Author Topic: THEY changed the server !!!  (Read 4887 times)

daron

Re: THEY changed the server !!!
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 09:30:45 PM »
I'm sure I'm late to the party, but might I suggest only fixing what needs to be fixed, when it needs to be fixed and not try fixing everything at once. I went through that once. The one saving grace we had, was that the guy before me was smart enough to not list any xref's through path names, but used the complete path instead. Smart guy. Everyone else had problems. We got a good laugh out of it.

Big G

• Bull Frog
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 09:36:36 PM »
scuse me for this simple answer...

referencemanager and change the paths of the xref's in there?
I thought i seen the light at the end of the tunnel. But it was just someone with a torch bringing me more work.
"You have to accept that somedays youre the pigeon and  somedays youre the statue"

Dinosaur

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 10:41:10 AM »
Just a thought on this, do you have permissions to map your own additional network drives?  If so, you can map to the data using the old drive designations as long as they are not assigned to a different location on your system and even if they are you can disconnect them temporarily.  You will have two drives mapped to the same location, but it should work in a pinch.

sinc

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 11:01:40 AM »
To my understanding, they decided to change it when they updated the server because there are too many engineers and others having issues with USB keys and external drives and other things with their laptops that conflict with a servers drive letters being D: E: & F:.  So they decided to move the drive letters to the end of the alphabet so there would be no conflicts with external connections and automapping.

I've run into this problem.  It's VERY annoying, and it was very hard to figure out the first time it happened.  Unfortunately, it's part of Windows (Windows fails to notice the network drive when mounting new removable disk drives, which is what most of these devices look like to the system), so yeah, the only way to deal with it is to mount your network drives on letters further down the alphabet.  We use N: (for network) without a problem, but X: seems to be pretty common.

sinc

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 11:07:21 AM »
All would be okie-dookie if the ``projectname'' variable was set. (please look into it.)

That's not really intended as a fix for this problem.

We actually use the PROJECTNAME variable for some of our larger projects (we use it to link related Land Desktop projects together), and it's a solution that causes problems in itself.  It is stored in the registry of each machine, which makes it hard to administer.  I think the only way to do it in any coherent manner is via Windows Group Policies, but I haven't had the time to experiment with those yet.  (I'm not really an IT person, I just get drafted into the position whenever something needs to be done.)  The whole PROJECTNAME thing seems like a potentially-good idea Autodesk had at one point, then they completely dropped it after it's initial (limited) implementation.

I'd second the reference manager (which WAS designed for this problem), or maybe Tim's Lisp or the things in the link Mark mentioned.