Author Topic: Challenge the membership  (Read 14769 times)

quicksilver

Re: Challenge the membership
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2007, 01:07:08 PM »
I wasn't suggesting that you join the contest.  Any 3d package should be able to make the files.  I make them just to challenge myself without the timer.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2007, 02:15:56 PM »
Create a single sided object... that object that your geometry teacher shows you just to mess with your head.  You take a strip of paper 1" wide X 12" in length, approx.  Hold the ends, then twist one end 180%%d and tape it to the other end, making a loop... then if you draw a line on one side continuously through the loop... you'll draw on both sides, and end up where you started... giving reason to the argument that the shape indeed only has one side, and thickness... which should be impossible.

Anyways... Autocad and importing it into 3dsmax both couldn't handle the shape for me... if someone can do it without it getting all artifacty or jittered... i'd love to know how.

here's the best screen cap I can do.

I think they don't totally understand it, because there is no normal face... because it switches or whatever... anyways, it's one solid object 1/16" thick, with one side.. so to speak.

It may be easy to model for some... but there's a bit of tricks to it.

SDETERS

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2007, 02:34:14 PM »
Does it have to have a thickness?

Please check out the model

Josh Nieman

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2007, 02:47:02 PM »
Does it have to have a thickness?

Not really... doesn't matter i guess.

Please check out the model

Yea, I shoulda thought to do a mesh.  I'm too used to solids though.  I model with solids pretty much exclusively.  Your model looks better than mine, in a shaded view, but still gets choppy and has problems similar to mine... could be video card related.. who knows...

yep, you got 'er though...

Yea... I just don't know anything that would be hard to model...

Josh Nieman

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2007, 04:25:24 PM »
Maybe a fun thing to do...

Model your favorite fast food restaurant!  It's something we'd all know and recognize (for the most part) so it wouldn't be subjective at all, since we'd all know whether the Golden Arches have 2 or 3 humps ;)