Author Topic: [Community Project Idea] Document Management Framework  (Read 12708 times)

TR

Re: [Community Project Idea] Document Management Framework
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2006, 04:38:24 PM »
For anyone interested I just threw together a little diagram of what the layout of the system might look like. It's a little tough to follow but it gives a general idea of what I had in mind.

View it at:
http://www.theswamp.org/screens/tjr/DocumentManagementFramework.png

Writeup to follow on Monday.

TR

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2006, 01:08:40 PM »
I realize I had promised to post a specification for this project several weeks back and have failed to deliver. Perhaps I was getting in a little over my head with this whole idea as it will end up being more work than I think I'm willing to take on at this point in time. Over the past several weeks my head has been wrapped around web.py and several javascript libraries trying to get a better understanding and also banging out some code on a couple of web site ideas I have. While working on these and my day job I just don't see how I could focus on a project like this.

To those that were truly interested I apologize for not pulling through.

Michael, I think I owe you a beer. :)

Troy Williams

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2006, 08:58:39 AM »
I realize I had promised to post a specification for this project several weeks back and have failed to deliver. Perhaps I was getting in a little over my head with this whole idea as it will end up being more work than I think I'm willing to take on at this point in time. Over the past several weeks my head has been wrapped around web.py and several javascript libraries trying to get a better understanding and also banging out some code on a couple of web site ideas I have. While working on these and my day job I just don't see how I could focus on a project like this.

To those that were truly interested I apologize for not pulling through.

Michael, I think I owe you a beer. :)

Don't worry to much about that Tim. I do that all the time  :wink:

What I have found to work for me is to figure out what I want to do and then break it up into much smaller pieces. For example I want to build a simple, flexible image management system that even my parents would want to use (notice I say want and not can). That is a big job and conceptually I have a lot of questions to clear up. For example, it will have a sqlite backend as well as a flexible tagging system. So what I am doing is creating a code vault that will have these features except that it is much smaller and easier for one person to manage. This program will be useful to other people (how many, I can't say  :wink:) which helps to keep the motivation levels up. The key when you are building these smaller programs is to keep in mind the big picture and make sure that you can reuse as much as possible.

When My Code Vault is completed, I will have some of the key concepts for an image management system in place. As well as a fully functional program that is useful, not just a toy.

Cheers and good luck with your endeavors.