Author Topic: A Country boy's trip to the Big City  (Read 2584 times)

jpostlewait

A Country boy's trip to the Big City
« on: November 30, 2006, 11:11:19 PM »
AU
Many things to say.
Not all of them good, but overall a very interesting trip.
Passed on this evenings festivities as I seemed to have reached my limit on evening festivities.
Cursed Calender. That thing just never stops.
Some interesting classes. Some not so much.
If you sign up early it was 1500 bucks including 4 nights at the Venetian Hotel.
Doesn't really cost much else as most of the meals are provided along with some evening receptions.
Some amazing exhibitors.
Cadapps out of Australia has some incredible software that works on top of Civil 3d.
Watched them design 3 intersections in 5 minutes and they really were intersections, curb return profiles and all. Still dynamic.
The Dude that writes that stuff is a frickin genius.
Did here that data shortcuts were back in to stay.
So the requirement for Vaults was going to be optional for the foreseeable future.
Biggest drawback in my opinion was the number of people attending. 7500 in the same convention space. While the facilities could accommodate, there were the sardine moments.

Highly recommended event.

sinc

Re: A Country boy's trip to the Big City
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 08:35:57 AM »
So the requirement for Vaults was going to be optional for the foreseeable future.

That's good news.  Does that mean they might add at least basic PM features to C3D?

My biggest worry lately has been that some of our more-junior guys will forget to switch Survey databases when they change projects, screwing everything up...  I hate the fact that Autodesk made that a strong possibility by designing C3D the way they did.

jpostlewait

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 08:12:50 PM »

That's good news.  Does that mean they might add at least basic PM features to C3D?

My biggest worry lately has been that some of our more-junior guys will forget to switch Survey databases when they change projects, screwing everything up...  I hate the fact that Autodesk made that a strong possibility by designing C3D the way they did.

Really hard to write software that can overcome enduser abuse.
Same thing as LDT if you aren't attached to the proper project things get jacked up.
You put 8K software in front of a 2-bit idiot you get 2-bits.
Just how it works.
Train them up.
And yes people make mistakes.

Dinosaur

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 11:23:10 PM »
Perhaps we can talk them into throwing the big dance in Kansas City some year, John.  That may be the ONLY chance I will get at attending.  Even that would not be close to a sure thing since I couldn't even make the augi event here last year when I drove within eyesight of it each way on my commute.  I have the downloads from the 2004 event but they were all based on the 2005 version and there has been much maturing since then.

sinc

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 07:29:31 PM »
Really hard to write software that can overcome enduser abuse.
Same thing as LDT if you aren't attached to the proper project things get jacked up.
You put 8K software in front of a 2-bit idiot you get 2-bits.
Just how it works.
Train them up.
And yes people make mistakes.

...but LDT automatically switches projects when you open a drawing.  The software can't do everything, but it can do some things...