:31:30 PM »
yup...ADT and the part I most care about IS the interior line of the wall....hmph...we don't do presentations......just const. docs that go out to an architect....

Yes but are you using the ADT smart walls?  Or are you like my firm using ADT software to draw 2d walls? 

We typical place our Interior Walls on a heavy pen weight and since we are using scales greater than 1/4" (ie 1/8") we single line the walls.  When we have a 1/4" floor main floor plan we will then draw the double lines for gwb but back the pen weight off 1 notch.  I recently had a project that I had a floor plan at 1/16" and i drew the walls lines representing the GWB and what-not.  But i place the inner layers on light pen weights.  Since I was doing a lot of xrefing I would just shut those layers off in the 1/16" plan.  The reason for this, is the modular homebuilder that was going receive my cad files I wanted them to see how I laid out my walls.

Steel columns we keep a medium pen weight setting.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 05:38:52 PM »

To turn on the Reference Tool Bar (xref) right on a the adjacent space to already open tool bar. Go to ACAD , then select reference.
See Image
**edit smaller image**
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 05:40:48 PM by Krushert »

CottageCGirl

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 09:57:15 AM »

To turn on the Reference Tool Bar (xref) right on a the adjacent space to already open tool bar. Go to ACAD , then select reference.
See Image
**edit smaller image**

AHHHHH, the problem is that the only choices I have are:
ADT
Custom (my own)
ea_desginer (my own)
Express

no ACAD....I am on 2005, is that the issue...
I did not load this on my machine, someone else did...does this mean I am missing stuff?

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 12:11:31 PM »
AHHHHH, the problem is that the only choices I have are:
ADT
Custom (my own)
ea_desginer (my own)
Express

no ACAD....I am on 2005, is that the issue...
I did not load this on my machine, someone else did...does this mean I am missing stuff?

You just have to load that menu group.  Type MENULOAD at the command prompt and hit the browse button on the Menu Groups tab.  It should take you to your ACAD support folder.  There you should find the ACAD.mnu.  Select it and click open.  Back on the Menu Groups Tab hit load. 

Now here comes the catch (there is always a catch), for some reason (and I don't why - maybe someone can answer this) it will sometimes unload your already loaded menu groups.   :x  You will just have to reload the those groups.  Any Custom Buttons Icons that are not properly pathed might lose their way.  So before you load ACAD.mnu, take a look to see where those are pathed.

Hint: if you have print screen capture tool, use it, much more efficient than writing things down.

2005 is not the issue, it is just the way ADT loads it menus at time of installation.  2007 with the CUIs dose the same thing.  I like all the menus groups loaded so that i have easier access to them.  But this cause a slower loading at startup of ACAD
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 12:16:09 PM by Krushert »