Author Topic: Volo View DLL (avviewx.dll)  (Read 4528 times)

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
Volo View DLL (avviewx.dll)
« on: October 31, 2006, 12:15:54 PM »
Just found this today. That is cool.

Downside:

Not supporting 2004 and up file formats WTF.  anyway is there a replacement control with pan zoom, etc.?

I already have the dwgthumbnail.ocx (that is what I am using right now)

Thanks
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

Re: Volo View DLL (avviewx.dll)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 12:24:43 PM »
One word comes to mind: obsolete.

Take a look at DWG TrueView.  It's essentially a stripped-down version of AutoCAD (and you don't need ACAD installed to use it).  It's a pretty hefty download (just under 200MB I believe) but it will allow you to pan and zoom in a drawing, print/plot it but you CAN'T SAVE it!!

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 12:27:47 PM »
Does it have a control that I can add to my project that will take the place of the DwgThumbnail control or is it just a viewer.  I am looking for a control that has those features.

Thxs
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 12:37:13 PM »
It's essentially AutoCAD without a save feature.  I don't know if it has an OCX that you can add to a project; I haven't looked into that.

mmelone

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 01:13:17 PM »
The reason that VoloView will not work with the newer ACAD files is that Autodesk now encrypts all of it's files.  What used to be as easy as reading the fileheader of the DWG, and determinig what to draw and where is now not that simple.  Now, you need to decrypt the file first, then you can extract what you need from the file to do the drawing.  Autodesk has gone through and said that this encryption was a compression function.  But, from what I heard, this is a lie.  Regardless, because of the DMCA, it is questionable if it is legal to reverse-engineer the file structure.  So I doubt that VoloView or anyone else out there will put out an OCX.

mmelone

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 01:16:12 PM »
If you are interested, I think I have an old tutorial on how to extract the thumbnail bitmap from the DWG and display it yourself using VB(A).  Of course, this will only work for the nonencrypted versions of DWG.  It basically tells how to read the file header, and based on that information, jump to a section in the file and pull the bitmap info from it.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 03:42:02 PM »
You can still extract the bitmap preview of a 2004+ drawing without too much problem. The issue with that is the bitmap is a poor representation of the drawing, particularly when zooming into the bitmap.

VoloView is/was a product of Autodesk and was discontinued with the 2004 release of AutoCAD. There is a drawing viewer from Autodesk (express viewer). I am not sure if there is any ocx tools you could use or not. There are a few out there available for a price, but I suspect you are wanting something for free. If you find a free, and freely distributable ocx, please let me know as I would like to deploy some apps that have a much better view than the bitmap.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 07:29:35 AM »
If I find something I will post it here.

I am currently using the dwgthumb.ocx, it works for what I need it for.  I do like to pan zomm functionality.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro