Author Topic: Improving the Standard of Work  (Read 16185 times)

LE

Re: Improving the Standard of Work
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2006, 05:55:25 PM »
My comment was in GENERAL and I pointed specific about the menus, because that's what most of the posts are referring according to me, nothing else and in no way to take it personal  :-)

I had worked twice as a CM doing HALF-programming - HALF-production - HALF-project manager stuff and that's why I end up quitting... and work now as a Janitor if this can be call a job... but what can I do....  :laugh:

Maybe for me the description of a CM it is focus into make sure an office could be efficient - from knowing how to use the cad software out-of-the-box thru personalization (via customization - in any programming language)... among many others that could be addressed after this one...

Have fun.

Didge

• Bull Frog
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2006, 11:49:17 AM »
I do not (comprende) understand... how someone can have a CM title and does not know how to do powerful customizations - menus are pretty straight forward - like doing scripts.
But it must be just me.

I'm sure it's not just you, I suspect it's a cultural thing.

Here in the UK very few CAD managers I've met can customize, even less can automate with coding. As mentioned earlier in this thread, most CM's find themselves in this role because they'd been with the company the longest. Its also very surprising how few CM's have any formal training in their subject, even though we've had national qualifications for over 25 years now. The vast majority of British CM's will occupy the bulk of their time devising (& defending) their 150+ page standards detailing Layer names, linetypes, text sizes etc but will never give real time-saving measures a second thought. 
(Obviously we all know that Layer "BX-01234-GHY-87-L" should be reserved for underground pipes dont we") ;-)

With the ever present need to lower staff costs, British companies are increasingly looking for very cheap over-seas draughting services (£3/hr) instead of investing in practical efficiency saving measures. Some simple automation in my current place of work has reduced draughting time for certain drawings from 3 days down to 30 minutes, multiplied by over 30 staff this amounts to some pretty impressive numbers.

I suppose the most efficient business model would be to combine cheap over-seas labour with a high degree of automation - I hope that moment arrives sometime after I've retired but I suspect it'll be happening a lot sooner than we expect.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 11:52:00 AM by Didge »
Think Slow......

LE

« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2006, 11:58:28 AM »
(Obviously we all know that Layer "BX-01234-GHY-87-L" should be reserved for underground pipes dont we") ;-)

YES ! it is pretty obvious - it can't be any better way to make the naming convention explanatory like this one - thank you for sharing it.  :laugh:

CADaver

« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2006, 12:41:10 PM »
Currently I support about 75 users.
Try over three hundred.
75 autocad users in Florida and another 75 microstation users in Raleigh.
Then I support our field people on the doc. mgt. system so add another 100 in each location. Then let's add another 10 outside contracting companies...
That is three hundred AutoCAD users... in this office... but I'm not going to talk about MSTA seats or PDS or FrameWorksPlus or TEKLA or Plant4D, or SmartPlant, or the field personnel, or anything else.  I've seen the kinds of prizes Greg has, and thanks, but no thanks, the wounds are healing nicely and the surgeon says the scarring will be minimal.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2006, 01:08:06 PM »
scarring will be minimal.

dang...I didn't irritate it enough.

Arizona

« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2006, 01:26:07 PM »
That is three hundred AutoCAD users... in this office... but I'm not going to talk about MSTA seats or PDS or FrameWorksPlus or TEKLA or Plant4D, or SmartPlant, or the field personnel, or anything else.  I've seen the kinds of prizes Greg has, and thanks, but no thanks, the wounds are healing nicely and the surgeon says the scarring will be minimal.
Sounds like you have the kind of days I have... a little crazy...a little hectic and always waiting for that next phone call :-)

I'll pass on Greg's prizes as well... You just never know :-)