Author Topic: Challenge the membership  (Read 14767 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Challenge the membership
« on: January 26, 2007, 04:16:58 PM »
Describe an object that would challenge the abilities of members here if they had to create it in 3D.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Cathy

Re: Challenge the membership
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 04:20:17 PM »
A spring.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 04:30:02 PM »
A flaccid...

balloon.

uncoolperson

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 04:39:37 PM »
this

Josh Nieman

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 04:53:34 PM »
this

That's been solved for a long time.  You create it by having the legs curve away from the camera along an axis that runs parallel with the camera's angle.  Thus the back leg will curve towards the camera from top to bottom, in front of the front leg which curves backward.  These curves, since they curve along an axis that shows no deviation in the camera's eye, will reveal a seemingly-straight leg.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 04:56:44 PM »
Describe an object that would challenge the abilities of members here if they had to create it in 3D.

I don't think MODELING is the problem anymore.  Which such sophisticated modeling programs using NURBs, and even current solid editing technology with improved boolean operations... I really don't think there's anything I can't model.

Photorealistic rendering is what is the big thing nowadays, I think... it used to be "who can make the best fire" and now someone made plugins for software that makes it easy... it used to be "who can get gemstones to appear realistic" and now there's plugins for that...

I'm not sure what the current hard-object-to-make is... I'm not too up on the current events of the rendering community anymore.  Too busy modeling.

I don't think there's anything that's hard to model... just... time consuming.  I would like to be proven wrong though, and give something that proves me wrong, a shot!

SDETERS

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 05:55:24 PM »
Here is a good one for you.

You have a shaft that shaft is turning  and you are taking a cutting tool and cutting into that shaft perpenducalar to its center as the cutting tool is revolving and moving down a distance around the center of the shaft.  At the end of the cut you have true full fillets that represent the cutting tool.  Also known as a 5 axes milling job.

I would like to see if any body has modeled something like that.  I know how to do it.  Hint it is not a simple revolve with translation!!!!

I would like to see and IGES and or Step file if you think you have it figured out. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 05:57:15 PM by SDETERS »

Cavediver

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 06:13:32 PM »
Here is a good one for you.

You have a shaft that shaft is turning  and you are taking a cutting tool and cutting into that shaft perpenducalar to its center as the cutting tool is revolving and moving down a distance around the center of the shaft.  At the end of the cut you have true full fillets that represent the cutting tool.  Also known as a 5 axes milling job.

I would like to see if any body has modeled something like that.  I know how to do it.  Hint it is not a simple revolve with translation!!!!

I would like to see and IGES and or Step file if you think you have it figured out. 

Not quite following you.  How about a little demo?

cad-waulader

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 06:15:07 PM »
cutting tool is cutting into the shaft by pressing into the shaft, perpendicular to center axis of shaft...
then I lose the visual.  can you say again?

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 06:18:08 PM »
Think a vertical cheese log being cut by a wire that moves down as the log spins.  Right?

I'm from Wisconsin. Everything is about cheese.   :-D

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 06:19:26 PM »
Amend that to the wire revolving and dropping.  The log stays put.

Same diff though.  I think.  :?

cad-waulader

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 06:23:33 PM »
Cheddar, or Jack?  Aged, or not? Nut-coating, or wax?  Organic, or GMO?  Calif, or Wisconsin?  Need to define more parameters to tackle this one.   

Cavediver

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 06:34:24 PM »
Also, ball end cutter, or a flat endmill?
Is this along the right lines?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 06:36:37 PM by Cavediver »

SDETERS

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 09:34:15 PM »
Before I say correct please post step or iges file.  It looks ok!  I will post the result Monday! Is that fillet at the bottom tangent to the surface?  Is that fillet centerline going through the center of the pin?

YOu got the idea

If you did it in a tool path type cutter in a cam package that is not fair!  I know you use Solidworks so did you cheat and use the cam package or did you model it from scratch?

I will have a model MOnday I will post.  It is really cool.  Think of modeling a Fillament in a LIght Bulb!

« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 09:43:40 PM by SDETERS »

uncoolperson

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 09:46:28 PM »
Think of modeling a Fillament in a LIght Bulb!

Florescent?