Author Topic: Challenge the membership  (Read 14772 times)

SDETERS

Re: Challenge the membership
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 09:51:28 PM »
No  I am thinking of one that is in your headlights in your car!

uncoolperson

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 09:56:53 PM »
dangit, cause i'm pretty good with the other

Bob

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 07:43:30 AM »
I was bored when my wife worked on nights the other night.

I was looking at a glass / metal lightshade in the study above my computer.

I decided to model it. Looking closely at it, it is a dodecahedron with a point sticking out from the middle of each face.

(a dodecahedron is a 12 faced shape with each face having 5 sides)

No cheating (you can look up the angles with google) this needs to be constructed.

Its really strange some things that you do when your wife's on nights.....
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 07:38:09 PM by Bob »

Cavediver

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2007, 09:15:03 AM »
Before I say correct please post step or iges file.  It looks ok!  I will post the result Monday! Is that fillet at the bottom tangent to the surface?  Is that fillet centerline going through the center of the pin?

YOu got the idea

If you did it in a tool path type cutter in a cam package that is not fair!  I know you use Solidworks so did you cheat and use the cam package or did you model it from scratch?

I will have a model MOnday I will post.  It is really cool.  Think of modeling a Fillament in a LIght Bulb!

I doubt it's correct.  already changed the model though, and it's at the office.  I'll post it up on Monday though.

SDETERS

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 08:21:40 AM »
Here is a model of the shaft or the cheese and log problem if you will.

this should open up in Autocad Please tell me if does not and I will try an earlier sat version.

Please look at this part it represents the cutter profile and not the shaft being cut I will up load shaft when I get a chance  Fixed

thanks

oK Finally got time during lunch to post a better model.  I hope this helps

Added shaft sat file

« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 01:17:59 PM by SDETERS »

Cavediver

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2007, 10:31:33 AM »
I was looking at a glass / metal lightshade in the study above my computer.
Lol, I was working on something similar not too long ago.  My wife and I have a little candle holder in our den.  I needed some backdrop items for a rendering, and thought that would be neat.  Here it is, bronze and glass.  I never could get the internal lighting to work though.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 10:42:12 AM by Cavediver »

Josh Nieman

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2007, 11:14:51 AM »
(a dodecahedron is a 12 faced shape with each face having 5 sides)

No cheating (you can look up the angles with google) this needs to be constructed.

That's what I mean about software being too easy to make models these days.  Using a program like Inventor that's parametric, one would only have to draw the pentagon, extrude it at a draft angle of 5-20 degrees or so to make it look right to get the point, then, in an assembly insert that object 20 times, attach them by edge until you have completed the dodecahedron, make all angles equal, and bam... there it is.

In Autocad there'd be a few more steps... but not really... not with the align command and such.

SDETERS

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2007, 02:01:48 PM »
Cool looking part I wish I knew the in and outs of rendering with materials and such

Anyways I will find the filament model and convert that and see of you anybody can figure that one out

Bob

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »
That's exactly it, Cavediver.

Sorry that it was too easy for you.

My wife is on nights again. Now lets see what else to draw........

quicksilver

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 07:22:15 AM »
This has been going on in the inventor community for a while.
http://worldcup.teknigroup.com/worldcupfiles.asp
The January one looks interesting.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2007, 08:14:59 AM »
This has been going on in the inventor community for a while.
http://worldcup.teknigroup.com/worldcupfiles.asp
The January one looks interesting.

That's one of the first things I thought of when Mark started this... it's really successful over there... but from what I see it's more of a competition to see who can do it faster which... sucks.

Sorry, but the only place I have Inventor AND Autocad is at work and I'm not going to "compete" when I get phone calls, meetings, interruptions way to often... I have Autocad at home, but then again I have diaper changes for Maverick (my son, not Maverick®) feedings, unexpected episodes of Scrubs, and beer-thirty, beer-fifteen, beer-o-clock, beer-forty-five...

SDETERS

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 08:20:25 AM »
I think it is also just for people running inventor.  What if you want to run something like Solidworks or Solidedge or Catia?  They probably will not let you play.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 08:44:17 AM »
I think it is also just for people running inventor.  What if you want to run something like Solidworks or Solidedge or Catia?  They probably will not let you play.

True, it's put on on the Autodesk Discussion Boards.  It's software-community specific.  Maybe in the discussion boards or community pages of those software packages you could find something?  I would be surprised if Solidworks specifically did NOT have something like this going on... they seemed to have a pretty good community going.

Cavediver

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2007, 08:59:26 AM »
That's exactly it, Cavediver.

Sorry that it was too easy for you.

My wife is on nights again. Now lets see what else to draw........
Lol, don't get that idea.  It's something I'd already put thought into before you posted the idea.  Besides, SolidWorks is what made it easy.  It's one of the benefits of the modeling process in that program.

Cavediver

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2007, 09:06:47 AM »

True, it's put on on the Autodesk Discussion Boards.  It's software-community specific.  Maybe in the discussion boards or community pages of those software packages you could find something?  I would be surprised if Solidworks specifically did NOT have something like this going on... they seemed to have a pretty good community going.
I've played in a SW rendering challenge, but my lack of OS upgrade has prevented me from working with 2007.  Supposedly the Photoworks package has been seriously improved.

BTW SDETRERS, the simple renderings (all I can do) are easy.  Slap some materials on it and use stock lighting setups.  Getting something realistic is a lot more challenging.  That's why I download the SW challenge every month.  I've yet to send in one of my efforts, it's really more for educating myself.
http://www.robrodriguez.com