Author Topic: Collision Detection for Vanilla AutoCAD 2007 request  (Read 5223 times)

Josh Nieman

Collision Detection for Vanilla AutoCAD 2007 request
« on: January 13, 2007, 01:17:55 PM »
I'm currently in the process of modeling a pretty large (for me) number of structural steel shapes (Ws, WTs, Cs, Pipe, etc) and when I need to cope the ends, I'm basically SOL on shortcuts as it is... I do it all pretty long-hand... if I have 2 beams that intersect, I extrude the one to be coped long enough to hit the web of the intersecting 2nd member.  Then I copy the non-coped beam in place, then subtract the copy from the beam to be coped... repeat.. repeat... ad infinitum..

One thing I'm keeping on my mind is how to quicken this process, but more pertinent to me atm is:

Does there exist any LSP or program that will tell me if there are any collisions (multiple objects occupying the same space at any instance) and where?  That'll keep me from accidentally missing a cope, and drastically cutting down on my own checking time.

Jochen

• Newt
Re: Collision Detection for Vanilla AutoCAD 2007 request
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 05:24:05 AM »
At www.black-cad.de I show an example, how to control the motion of a 3D-manipulator jib using AutoLISP.
I some times ago did another sample to detect collision of this jib and a wall (using INTERFERE).
In case of interest plase contact me so I can send you these sample files.
Regards
Jochen

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 08:48:09 AM »
I don't know of any free apps, but www.NavisWorks.com has a program that allows you import your 3D model and you can walk around and view any collisions.  I saw a presentation about this at Yale last summer.  It's pretty sweet and looked like it was fairly simple to use.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 10:34:20 AM »
I was able to find an excellent website after continuing some more searching on the net...

http://cadclips.com/Acad2007-3D.htm

cadclips.com seems to be a pretty awesome site.  On Lesson #14 you'll find an explanation of "interference checking" and a tutorial of how to use it effectively.

I had NO freakin' clue this existed... it may be new to 2007 and I missed it?  I don't know... either way... SCHWING!!

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 10:46:04 AM »
The guy's voice in the video reminds me of the movie Fargo, eh.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 11:07:41 AM »
The guy's voice in the video reminds me of the movie Fargo, eh.

LOL I know... me and the guy sitting behind me were cracking up.  I had to turn it up a bit just to let the others' hear it.

Den you click da cylinderrr to moof eet aboot da udder one...

oh man..

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 11:29:18 AM »
I'm havin' flashbacks of da woodchipper scene, ya know?   :-D

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 12:16:44 PM »
Den you click da cylinderrr to moof eet aboot da udder one...

Whaddya mean?  That's normal.