Author Topic: New Blocks: Properties ByWhat?  (Read 9304 times)

M-dub

New Blocks: Properties ByWhat?
« on: December 20, 2006, 10:25:33 AM »
I'm sure an argument can be made for each option.  Let's see what you have to say.

:)

Re: New Blocks: Properties ByWhat?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 10:41:00 AM »
Primarily layer 0, but there are a few that have multiple layers defiend, depending on what/how much detail needs to show within other drawings/xrefs.

M-dub

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 10:42:31 AM »
agreed, but layer is only one of the three main properties you have to set for each block.

CADaver

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 10:42:47 AM »
it all really depends on the use of the block

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 10:50:18 AM »
agreed, but layer is only one of the three main properties you have to set for each block.
True dat, true dat... For me, it's primarily layer 0 (bylayer color / linetype) and let the layer that the block is being inserted on take care of the rest.

CADaver

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 11:04:21 AM »
True dat, true dat... For me, it's primarily layer 0 (bylayer color / linetype) and let the layer that the block is being inserted on take care of the rest.
That only works for block for which it works.  What of blocks that need a multitude of layers within them?

M-dub

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 11:05:27 AM »
That only works for block for which it works.  What of blocks that need a multitude of layers within them?

I know what you're saying...
When starting this topic, I was just thinking about the 'simplest' of blocks, though.

Arizona

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 11:26:53 AM »
Our blocks are created using a multitude of layers. Our colors and linetypes set to bylayer, since we need to show different linetypes and lineweights within one block, but do not have a need to turn off the layers that make up that block. All of our blocks are inserted on 0 layer.

So it comes back to, what are the blocks and how are they used... :-)

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 11:28:08 AM »
Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! What about..... DYNAMIC BLOCKS?  Huh? Huh??

Arizona

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 11:31:10 AM »
AutoCAD 2000i

Need I say more... :-(

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 11:34:43 AM »

daron

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 11:52:46 AM »
I was going to say what most people also said when it comes to complex blocks. As for dynamic blocks, I try to use visibility states sparingly. It seems easier to me to just have separate blocks that CAN be controlled easier with a lisp or something.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 12:13:23 PM »
I use 2 Layer for blocks
"0" - Shows objects when ploted
"Defpoints" - NonPlot objects such as service area around HVAC or illumination rings around lights tub /  shower traps

Color is usualy "BYLAYER" withthe excesption of 2 screened colors 8 9

Linetype is usually "BYLAYER" with the obvios exceptions (cabinets door swing etc)
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 12:26:31 PM »
I refuse to use Defpoints simply because of this...
I've seen this far too many times in drawings.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 12:49:25 PM »
I think that used to be a problem:

Applies to:
AutoCAD® 2005
AutoCAD® 2004

Not anymore, I just tested it on ADT06.

I also use non-plotting layers as well but not for block creation.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

sinc

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 03:19:57 PM »
Our blocks are created using a multitude of layers. Our colors and linetypes set to bylayer, since we need to show different linetypes and lineweights within one block, but do not have a need to turn off the layers that make up that block. All of our blocks are inserted on 0 layer.

Wow, that's completely backwards of the usual...

I can see how it might work, though.  One of the things that i've often wished for is the ability to set a "lineweight factor" for an object.  For example, a line inside a block could have its lineweight property set to "ByBlock", but with a Lineweight Factor of .5.  This would cause that particular line to be half as thick as the lineweight of the overall block.  It would acheive the same basic effect as what you're doing, but the blocks could be all on one layer.  Best of both worlds.

Anyone noticed that 2007 products have problems with ByBlock and Named Plot Styles?  If you use Named Plot Styles, you can't set Plot Style to be "ByBlock" - it doesn't work.  I don't think setting lineweight to "ByBlock" works either - or at least, it doesn't always work, and I haven't quite figured out why it does or doesn't work.  All of this worked fine before 2007.