Author Topic: New Puter  (Read 6776 times)

Fish

Re: New Puter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 09:55:10 AM »
Thanks everyone, this is exactly what I was looking for. 8-)  I'm kind of limited as to what my options are, I'm suppose to buy a pre-fabed workstation from a specific seller :-(, but this will give me more to work on.  Thanks I'll keep you posted.

Fish

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2006, 11:03:11 AM »
Did some more searching on the hard drive system, the RAID 0 seems the way to go, unfortunately its blowing a hole in my budget.  There also is the new Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) drives they claim is faster than our standard Serial ATA.

Here's a link with a little info.
http://www.seagate.com/products/interface/sas

I guess there is a possibility of scaling down the processor speed and going with higher end RAID. :|

I've upgraded my specs to be:

2.4GHz Core 2 Duo :-)
nVidia Quadro FX 1500
2GB DDR II SDRAM
160GB Serial ATA-150 7200 rpm

If only money grew on trees.............. :roll:

Birdy

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006, 12:12:00 PM »
Are these machines on a company network?
If so, is RAID really needed?  (just some thoughts)
I might set up a RAID system for a stand alone box, but have the server RAID configured for a networked setup.

Fish

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2006, 12:24:10 PM »
Our company has different offices scattered here and there and we share a common server, however, I will be saving drawings here on this end and then transferring it to the common server, its way toooooooooo slow to work off the companies common server, its a problem and they are working to resolve it.  As far as to what direction they're going to go with the common server, I'm not sure what they're planning.

SDETERS

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2006, 02:11:06 PM »
Would someone please clarify or point me in the correct direction.

What is a 32 bit processor and what is considered a 64 bit processor?

Thanks

Fish

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2006, 02:59:22 PM »
Shane, check here  http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Computer_Science/2004/64_bit.asp
& http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,112749-page,1/article.html

From what I gather the 32 bit v. the 64 bit starts with the operating system.  As the articles say you will need a 64 bit processor, such as the athlon 64 to take full advantage of the architecture of the 64 bit operating system.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong but a 32 bit processor will still work with a 64 bit operating system.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2006, 03:09:03 PM »
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

Fish

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2006, 03:15:37 PM »
Hey CAB I can't get your link to work. :-(

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2006, 03:28:26 PM »
Works here   :?
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

Fish

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2006, 03:33:06 PM »
working now :ugly:

sinc

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2006, 06:20:15 PM »
From what I gather the 32 bit v. the 64 bit starts with the operating system.  As the articles say you will need a 64 bit processor, such as the athlon 64 to take full advantage of the architecture of the 64 bit operating system.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong but a 32 bit processor will still work with a 64 bit operating system.

While technically true, I wouldn't want to try to run 64-bit Windows on a 32-bit system.  It would be a performance nightmare.  At this point in time, I wouldn't even buy 32-bit hardware - it's obsolescent.

And DO NOT go with 64-bit Windows if Autocad is important to you (at least as of right now).  Everyone I've heard who's tried that has had problems.  That should change in the next year or two, though, with Vista about to come out.  Given Autodesk's track record, though, I would be very leary of jumping to Vista until you know someone else who has successfully managed it...

And if money is tight, GO WITH CPU, not a RAID.
  The best CPU you can get is the most important thing.  Still, try to get a fast hard drive.  SCSI tends to be fastest, but also most-expensive.  Keep in mind that a single WD Raptor will work great, and is not too much.

There's also the new vertical-write drives, but I haven't heard much about them yet, so I don't really know the full scoop on them...  Since they cram more bits into the same amount of space, though, they are supposed to get performance similar to a 10K Raptor, even though they only operate at 72000RPM

Fish

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2006, 09:39:06 AM »
Good info. Sinc.  The last puter I spec'd had 73 gb, Serial Attached SCSI, 15000 rpm spindle speed.  In talking with our IT guy our server already has the RAID system so puting that on my puter wouldn't be wise, increase rpm they say.

Dinosaur

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2006, 11:00:44 PM »
One of the local builders around here has noticed a durability problem developing with the Raptors he has been installing - mostly in cases that are at or near their device capacity.  We have been trying the new vertical or perpendicular write drives that sinc mentioned and find they are performing at the same level as the Raptors or above.

sinc

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2006, 10:51:27 PM »
One of the local builders around here has noticed a durability problem developing with the Raptors he has been installing - mostly in cases that are at or near their device capacity.  We have been trying the new vertical or perpendicular write drives that sinc mentioned and find they are performing at the same level as the Raptors or above.

Does he use harddrive coolers?  From what I've heard, Raptors run hotter than standard drives, which may cause problems, especially if the computer case is packed full of stuff.  I've heard a number of reports that putting a little $10 fan on each Raptor fixes that problem.

Dinosaur

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2006, 11:35:46 PM »
Not sure about the fans; I'll try to find out.  This guy set up about 100 boxes with them and just noticed the trend and passed the tip on.  We haven't had any problems with the Raptors but then our cases have room to spare and good ventilation besides.  We just happened onto a deal for the new drives and decided to test them - I think only 1 has been put in service yet, but it seems to perform at least as well as the Raptor.  I am one more trashed Civil 3D installation from having some hands-on reports about them - one was by my keyboard during the last install, waiting for any signs of trouble.