Author Topic: AutoCAD Architectural Desktop  (Read 29062 times)

CB_Cal_UK

AutoCAD Architectural Desktop
« on: October 23, 2003, 07:32:40 AM »
Thought I'd take the opportunity to submit the first post in this new section of the forum (Apologies for not having anything profound to say!)

We've recently begun upgrading from 2i to 2004 and I was wondering what thoughts other people had about their transition.

Is there anything in particular about the new version which I should be jumping and down and shouting Hooray about ?

Chris

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2003, 08:11:45 AM »
If you're into mtext it seems a little better, sometimes! Also you now true color
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

t-bear

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2003, 09:12:09 AM »
They've also got file sizes down quite a bit ... I think this is due to the WAY it saves files ... but be aware, because of that, you can no longer save back to R14 or earlier.  If you deal with offices that are still using the pre-2000x stuff, this can be a headache.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2003, 09:30:23 AM »
If you need to go back to R14 then D/L the Batch dwg converter from Adesk.
Autodesk® Batch Drawing Converter converts any AutoCAD® drawing file to AutoCAD® Release 14, AutoCAD® 2000, AutoCAD® 2000i, AutoCAD® 2002, and AutoCAD® 2004 file formats. Batch Drawing Converter allows conversion of pen widths to lineweights and the addition of page setups.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2003, 09:49:54 AM »
All i care about is the buttons! Are the buttons perdier?
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

daron

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 10:45:04 AM »
Seven, the buttons are FAAAAAARRRRR perdier. Here's a menu with the layer toolbar:

and here's a tool pallette. You've seen these.

BDC can be downloaded from http://cadencoding.com/
Here's something I don't like. Ever use layer states. As far as I can tell, they're only to be had on the command line. They've been removed from the layer dialog box, at least in ADT. I think they've been replaced with screenshots. Speaking of the layer dialog box, filtering has been improved.

Now for something different, ADT! Take a look at the menu image, you'll notice that the ADT content isn't as far removed from the core of ACAD as it has been in the past. Notice there are only two menu's that are familiar to what you're used to in ADT. Many of the ADT items are in Format. The whole thing has been integrated better. ...-----...----- This just in, under help there is now documentation on ADT ActiveX Help. I assume the same is correct for other VP's. WooHooooo. I got's me some readin' to do. Manipulatin' the ADT object model, here I come.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 10:58:19 AM »
Layer filters?! Mark and i were just working on a rough idea about those. (weird!)
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

daron

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2003, 11:26:33 AM »

How's that for layer control (filtering)?

A rough idea? Do you remember when layerUnIsolate came out in express tools? One week before it came out, I wrote a layerUnIsolate command. That's weird.

Bill::Meat4Brains

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2003, 08:51:24 PM »
Daron
Hey - how come I can't get my layer manger to look like yours!!!  ak 2004  xp pro...   :(

BTW:  express tools for 2004 doesn't have a layuniso button on the express toolbar - con't figure out why - it was soooo useful.  But I think the layuniso command is still part of the 2004 express tools.  I modified and have loaded my express tools from 2002 & 2004 becuase i like the old 2002 block manager better and wanted to make sure the uniso worked.  Never did ckeck to see if it was there to begin with in 2004.  There is some other tools they took off the 2004 express menu but I have not catalogged them (flatten?).

another nice feature to 2004 that is cool is the xref alert stuff.  I have a project where two of us are working on seperate elements of the same floor plan.  as soon as craig saves, I get a little cloud telling me the xref has changed. click the cloud, pick the xref and the changes come in.  works the other way too.  Now I need to set a xref update macro under a button so rather than the cloud and several clicks later - it's a one click xref update.   you can set the timer on the cloud to stay up for 10 seconds or ??? also - rather nice if you deal with xrefs a lot.

daron

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2003, 12:50:40 AM »
I was noticing the xref thingy today too. I also like that you can make the command bar transparent and undockable. As well, you can turn off the status bar items. Makes it real clean.

daron

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2003, 12:52:37 AM »
Quote from: Bill::Meat4Brains
Daron
Hey - how come I can't get my layer manger to look like yours!!!  ak 2004  xp pro...   :(
Could be ADT. What's different about your's?

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2003, 12:29:45 PM »
Quote from: Daron
Quote from: Bill::Meat4Brains
Daron
Could be ADT. What's different about your's?

I don't have the side bar treeview in 2004.  Maybe my pathing is causing express tools to come up first...

Nope.
the only layer manager I have is part of the express tools.  It is called by "lman" - same as in ak 2002.

what command do you use to call your GQ swank "layer manager"?

daron

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2003, 12:49:05 PM »
The toolbar to the left of the layer flyout. I typed, .layer and got the pre-2004 layer manager. I typed layermanager and got my "GQ Swank" manager. You got that right, it is "swank", just because of the filters in the tree view. I was reading up on the help files and found that snapshots have replaced layer states, but are given a different extension and las files aren't interchangeable with ssl files. I didn't try changing the extension of the las file though. I also found, when I right clicked in the layermanager an invisible click and everything on my object space disappeared.

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2003, 12:59:44 PM »
Code: [Select]
Command: acadver

ACADVER = "16.0" (read only)
Command: layermanager
Unknown command "LAYERMANAGER".  Press F1 for help.

help file has nothing on "snapshots" - some stuff on "states"

several topics with "las" in them

no topics with "ssl" in them

:(

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2003, 02:18:13 PM »
Works for me on LD 2004.