Author Topic: Multiple Insertion Points  (Read 11523 times)

hudster

• Gator
Multiple Insertion Points
« on: February 08, 2007, 06:38:37 AM »
Using Dynamic blocks it's possible to have multiple insertion points for a block.

Open the block in block editor, and add point parameters where you wish to have an insertion point, as in the attached image, you don't need to assign an action to the parameters.

Then save your definition and exit the block editor, now when you insert the block, hit the Ctrl key to cycle through your chosen insertion points.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

M-dub

Re: Multiple Insertion Points
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 08:10:19 AM »
I'm just curious, but why would you want multiple insertion points for a block?  Sounds interesting... I just wonder if it's something I may have wished for at one time or another.

whdjr

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 08:12:24 AM »
It would really be best to give them an action, such as move.  If you leave them without an action then if select the block after you insert it the grips show up but don't do anything.  On the same note you can't turn their visibility off because they won't function as additional insertion points.

So the point is, it is probably a good idea to give them an action even though as Andy stated you don't have to for them to work properly.

daron

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 08:40:39 AM »
They were designed as insertion points when inserting the block. It really isn't necessary to give them an action. However, if you put them in a palette, you can change the palette properties of scale and rotate on the block when inserted so you can avoid adding dynamic actions within the block itself. Upon second thought, a move parameter might not be such a bad idea, with the exception that it might move the block from its true insbase point. I haven't tested that theory, so I don't know for sure. It doesn't sound like something I'd want to do though.

M-dub

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 08:43:52 AM »
Man, it sounds like learning Dynamic Blocks will be an undertaking all of its own, once we upgrade.

Interesting.  Thanks guys.

daron

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 08:53:12 AM »
It's not too hard, really. Take about 15 minutes to play with the buttons and make sure the properties window is open. It is the best way to really manipulate the params and actions. Then try to challenge yourself and you'll get even more familiar with them.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 08:53:27 AM »
Wow, that's a good idea.  Thanks much!

As for WHY to have multiple insertion points..  well sometimes you don't have ALL the geometry yet, to place your object properly.  It's all inserting based upon a known point... there's always a chance when a situation will arise where you don't necessarily know the point at which you normally insert it, so if you can use an alternate frame of reference, it keeps you from inserting it roughly in the area, then moving it using other points in the block, because you were forced to use the insertion point... now there are choices and, my friends... choices is what makes life grand.

...god my fingers were just DRIPPING with sap...

Kate M

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 11:54:50 AM »
It would really be best to give them an action, such as move.  If you leave them without an action then if select the block after you insert it the grips show up but don't do anything.

I discovered that pretty quick when I kept trying to use those grips to drag the block around, and they'd just fly off into space. :-)

As for WHY to have multiple insertion points..  well sometimes you don't have ALL the geometry yet, to place your object properly.  It's all inserting based upon a known point...

The ones I have with multiple insertion points are steel and wood shapes, and grid bubbles. (I'm sure there are lots more uses, those are just what I have now.)

Josh Nieman

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 12:02:33 PM »
It would really be best to give them an action, such as move.  If you leave them without an action then if select the block after you insert it the grips show up but don't do anything.

I discovered that pretty quick when I kept trying to use those grips to drag the block around, and they'd just fly off into space. :-)

As for WHY to have multiple insertion points..  well sometimes you don't have ALL the geometry yet, to place your object properly.  It's all inserting based upon a known point...

The ones I have with multiple insertion points are steel and wood shapes, and grid bubbles. (I'm sure there are lots more uses, those are just what I have now.)

I was actually thinking about steel shapes when I saw this post.  I use Al's Steel Mill so it's this benefit is kind of 'out' with me for steel shapes.  I don't feel like going through the trouble of setting up a lookup dynamic block that reads an Excel sheet from AISC.  Not when I already have the steel mill that also does 3d (which is the biggest benefit for me)

Kate M

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 01:13:02 PM »
Yeah, well, when you're using LT, you work with what you got. :roll:

Josh Nieman

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 01:20:13 PM »
Yeah, well, when you're using LT, you work with what you got. :roll:

ahhh yea, I see.

This company we work with very often, and share the building with, recently upgraded to Building Systems during that last sale Autodesk had to get LT customers upgraded and on subscription.  They got Building Systems because it has full autocad with it, and was only a couple hundred dollars more iirc.  They figured it'd be good to learn Building Systems, but for the immediate future, wanted full Autocad... yet they don't want to spend time learning or using any LSP routines I have accumulated over the years, or use any customization at all, citing "We've done it this way for this long, it's working fine"

...so WHY upgrade!?  Stay in your stone age and chisel out your breaker panel schedules on stone tablets...

Sdoman

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 07:50:57 AM »
Alternatively, there is a little known new option in the INSERT command that allows the user to pick a new insertion point when dragging a block to location.  The new option is "Basepoint".  Type "B" for Basepoint and AutoCAD pauses dragging the block and prompts you to select a new insertion point.  Pick a new point anywhere on the screen.  AutoCAD then resumes dragging the block with the new insertion point. 

Specify insertion point or [Basepoint/Scale/Rotate]: B
Specify base point: <pick anywhere>

whdjr

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 11:38:36 AM »
Alternatively, there is a little known new option in the INSERT command that allows the user to pick a new insertion point when dragging a block to location.  The new option is "Basepoint".  Type "B" for Basepoint and AutoCAD pauses dragging the block and prompts you to select a new insertion point.  Pick a new point anywhere on the screen.  AutoCAD then resumes dragging the block with the new insertion point. 

Specify insertion point or [Basepoint/Scale/Rotate]: B
Specify base point: <pick anywhere>

Thanks Steve,

I find all sorts of new tools when I bother to read the command line.  AutoCad sneaks in these little upgrades and then doesn't tell anyone.

Cool Find!!

Sdoman

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 09:50:58 AM »
Thanks Steve,

I find all sorts of new tools when I bother to read the command line.  AutoCad sneaks in these little upgrades and then doesn't tell anyone.

Cool Find!!

You're welcome. I forgot to mention that the Basepoint option works for any block, dynamic  or not.  I think this new option was introduced in versions 2005 or 2006.