Author Topic: Blocks in 3D  (Read 3800 times)

Fish

Blocks in 3D
« on: October 17, 2006, 11:36:17 AM »
New to the 3D world here.  Can you make a block for a 3D object?  I want to extract attributes from a 3D model to make a material list.  Also, how is the world of 3D now in 2007?  Our company is 2D now but I would like to go to the third dimension.  Thoughts. :-)

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
Re: Blocks in 3D
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 11:44:52 AM »
New to the 3D world here.  Can you make a block for a 3D object?
yes you can, do you have an example we can make real quick to show you?
I want to extract attributes from a 3D model to make a material list.
this hasn't changed from the 2d world, I do this very thing and go into excel

Also, how is the world of 3D now in 2007?  Our company is 2D now but I would like to go to the third dimension.  Thoughts. :-)
We started in 3d w/ 2006, and since we went to 07, I have found it to be easier and more efficient.

BTW, good to see you again
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Fish

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 11:51:58 AM »
Hey thanks for the quick reply.  Sorry, no blocks as of yet.  To give you an idea we do timber bridges so the majority of the blocks are standard timber sizes thrown in with some hardware.  We'll be upgrading to 2007 after the first of the year so until then I'm getting my ducks in a row with this 3D attribute thing.  It has to be easier than counting everything. :roll:  I'll be exporting my attributes to an ms access file, thats where our database is at.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 12:04:17 PM »
i personally have never exported to Access, but I think it should be pretty easy.  Have you ever exported from 2d?  It should be the same.  Word of advice, make a new layer for your attributes and freeze it when you dont need it.  I tried to make invisible atts, and the extract routine couldn't find them when they were not visable.  Maybe I just did it wrong, I dont know.

Anyway, this should be a pretty good project.  Let me know if you need help
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Fish

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 12:24:01 PM »
In my block I wasn't going to actually do attributes, I was going to name the block per our standard product codes.  In 2004 the attribute extractor picks up the block name and uses that as its attribute.  All I really need is the block name and the quantity, access should do the rest.  From what I've read 2007 lets you export to an access file.