Author Topic: Improving the Standard of Work  (Read 16373 times)

CADaver

Re: Improving the Standard of Work
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2006, 08:18:57 AM »
I see your point, and thoroughly agree with it. I annoys me that they say they want good quality drawings to be sent out, but theres no money set aside to do it, and the contracts are cut so close to the profit line, so theres no money in the budget to invest in things that WILL save us time and money in the future. I will sit down in a short while and get that email that Pieter advised, written to the boss
Never enough time to do it right, but plenty of time to re-invent the wheel every time you need one.  Be specific with the email.  List areas that will be easy to fix that will show some improvement in productivity fast.

BREZI

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2006, 09:27:13 AM »
Get your CAD Manual button'ed up, idiot proof. and issue to all. then do a workshop presentation, highlighting the main points, in big bold bad ass fonts!

I had to go round all of our offices doing this, but it seemed to work.

Also getting stuff on menus is great, the tool pallettes are dead easy to customize as well. our symbols & layers etc are now just drag and drop.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2006, 09:48:19 AM »
and also a way of making it difficult to NOT draw to standards

It goes back to having authority but.......

not working there would make it difficult to draw without using standards.   :-D

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2006, 01:33:56 PM »
I see your point, and thoroughly agree with it. I annoys me that they say they want good quality drawings to be sent out, but theres no money set aside to do it, and the contracts are cut so close to the profit line, so theres no money in the budget to invest in things that WILL save us time and money in the future. I will sit down in a short while and get that email that Pieter advised, written to the boss
<Preaching to the choir here, I know, but it needs saying.>

Good customization will save time for everyone and will save money.

Think of customization as a template drawing (poor example) or a Tool Jig (better example).  A tool jig takes time & money to build and set up.  However, once set up that jig will help create quality and speed up production.  That layer customization you want to do; is no different.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

pmvliet

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2006, 04:54:02 PM »
Our local office menu is slowly growing, but I guess I need to get a pgp file locked onto all machines, and also a way of making it difficult to NOT draw to standards

Just my 2 cents on locking down a pgp file. Don't do it! For many, especially long time users, the PGP file is like a pair of underwear. They have used it for years(not the same pair) and they don't want to change. The pgp file really, shouldn't have any control with adherance to standards. pgp files are just quick key commands for normal commands. Also, this will cause much rebellion by the users.  :pissed:

A lady I worked with had "B" as rectang. If I forced her to use "REC" or even "R", she would have a fit!
Plus, it will slow her down to adhere to a company pgp file.

You can set up the template with the /t command line switch with the Autocad icon. Providing that everyone starts AutoCAD with the icon and not double-clicking a drawing. For this to work, all users need to launch off of the same icon. With IT's help, you can put a menu in the start menu that points to the server and then have the Autocad icon there. Which means you need to remove all the AutoCAD icons from the local machines. In my template, I would put in big letters the client name or the client logo. So, the users saw it right in their face. If they didn't see the correct client, they knew they were in the wrong client (we used Profiles for the different clients).

Start with the "most bang for the buck" and the things that are easy and cost very little do to.

Pieter

Arizona

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2006, 05:39:27 PM »
I agree with Pieter about the pgp file. Let the users use there own, they are more productive that way and a line is a line, no matter what you use to call the line command. The good thing about autocad is that there are many ways to achieve the same thing...  :-)
The other thing to consider is files that are shared by all users, standard (templates, blocks, etc...). Put them on a network somewhere and control the order of the search paths on each users computer. Build and use profiles as an easy and consistent way to deploy the same information to each computer. Therefore when something needs correcting/updating you correct it in one location and everyone gets it at relatively the same time. However plan your directory structure in advance (with rhyme and reason...) if possible with future growth in mind. Once you have your directory structure and files in place, restrict the permissions on who has access to this area from a "write" perspective.
Training goes a long way in providing the person the ability to make knowledgable choices about the way they draft. If your users understand the system and understand the way they do work, they will start asking "Can you write a program to do this repetitious task?"
Some users will draft sloppily out of ignorance (these people are trainable) and some will do sloppy work out of pure laziness (run as far and as fast as you can away from these, they are usually the brown nosers). Know the difference... and don't waste your time.
Of course above all, be a change agent... People don't want to change anything unless they a) Know how it will effect them and b) What's in it for them.
Let them know upfront how these changes will help them with their work processes. Happy trained users make the life of a support person so much better because then you actually have time to write some programs, maybe? :-)

pmvliet

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2006, 08:18:24 PM »

The other thing to consider is files that are shared by all users, standard (templates, blocks, etc...). Put them on a network somewhere and control the order of the search paths on each users computer. Build and use profiles as an easy and consistent way to deploy the same information to each computer. Therefore when something needs correcting/updating you correct it in one location and everyone gets it at relatively the same time. However plan your directory structure in advance (with rhyme and reason...) if possible with future growth in mind. Once you have your directory structure and files in place, restrict the permissions on who has access to this area from a "write" perspective.

Now Arizona, did you by chance get a copy of my handout for AU??  :evil:
Maybe you should teach my class as you did a pretty good summary of it  :lol:

CADaver

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2006, 09:14:34 PM »
and also a way of making it difficult to NOT draw to standards

It goes back to having authority but.......
I don't think so.  When I first got here I had no authority except what I took, but what I did was provide a couple of routines and a custom menu that meant the user never had to think about annotation layers again.  It was a lot easier to use the tools (and thereby comply with standards) than it was to do it all "long-hand".  I didn't have to "make" anyone use it, in fact i only showed it to two guys and within the month they were all using it... and complying with annotation standards without knowing it.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2006, 05:00:38 AM »
Pieter, the reason I'd thought of locking down a pgp...

We draw many road schemes, and the road markings we use in the UK, I have created a little routine on the menu, which loads the linetype, sets the width and draws the pline to the correct standards.... I have come across users who know HOW to use the menu version, but wont cos its quicker for them to use the more familiar PL...

What would be better than "just the menu" for encouraging the users to actually use the routines?
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Arizona

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2006, 06:14:40 AM »
Now Arizona, did you by chance get a copy of my handout for AU??  :evil:
Maybe you should teach my class as you did a pretty good summary of it  :lol:
Heh... No this is the way we handle it.
Currently I support about 75 users. If I had to run around making changes to individual machines I woulds go nuts!
Smart users = Less support calls
Smart setup = Less system glitches

Arizona

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2006, 06:22:57 AM »
What would be better than "just the menu" for encouraging the users to actually use the routines?
This is where training comes in. First they need to understand the importance of consistent data. The more consistent the data the more things that can be automated. Second, you need to "sell" this method of working by pointing out the efficiencies that can be gained. You need their buy-in! In reality they become your customers. :-)
And if all that fails... try the whip, the brute force method is occasionally successful. :evil:

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2006, 08:12:34 AM »
Second, you need to "sell" this method of working by pointing out the efficiencies that can be gained. You need their buy-in! In reality they become your customers. :-)
And if all that fails... try the whip, the brute force method is occasionally successful. :evil:

Az has me thinkin, (from my novice standpoint).  Working in the bullpit does have one advantage. Witnessing the really strange things some people do to a drawing, and trying to find a fix.  Perhaps if the kids where to work on another's dwg the standards would come to light.  Maybe (?)

That and brute force  :-)
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

Didge

• Bull Frog
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2006, 10:14:02 AM »
Jonesy, a very interesting thread.

I had to laugh at your "book the hours to the project" quote - I've been cadding in the UK for many years and if I had a quid for each time I'd been told that then I'd be playing golf with Bill Gates now. Sadly, these days managers seem driven purely by short-term financial gain (at least here in the UK anyway), its not necessarily their fault, just a reflection of the pressures they're under from the clueless finance suits that really run things.

I would suggest automation is the way to go, concentrating on those functions that offer the greatest time savings and greatest ease of use. Anything that makes the user's life easier will generally be readily accepted.

More importantly I would suggest that you log each use of the automation, a small snippet of code can achieve this transparently without anyone knowing. (give me a shout if you need an example)

After a month or two these logs will provide you with an invaluable tool to demonstrate actual time/money savings to your management. You'll be surprised how accomodating they can be after being confronted with coloured graphs showing big savings. 

As a final note I would also suggest that you play-down the role of "CAD Manager" and big-up your role as a "CAD Systems Developer" because  management are often under the impression that any cad operator can be a cad manager, lets face it very few CAD managers can automate, so make the most of your skills.

Good Luck.

Think Slow......

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2006, 10:48:58 AM »
I have created a little routine on the menu, which loads the linetype, sets the width and draws the pline to the correct standards
you can also make this into a command with lisp. You use a long explanatory name and tell your users it is available then they can make whatever shortcut they want for it. Some people prefer the typed commands to menus.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2006, 10:51:47 AM »
Jonesy, a very interesting thread.

I would suggest automation is the way to go, concentrating on those functions that offer the greatest time savings and greatest ease of use. Anything that makes the user's life easier will generally be readily accepted.

More importantly I would suggest that you log each use of the automation, a small snippet of code can achieve this transparently without anyone knowing. (give me a shout if you need an example)

After a month or two these logs will provide you with an invaluable tool to demonstrate actual time/money savings to your management. You'll be surprised how accomodating they can be after being confronted with coloured graphs showing big savings. 

Good Luck.

I second that.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC