Author Topic: AutoCAD 2008 features?  (Read 9962 times)

pmvliet

Re: AutoCAD 2008 features?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2007, 04:54:56 PM »

Just trying to figure out if they should upgrade to 2007 or 2008.

I wonder...
[/quote author=M-dub link=topic=13825.msg179775#msg179775 date=1170692390]

I'm not sure about upgrading or not. Usually, the even releases are the more stable and better used version.
I'm hoping 2008 has some good feautures even though I haven't heard much hype about anything...

Pieter

pmvliet

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2007, 04:57:13 PM »

I'm not sure about upgrading or not. Usually, the even releases are the more stable and better used version.
I'm hoping 2008 has some good feautures even though I haven't heard much hype about anything...

Pieter

sinc

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2007, 08:05:19 AM »

The fact that you haven't been hearing anything might be good news.  If Autodesk is concentrating on fixing the TONS and TONS of bugs in their products in the upcoming release, that's fine with me (except for Civil-3D, of course, which still needs lots of work in many respects, not just bug fixes).

M-dub

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2007, 08:15:00 AM »

Pieter

My dilema is that if AutoCAD 2004 retires on March 15th and the 'tentative' (for lack of a better word) release date is also March 15th, what happens to us in regards to pricing?

Ah well, I'm not at that site right now and have bigger fish to fry at the moment.  I've given as much info to them as I could, now it's up to their 'people' to get quotes for what they want.

CADaver

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2007, 08:11:35 AM »
My dilema is that if AutoCAD 2004 retires on March 15th and the 'tentative' (for lack of a better word) release date is also March 15th, what happens to us in regards to pricing?
For my personal version, I only upgrade when I have to, but that doesn't mean I'll install the upgrade.  Very often it'll sit for quite some time.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2007, 09:01:02 AM »
I'm actually voting opposed to Randy's notion.

I usually keep the previous version on the computer as a safety net.

But I do install the new version as soon as I get the box, and a spare minute to install it.

I want to see how some new features effect certain processes, see if there's any trouble using any customizations with the new release, to take care of that before the proverbial turd hits the fan, and well... to play :-p

Plus, I'm the CAD go to guy here... I want to be able to advise and answer to any situation that comes up.  I don't want to settle for reading the release notes... aside from not having the attention span for it.

Dinosaur

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2007, 09:15:13 AM »

But I do install the new version as soon as I get the box, and a spare minute to install it.

I want to see how some new features effect certain processes, see if there's any trouble using any customizations with the new release, to take care of that before the proverbial turd hits the fan, and well... to play :-p

Plus, I'm the CAD go to guy here... I want to be able to advise and answer to any situation that comes up.  I don't want to settle for reading the release notes... aside from not having the attention span for it.
Civil 3D (and even the last 2 LDT releses) will break you of that.  I may set up a virtual machine to poke around with, but don't dare risk a production seat without a   l o n g  evaluation.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2007, 09:19:57 AM »

Civil 3D (and even the last 2 LDT releses) will break you of that.  I may set up a virtual machine to poke around with, but don't dare risk a production seat without a   l o n g  evaluation.

With Civil 3D you can't use the prior release on the same machine, even with standalone installations?  Or does it rewrite too many settings that can't be reverted without repair-installing the old version?

I am lucky to be using vanilla in many tech-regards.

CADaver

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2007, 09:30:40 AM »

I have the advantage of usually beta testing the latest, and the installations at the office to cover those aspects.

Dinosaur

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2007, 09:32:16 AM »
'07 worked better on top of '06 than '05 did with '05.  '06 efffectively trashed any '05 assemblies and forced everything to '06.  That would have been OK, but '06 was a waste of disk space until SP2 was available.  Hence I no longer trust any new version to not hose my current projects until I can evaluate them thoroughly.

sinc

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2007, 04:11:57 PM »
'07 worked better on top of '06 than '05 did with '05.  '06 efffectively trashed any '05 assemblies and forced everything to '06.  That would have been OK, but '06 was a waste of disk space until SP2 was available.  Hence I no longer trust any new version to not hose my current projects until I can evaluate them thoroughly.

I ran into a similar issue with Land Desktop 2007.  Installing 2007 breaks access to the Aecc Application object in 2006, which means none of my custom LDD/CDC extensions would no longer work in 2006.  Initially, 2007 seemed more-stable than 2006, mainly because of improvements to the CUI, so we decided to just try jumping to 2007.  By the time we discovered this was a mistake, we had too many files converted to 2007 format, and going back to 2006 was no longer feasible.  So we had to just suffer until SP1 came out.

It's made us very leary of installing ANY new Autodesk software, at least not until they release a service pack.  And as the ill-fated Civil-3D 2007 SP1 and Land Desktop 2007 SP2 illustrated, it's better to wait for a while before installing the service packs, too.

CottageCGirl

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2007, 09:20:49 AM »
I am on 2005 , so this question is for 2006 and up, is it possible yet to create your own block flyouts w/in paletts?  I have a huge block library and would love to group them w/in a flyout...ie we have a certain sofa 20-7883 but with that are multiple items numbers covering loveseats etc w/in the same family of product and for me to make a separtate tab for each is waaaay to much.

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2007, 10:54:17 AM »
I am on 2005 , so this question is for 2006 and up, is it possible yet to create your own block flyouts w/in paletts?  I have a huge block library and would love to group them w/in a flyout...ie we have a certain sofa 20-7883 but with that are multiple items numbers covering loveseats etc w/in the same family of product and for me to make a separtate tab for each is waaaay to much.

Dynamic blocks with visiblity states would be the way I'd go, and have it all loaded from a tool palette.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

sinc

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2007, 12:53:50 PM »

Yep, it sounds like you might be able to use Dynamic Blocks to dramatically reduce the number of blocks in your library.

But still, I agree that Autocad sorely needs a way to group Block and Command tools into flyouts in Tool Palettes.  And no, it doesn't exist as of 2007 - I don't know about 2008.  The Dimension Tools can be placed in a flyout, but not the Block and Command tools.

Tom

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2007, 09:25:01 PM »