Author Topic: AutoCAD v. Solidworks - Poll  (Read 8555 times)

Dr. After

AutoCAD v. Solidworks - Poll
« on: January 18, 2007, 03:44:51 PM »
The only reason I am bringing this up iis because our company here has decided to go with Solidworks as they want to start using more 3D.  Now from my understanding, AutoCAD 2007 offers quite a bit of 3D modeling.  Not to mention that our database is about 80% AutoCAD already.  And these two programs aren't exactly best friends when it comes to converting files.  But if you do chose Solidworks over CAD, let me know as to why.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 03:54:01 PM by Dr. After »

Lin-Z

Re: AutoCAD v. Solidworks
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 03:53:50 PM »
<removing reseller hat - Mine has tassels!>
If you're used to the AutoCAD interface then moving to a different software setup can be hard.  Have you looked into Autodesk Inventor?  It can import DWGs so you don't have to worry about not being able to use your older drawings.

Dr. After

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 03:58:30 PM »
<removing reseller hat - Mine has tassels!>
Have you looked into Autodesk Inventor?

I am not making this decision.  In fact, it was made without consulting all the drafting department.  Not sure who got sold this idea, but if it was who I think it was, it was made by someone who doesn't even know how to utalize Paper Space and hasn't tried 3D in AutoCAD since probably version 14.  Bummer really...  I kinda liked where vanilla CAD was going with 3D with this last release.  They finally added some of my requests for this version, too!  Not to mention I am already using a liceanced copy, but they would rather spend money on new program that I haven't used and didn't like 5 years ago to improve my productivity.  Now, I can keep an open mind which is why I asked as to why anyone would make this choice.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 04:33:13 PM »
< Mine has tassels!>

*waits for Greg*

Cavediver

Re: AutoCAD v. Solidworks - Poll
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 04:49:33 PM »
Well, sometimes it's a toss up.
I like SolidWorks for some things, but I generally switch to AutoCAD for the detailing and prints.
What kind of work are you doing?

SDETERS

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 04:51:29 PM »
I will pipe in with a longer message later.  Autocad is not a 3D modeling package per say.  I know yes you can model 3D in Autocad but nothing like Middle tier 3D modeling packages.  For Example Solidedge and SOlidworks.  Time to tear me up for the above message.    What are you making 3D models of?  How complicated are your parts going to get?  I like Solidworks better for translating files.  You name a 3D file solidworks can read or write to that file.  PRO-E Catia STep IGES Sat  This is what we use SOlidworks more for than anything else.  I will be back later to jot down more information.  This should be an exciting day for you.  

Birdy

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 05:11:26 PM »
Solid Works no question (vs. vanilla ACAD)
Why?  Easy to learn IMO.  The interface takes getting used to, but once you do, it's nice.
Your VAR and their training will make the difference.  If you have a lousy reseller, well...
It really does depend on what you do though.

(Good points made there, Shane.)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 05:27:48 PM »
... Not sure who got sold this idea ...

That seems to happening a more frequently the past few years. I can just imagine the sales pitch these folks are making. *sigh* ( no offense Lin-Z *grin* )
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 05:31:53 PM »
< Mine has tassels!>

*waits for Greg*

Well I HAD a clean image going for a couple of posts.

Thanks Mav.

No really.  THANK YOU!

Dr. After

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 05:46:42 PM »
What kind of work are you doing?

Electrical, mechanical, structural and misc...  We design, detail and do specialty applications for top drives in oil rigs.

SDETERS

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 05:59:29 PM »
Would you say the parts you design are very complicated? 
Solidworks has so many design tools which aid in design and assembly of all the parts.  Many wizards and easy to use help. 
Do you change your parts often? 

I was so hooked on Autocad until I started to Run our 3D modeling package.  I could probably not design in 2D now because I am so used to modeling. 

Josh Nieman

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 09:37:38 AM »
Quite a silly question to me.  I'm a user of Autodesk products alone and I'm very happy this way, but you're not talking apples to apples.

You may as well have asked "Revit or Vanilla ACAD?"  of a bunch of archie's.

To rephrase... you are basically asking "Which is better: a Portable Power Saw with 3 adjustable axis angles, adjustable backstop, and a built in board stretcher... or a crosscut hand saw"

Seriously that's what it is...

Solidworks - Parametric
Autocad - Start-over-metric

'nuff said.

Cavediver

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 12:06:37 PM »
Solidworks - Parametric
Autocad - Start-over-metric

Yeah, but sometimes that whole parametric design thing comes back to haunt you.  Sometimes it takes %50 longer to do the initial component, but you'll save way more than enough time during revisions to make that time expenditure worthwhile.  That's IF you got the design intent correct the first time.  When they come back at you with some goofy request that's way outside the original idea (ie: change this curved counter to straight, or something else that blows the whole plan), then you've wasted time.

Bob

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 06:02:45 AM »
Horses for courses.

I was really impressed with solidworks sheet metal modeller - that could really save me time - if I made things in sheet metal.

If you design things that are unique every time, I have to agree with Cavediver - you seem to have to do a lot of things upfront with Solidworks.

Maybe I should work smarter and not design from scratch each time.

Who knows....

What I do know is that when our backs were against the wall last year and many jobs were at risk, AutoCAD came through. Talk about designing on the edge.

CADaver

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 08:59:26 AM »
Autocad is not a 3D modeling package per say.  I know yes you can model 3D in Autocad ...
?? well is it or isn't it?