Author Topic: Dual Monitors  (Read 30866 times)

hudster

• Gator
Dual Monitors
« on: January 12, 2007, 10:46:02 AM »
I have a very average graphics card, a gforce 6600 LE, it does the job and the company won't buy me a new one.

Now this has two video connections, one for a digital display, which I use, and one for a VGA connection.

My question is can I use this setup for dual monitors? I have a spare dell E193fp monitor and would like to connect it to my PC and increase my screen area.

Is this possible?
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

architecture68-raff

• Swamp Rat
  • Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.
Re: Dual Monitors
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 11:02:57 AM »
Should work fine.  Make sure you have the latest nvidia drivers installed...they should give you the "Nvidia Display Control Panel", which I have found the easiest way to configure dual displays with nvidia.  If your two monitors are of different resolution, make sure that you choose the option to configure each monitor's settings separately, which in effect gives to separate desktops as opposed to one spanning desktop.
Chicago, Illinois
ADT 2005, Revit Architecture 2009, Sketchup 7

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 11:05:01 AM »
  I have a Geforce 5700 at home running two monitors with no problem at all.  Dual monitors rock!  I would hate to go back to a single.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 11:26:14 AM »
According to most surveys, dual monitors improve productivity
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 12:15:12 PM »
Sure.  I don't have to minimize cad to see the Swamp.  :evil:

CADaver

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 02:01:32 PM »
According to most surveys, dual monitors improve productivity
Oh? Which?

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 02:28:56 PM »
Let me see if I can find the references for you.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 05:11:37 PM »
Here you go ...
This is by a nationally recognized firm.

Of course that is a single reference and while it may not pass the definition of "most" ... I did a quick google .. and I was overwhelmed by the results, some referenced surveys by companies involved in production of monitors or hardware, so I would personally list them as somewhat dubious, but others referenced surveys done by universities across the US and Europe, namely University of Utah and University of Lancashire (sp). anyway, there is much more information than I could possibly hope to search through. Please be my guest and provide at least one contrasting survey.

CADaver

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 10:00:46 PM »
Here you go ...
This is by a nationally recognized firm.

Of course that is a single reference and while it may not pass the definition of "most" ... I did a quick google .. and I was overwhelmed by the results, some referenced surveys by companies involved in production of monitors or hardware, so I would personally list them as somewhat dubious, but others referenced surveys done by universities across the US and Europe, namely University of Utah and University of Lancashire (sp). anyway, there is much more information than I could possibly hope to search through. Please be my guest and provide at least one contrasting survey.
Sorry Keith, NOTHING in that link states that dual monitors improve performance.  (the full piece might but I'm not gonna pony up that price to find out)  I've done a little research into dual monitors over the last couple of years and have yet to find definitive numbers that show unequivocally that performance is truly improved.  Nearly all quote that the users "feel" more productive and/or say they are more productive, but the numbers just aren't there.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 10:44:31 PM »
This is quoted from the survey summary that you erroniously asserted it said "NOTHING" when it obviously does.

Productivity estimations average to 42% improvement
The conclusion seems obvious, users will benefit from multiple displays ...

Your reponse is based on your own conjecure. Please supply at least one survey showing a contrasting point of view or concede the point.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 11:03:56 PM »
*yawn*
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 03:43:42 AM »
You double monitor guy’s are so passé. You need at least 3 to be productive  :-D

Seriously though, Everyone in my company has two monitors,
My studies have shown it’s worth the extra cost.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 03:53:48 AM by Danielm103 »

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 07:54:10 AM »
I have now set up the second monitor, man this is great, I have my palettes, properties dialogue, xref and command line on a different screen, so I have way more screen space available for CAD.

I've also set up my outlook to appear in the second monitor so I can monitor emails without having to keep minimising AutoCAD.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 08:06:44 AM »
I have now set up the second monitor, man this is great, I have my palettes, properties dialogue, xref and command line on a different screen, so I have way more screen space available for CAD.

I've also set up my outlook to appear in the second monitor so I can monitor emails without having to keep minimising AutoCAD.

Will you guys just shut up!
You killing me here.
 :-D  :-D
The second monitor has to come out of my wallet. 
And stuff keeps popping up on the home front that is preventing from me building up the cash.  :realmad:

I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Josh Nieman

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 08:26:51 AM »
I have worked on computer that had dual monitors and quite frankly, I don't see the benefit, right off the bat.

Maybe a single monitor on a computer that isn't set up properly against a dual monitor on a computer that is set up properly will show better results, but the emphasis should be seen on the setup of the computer applications.

I don't have to minimize Autocad for ANYTHING.  Why would you?  Say I did, if I wanted to check another application... so what... it's not like you can type an email AND work in Autocad if you have dual monitors... dual monitors doesn't mean you can somehow suddenly provide dual input.

There's nothing a dual monitor can provide me that I don't have available to me on a regular monitor... web watching as Maverick mentioned... not important, but I do it, so I should consider it.... so... as far as web loading, a simply alt+tab and F5 tap isn't time consuming... especially considering that just because you have two monitors, it doesn't mean you still have to switch to the browser window and hit 'refresh' (unless you have an autorefresh addon activated, which can happen to either system)

As for email... I have that window set to popup any email notifications so i can see who it's from and then I can visually ((while working in cad) address whether Outlook needs my attention or not.

What else is there that dual monitors benefit, that a single cannot?  Working space?  Putting your tool pallettes, toolbars, buttons, etc on one?  Why?  I don't use buttons, and I only 2 rows of toolbars up... one row for the layer toolbar next to the workspace toolbar for quick switching... and one that has the 'new, open, save' etc next to a few random toolbars.  Other than that everything is on tool pallettes on the left or right that AUTO Hide, leaving me with an estimate..1800x1100 pixel-area of working space, speaking conservatively.

What can a dual monitor offer me that single can't?  My only guess is that you can have an excel spreadsheet up in one monitor and read it while inputting info into cad.  I never do that, but I can see it's benefit... but when you can simply print the spreadsheet and have it sitting in front of your keyboard, or on a standing clipboard, I don't think I would have the gall to go to my boss and say "I want a brand new lcd monitor to replace this $8 clipboard"  (although I don't have that $8 clipboard... I keep whatever sheet I'm working from between the keyboard and myself, on the desk.  No probs there)

(edit) I know I sound of very strong opinion in those statements, but it just comes from long deliberation on the subject and having read quite a bit about the subject and I haven't found anything that tells me that it would be a good idea.  I'm VERY open to someone showing me specific proof.  I don't believe blanket statements of "40% improvement" because it doesn't break down WHAT improved... tell me HOW it improved or you're just bluffing, as far as I'm concerned.(/edit)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 08:28:33 AM by Josh Nieman »