Author Topic: LSP vs VLX ...  (Read 7521 times)

Hangman

• Swamp Rat
LSP vs VLX ...
« on: November 06, 2006, 03:26:37 PM »
Hey all, quick question fer ya all.

So I received a simple bubble cut program from a client, bubl.lsp.  Interesting to me though, when I opened it in a Notepad, it was scrambled.  Obviously compiled.
When I compile my programs, they turn out VLX.  This program from our client was an LSP.
So first question; What is it that compiles a written code to LSP but is unalterable ??  Or could the client have mearly compiled their code to VLX then renamed it to LSP ??
Second question; What is the difference between VLX and LSP and, which is considered a better format ??  Does autocad read VLX better, or is LSP a native language to autocad, why the different extensions ??

Thank you in advance for you intuitive input and most helpful advice, you guys are great.
Hangman  8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Drafting Board, Mechanical Arm, KOH-I-NOOR 0.7mm

pmvliet

Re: LSP vs VLX ...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 05:53:42 PM »

When I compile my programs, they turn out VLX.  This program from our client was an LSP.

Second question; What is the difference between VLX and LSP and, which is considered a better format ??  Does autocad read VLX better, or is LSP a native language to autocad, why the different extensions ??

Thank you in advance for you intuitive input and most helpful advice, you guys are great.

From what I understand, *.VLX is just a compiled lisp routine as you stated. This makes your routines neat and tidy as any support DCL, additional lsp files etc, are all compiled into the one *.VLX file.
Meaning, the one file, now does everything that the 3 or 4 files did. You don't need to worry about sending all the support files etc. I don't believe you have the ability to edit the *.VLX file.
Sounds like the person just renamed it, maybe for simplicity. He might have been asked too many times, "what is this *.VLX file..."

I believe there are also programs out there that will also encode a standard *.LSP file.
This could be what he has done as another option??

I'm sure somone else will have a better explanation.

Pieter

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 06:17:23 PM »
If the file is still a LSP file chances are it has been passed through a routine called PROTECT which has been used for several years to encrypt the contents based on a user defined encryption key ... which different to compiling to VLX.

Does it look like this ...
AutoCAD PROTECTED LISP file
FnŠXÿ±J´I²^œo·Né²

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 07:54:40 PM »
^^ I remember that thing; Didnt it put the lisp on one line and ``protect'' it as well (or was that a feature of the ``unprotect'' thingie?)

BTW, i thought it was called `Kryptonite-a-tor'...or `Kelvinator' ...or soemthing like that.

*Se7en walks away yelling ``Togdor!''*
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Hangman

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 12:10:41 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for your comments.

Kerry asked:
Does it look like this ...

AutoCAD PROTECTED LISP file
FnŠXÿ±J´I²^œo·Né²

Yes Kerry, that is exactly what it looks like.

So basically, there is no real advantage to a compiled VLX vs LSP other than VLX combines several programs into the one where the other is just a simple compile of a single lisp into LSP.

Thanks guys.
Hangman  8)

Drafting Board, Mechanical Arm, KOH-I-NOOR 0.7mm

paulmcz

• Bull Frog
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 01:27:12 PM »
Take a look at this site:

http://www.cushat.co.uk/pl/

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 02:48:13 PM »
Most Kelvinized lisp files can be decrypted with [ file removed to protect theswamp ]this[ ] tool. (Not guaranteed)

**edit by MST**

-- Crank
I removed the linked file from the lilly pond, just to be on the safe side. I can't afford any type of lawsuit. :-)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 03:08:27 PM by Mark Thomas »
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 03:04:39 PM »
Make sure you have the permission of the person/company who wrote the code before you decrypt it and modify it.

As a general rule I, or theswamp.org, do not encourage the use of lsp decrypting software. If you want to look at it contact the author.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 03:44:22 PM »
.................  So basically, there is no real advantage to a compiled VLX vs LSP other than VLX combines several programs into the one where the other is just a simple compile of a single lisp into LSP.

That's not quite correct. The VLX also has the advantages that it protects the integrity of the code from accidental < or otherwise > change.  In most cases the resulting program will load faster than a conventional Lisp program. The Compile is compatible across ACAD versions.  The original Vital Lisp from Basis Software could compile Lisp source into ARX but that functionality is long gone.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 03:53:02 PM »
Most Kelvinized lisp files can be decrypted with [ file removed to protect theswamp ]this[ ] tool. (Not guaranteed)

**edit by MST**

-- Crank
I removed the linked file from the lilly pond, just to be on the safe side. I can't afford any type of lawsuit. :-)

I can live with that. For who's interested: It's also available on several sites.
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

pmvliet

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 05:03:49 PM »
The Compile is compatible across ACAD versions.

Kerry is correct with the exception that this might not be true if something in the original lisp is not compatable with a newer version or different release. for example, something that contains a reference to  DOSLIB. or something like that where the application is specific for a certain release. Then it won't work.

I can't remember if DOSLIB is downward compatible or not... In looking at their site, 2000 thru 2006 use one version and 2007 uses another.

Just something to keep in mind.

Pieter