Author Topic: Examples of usage GRREAD - let's share  (Read 199059 times)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Re: Examples of usage GRREAD - let's share
« Reply #210 on: May 31, 2014, 12:14:10 PM »
I've implemented Lee's SNAPS to your function... Hope you don't mind...
Why do you insist on removing my name & author prefix from every line of code that you steal from me...?

Whilst ignoring the elephant--you put the code online--in the room; maybe add your header below the defun line.
Code - Auto/Visual Lisp: [Select]
  1. (defun foo ( / )
  2. ;; Copyright © 2014 John
  4. ;; Awesome-sauce code here
  6. )
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #211 on: May 31, 2014, 12:26:20 PM »
Why do you insist on removing my name & author prefix from every line of code that you steal from me...?

Simple reason of removing prefixes is to avoid confusion, to shorten code and to make it more readable...

That is feeble excuse in my opinion -
Removing the author prefix shortens the code by what, 2 characters?
And if anything, the headers add clarity to the code, as they describe the purpose of each function.

I don't wish to derail this thread, but in short, if you are going to copy/paste entire chunks of my code, at least have the courtesy to retain the few headers which accompany it, and not go to every effort to remove all attribution from the code.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #212 on: May 31, 2014, 12:59:24 PM »

Simple reason of removing prefixes is to avoid confusion, to shorten code and to make it more readable...

And if anything, the headers add clarity to the code, as they describe the purpose of each function.

I don't wish to derail this thread, but in short, if you are going to copy/paste entire chunks of my code, at least have the courtesy to retain the few headers which accompany it, and not go to every effort to remove all attribution from the code.

Removing prefixes (changing function names) does/can make the code more readable.

Removing headers does NOT make the code more readable; I, personally, only tried to add to existing headers and/or convert them to "my style" if needed. I also found adding a link to the thread or website where the code was found was helpful as well.

Lee,
Please try harder to be nicer to other members of theSwamp (stop being nasty). And, please try to not cast stones.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #213 on: May 31, 2014, 01:08:24 PM »
What has happened to this place... see ya.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #214 on: May 31, 2014, 01:13:28 PM »
Nothing has happened to this place (don't blame others); you choose to accuse instead of PMing or being more diplomatic. I asked you to stop (nothing complicated).

Donate to TheSwamp.org

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #215 on: May 31, 2014, 02:57:24 PM »
John, Lee has every right to be incensed that all his efforts to attribute his code were entirely stripped. The fact that Lee chooses to identify his code differently than you or I is irrelevant.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.com • http://cadanalyst.slack.com • http://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #216 on: May 31, 2014, 04:17:01 PM »
I agree but do you accuse someone of "stealing" when it happens. …We all need a break time to time.

The part about adding a header in a different location was my way of hinting at but not actually saying: it happens. move on. Besides all this stuff we post resides on someones personal hard drive -i.e. not OURS.

Ive recently learned there are far too many other things to focus on other then how someone used something someone posted on the internet. If you don't want it used, abused, taken, stolen, learned from, taken apart, etc. don't post it. People are going to use it many different ways, you can't dictate how people are going use the knowledge you part with.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #217 on: May 31, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
Sorty, I'm with Lee on this one. I find it odd you'd rather turn a blind eye to plagerism in the interests of "not making waves". Didn't realize honor had become unfashionable.
cadanalyst@gmail.com • http://cadanalyst.slack.com • http://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #218 on: May 31, 2014, 05:00:22 PM »
Im not turing a blind eye nor do I condone it but I also didn't think Lee was going to get very far going at it the way he did. Take our current conversation for example, have either of us insulted or accused one another; no. We are having a discussion. …Lee's approach immediately put the other on the defense. At that moment the conversation was over and no common ground was going to be reached (neither stick was going to bend. only snap).

If we want to wave our sticks around and see who's is larger to settle disputes we can do that but you better not choose to use that method when it's something you actually want to resolve.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #219 on: May 31, 2014, 09:40:09 PM »
Im not turning a blind eye nor do I condone ...

Well fact remains all you've done is admonish Lee for expressing his outrage (which he is fully entitled) that someone deliberately removed all attribution from source code -- you might as well pat him ribarm on the back for a job well done.

ribarm: This practice of yours will only result an a complete loss of respect by your peers, as does dismissing or playing down the issue.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #220 on: May 31, 2014, 10:30:30 PM »
Ok. point(s) taken MP. …the only point you made I want to address is for Lee's benefit though. I was far from admonishing him; I only asked him to keep his cool. Shift to a more respectful tack. Flies with honey. Open the lines of communication (I even started by giving personal opinions/habits). This kind of stuff happens all the time so keep calm and deal with it. etc. etc.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #221 on: June 01, 2014, 01:12:11 AM »
This passive crap is baffling and symptomatic of a pc world gone wrong. Kudos to Lee for calling fowl and not dancing around the issue.

WILL HATCH

• Bull Frog
« Reply #222 on: June 01, 2014, 01:18:23 AM »
Got to add my $0.02 (rounds down in Canada now tho so it's worthless)

I'm with Lee 100% here.  This community has immense power because of the people who freely contribute and they have earned the right to be recognized for it.

fixo

« Reply #223 on: June 01, 2014, 01:44:10 AM »

I'm with you, bud :)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #224 on: June 01, 2014, 07:47:30 AM »
Ah, well, I apologize for trying to keep the conversation civil then. Feel free to insult, abuse, attack, insult as you see fit.

…where were you guys during my "moderator cleanup effort", "subject lines are good", and "or is evil campaign"?

Donate to TheSwamp.org