Author Topic: Dual Monitors  (Read 31583 times)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Re: Dual Monitors
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2007, 08:16:27 AM »
Randy, insofar as I am concerned (and likely a vast number of others). If somebody promotes something it is generally held that they support it, thus any thinking person would conclude that promoting and supporting are co-dependent and as such they are not distinctly different.

I could just as easily decide I didn't like the definition of any word you used and choose another definition that changes the context of your comments, but then I think I am smart enough to understand the context in which it was meant, and it serves no useful purpose to convolute the discussion with extraneous precepts about what the meaning of "is" is.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

CADaver

« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2007, 08:42:29 AM »
Randy, insofar as I am concerned (and likely a vast number of others). If somebody promotes something it is generally held that they support it, thus any thinking person would conclude that promoting and supporting are co-dependent and as such they are not distinctly different.
Oh c'mon, Keith, you're better than that.  You know full well there is a major difference in between support and promote.  You have to get down to the sixth or seventh definition in even cheap dictionaries to find an inkling of commonality in the definitions.

I could just as easily decide I didn't like the definition of any word you used and choose another definition that changes the context of your comments,
If you would wade back through every post I've made in this thread you'll see the same defintion for support used every time.  I've asked for the data "supporting" the assertions since the very second post.

it serves no useful purpose to convolute the discussion with extraneous precepts about what the meaning of "is" is.
Exactly, we know what "is" means, just as we know what "support" means.  Attempting to covor by making it mean something else is weasling.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2007, 08:58:28 AM »
Oh c'mon, Keith, you're better than that.  You know full well there is a major difference in between support and promote.  You have to get down to the sixth or seventh definition in even cheap dictionaries to find an inkling of commonality in the definitions.

I could just as easily decide I didn't like the definition of any word you used and choose another definition that changes the context of your comments,
If you would wade back through every post I've made in this thread you'll see the same defintion for support used every time.  I've asked for the data "supporting" the assertions since the very second post.

it serves no useful purpose to convolute the discussion with extraneous precepts about what the meaning of "is" is.
Exactly, we know what "is" means, just as we know what "support" means.  Attempting to covor by making it mean something else is weasling.
Then by all means stop weasling

Roget theosaurus states that "support" is a synonym for "promote" thus since it is considered a synonym, I can use it as a direct replacement. If you choose not to accept that then your problem is with the command of the English language, not my comments.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2007, 09:33:09 AM »
Randy: "Did not"
Keith:  "Did too"

:-D
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

uncoolperson

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2007, 10:28:03 AM »

:-D

where's
"I'm telling mom!"

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2007, 10:32:10 AM »
where's
"I'm telling mom!"

She died in 2001 ... I can't very well go tell her now can I

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2007, 10:36:57 AM »
She died in 2001 ... I can't very well go tell her now can I

*crickets.wav*

CADaver

« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2007, 10:50:10 AM »
Roget theosaurus states that "support" is a synonym for "promote" thus since it is considered a synonym, I can use it as a direct replacement. If you choose not to accept that then your problem is with the command of the English language, not my comments.
Oh c'mon Keith that's beneath you.  Not sure what a theosaurus is (religious lizard??), But this thesaurus does get close to "promote" until item six with the first five upholding the meaning to which I have subscribed.  This dictionary did't get to your usage until Item seven A, with the first six upholding my usage of the word.  Do you really want to go this way Keith?  After reading the bulk of my last four thousand posts, you want to claim you didn't know what I meant by "support"?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 10:55:18 AM by CADaver »

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2007, 11:03:08 AM »
Oh c'mon Keith that's beneath you.  Not sure what a theosaurus is (religious lizard??), But this thesaurus does get close to "promote" until item six with the first five upholding the meaning to which I have subscribed.  This dictionary did't get to your usage until Item seven A, with the first six upholding my usage of the word.  Do you really want to go this way Keith?  After reading the bulk of my last four thousand posts, you want to claim you didn't know what I meant by "support"?

[whistle wav from the Good Bad & Ugly movie]  :-)
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2007, 11:32:16 AM »
Ok .. so my spelling is atrocious .. what do you want to make of it.

No, I merely checked the thesaurus for promote, and there it was ... support. Thus one could conclude they may be interchangable.
You continue to lead on this holy crusade of being 100% right 100% of the time and in this case you are absolutely wrong and you are the only one who fails to understand that.

The surveys supported my statement, they did not promote my statement, but had they promoted my statement, I could have stated they supported it. Unless their statements were a lie, and since I have no way to disprove it, the primafacia evidence is in my favor, you lose again.

This has become a discussion of semantics over what this particular word means, who said what who meant what and what you choose to believe. I personally don't care, you have changed your argument from one thing to the other .. when you can't get very far on one item you change top another, all the while claiming you never changed .. that everyone else must be wrong. You have IMHO, put the likes of some of the best politicians to shame with your incessant maneuvering around the issue.

I will cease to become a part of this discussion as it has absolutely no bearing on the original discussion of this thread.

CADaver

« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2007, 11:58:21 AM »
Ok .. so my spelling is atrocious .. what do you want to make of it.
Just poking fun, I thought religious lizard was funny, but then I have a low sense of humor.

No, I merely checked the thesaurus for promote, and there it was ... support.
That's cause when you checked "support" it no longer supported your position, so you had to run it backwards?

You continue to lead on this holy crusade of being 100% right 100% of the time
Takes two tango my friend

and in this case you are absolutely wrong and you are the only one who fails to understand that.
Sorry, you lost it when you started weasling over words.  However much you want, you can NOT claim to have been confused over my use of the word "support" and have been around these boards for as long as you have.

This has become a discussion of semantics over what this particular word means
Exactly, words mean things, and you quite well understood my use of the word "support" from the get-out, as you have several hundred times in past threads.

you have changed your argument from one thing to the other .. w
Not once.

when you can't get very far on one item you change top another, all the while claiming you never changed ..
Never once changed anything  Merely clarified your misunderstanding

I will cease to become a part of this discussion as it has absolutely no bearing on the original discussion of this thread.
bail

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2007, 12:15:54 PM »

Did you use an online thesaurus?

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2007, 01:26:08 PM »

Did you use an online thesaurus?

Roget .. do they have an online version?

anyway, according to most surveys, dual monitors improve productivity.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2007, 01:31:30 PM »
I'll bet this one doesn't.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2007, 01:36:14 PM »
Probably not Mav ... probably not .. but then it doesn't address dual monitors ... FYI I took that survey