Author Topic: Inventor or Solidworks?  (Read 5948 times)

ChrisSolid

Inventor or Solidworks?
« on: October 05, 2006, 11:26:54 AM »
I'd like to hear from anyone using Inventor who has also used Solidworks, or visa versa. I've seen a live demo of Solidworks, and it looks way easier to use than the old version of Inventor (ver 5) that I had on my machine at home, and tried to learn before deciding it was a little too ridiculous regarding how little the program could think for itself vs how much it forced the user to think about, plus it seemed pretty quirky (or buggy?) regarding closed figures that it would insist were NOT closed (reminds me of AutoCAD with its closed hatch boundaries that it will sometimes  report as not being closed). -Mind you, I have nothing against thinking for one's self, but human thinking is subject to the possibility of error, whereas when things like constraints are more automatic (as in Solidworks) things tend to go much more quickly. BUT - I had a very early version of Inventor, so I cannot make a fair comparison - I'm sure by now the difference between the 2 programs has diminished dramatically, but since I have no access to a late version of Inventor, I'd like to hear from anyone who is more up to speed.

JDMather

Re: Inventor or Solidworks?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 11:47:07 AM »
I find the two programs remarkable similar.  From your description of your problems I suspect you would have trouble actually using either.  You really need to get your feet wet.  Your respective VARs should be able to get you a 30-day trial, of course they will insist on a sales call to convince you the other is garbage.  A good saleman can easily make the other product look bad.
You didn't include the new AutoCAD 3D capabilities (and if your serious about mechanical design I and preparing yourself for the future, I wouldn't) but fyi here are some tutorials for all three.  These are not for an introductory learning, just happen to cover my interest.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/CAD238/AutoCAD_2007_Tutorials.htm

You might also try http://www.mcadforums.com
and
http://discussion.autodesk.com/forum.jspa?forumID=78
http://forum.solidworks.com/swforum/

Birdy

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 12:17:48 PM »
We're in the same dilemma: SW, or Inventor?  They both seem like the best fit for the needs we have for our millwork requirements. Although, full of a lot of suff we'll never use.

We do have an older seat of SolidWorks (2004).  While considering Inventor, I recently attended an Inventor user group where they demonstrated the "awesomely cool and new" features in Inventor 11, just released.  The room was full of Mech. engineers, so I felt a tad out of place.  They were "oooh-ing and aaahhh-ing" with each new feature shown.  Meanwhile, I'm sitting there thinking: "Gee, I could do that 3 years ago with SolidWorks."

I started talking to a guy there, and he (self-employed) felt that SolidWorks was a much better program. [That's his opinion]

I think they're pretty much the same too, although feel that SolidWorks is more mature... that is, Inventor is palying catchup.

FWIW, our SW reseller was pretty good with support, and answering questions, although peer support for Autodesk products seems way better, in my experience.

Don't know if that helps or not.

TR

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 05:20:21 PM »
Has anyone looked at alibre? It seems fairly cheap and has a 30 day demo.

t-bear

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 04:47:51 PM »
We're in the process of converting to 3D parametrics....went with SWX.  Had both demo'd here and it seems that SWX is much more user friendly.  It's just more intuitive.  As for design capability, Inventor still hasn't got constraints working right....the rep had problems constraining a cylinder tangentral to another cylinder.............in SWX it was smooth as butter.  The support for SWX seemed much better....and cheaper.  But that's dependant to some extent on your reseller.  The main selling point for us was the fact that SWX supports ALL its past iterations....no designed obsolessance.  They will support and troubleshoot my 2007 ver. even after the "newest and greatest" is released.  They are STILL giving full support to their first release. With Inventor, if I want support, I'm looking at a mandatory update after 3 years.......that's B*** S***..........

Of course, asa always, YMMV  ;-)

SDETERS

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 11:38:33 AM »
There are many more 3D packages out there than Solid works and Inventor.

Solid Works has some great Features.  WE bought a seat just for some the features it offers

What about SOlid Edge?  Unigraphics?  Pro-E  Catia? I-Deas?

These days one should also be looking more into how to mange your 3D data PLM product lifecycle management  or such than just the modeling package itself.  What do you want to do with the 3D model once you have it.  Do you want to do stress FEA on the part?  Maybe you want to Machine it from a piece of billet?  Some 3D packages have some great intergrated machine and FEA packages with the 3D software.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 11:39:48 AM by SDETERS »

pmvliet

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 01:07:36 PM »
What about SOlid Edge?  Unigraphics?  Pro-E  Catia? I-Deas?

Some of those come with some pretty hefty price tags though... But this is an Industry that can make lots of money as well... I guess it's all relative...

Pieter

SDETERS

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 03:36:31 PM »
Yes hefty price tag For Unigraphics I-Deas Catia

I do not know about Pro-e

Also you have to think about user base.  What are the individuals in your area more trained on?  Less training is always good.  YOu do not want to fork out big bucks on software and then training.  What are your current users working with?  What have they used?

I think Solid works compete with with Solid Edge.  And so on.

I would not just limit myself to inventor or Solid works.  There are many more companies out there that you need to compare.  Also each software has its on strengths and weakness.  Also the File manage systems that these companies sell with the product are very different also.

Oops forgot to mention please do not forget the people you are sharing your 3d info with It is easier if you all have the same system.

Sorry I got off Topic.

The Features of Solid Works we use are

The Draft analysis feature. This features is nice to analysis a casting and tells you were you need draft.

Also the thick thin check of complex castings.  We export out of our 3D software to check if the walls we have modeled are consistent and not to thick and or thin.  This saves money in material if you find thick areas that you can take material out off.  Also finds thin spots which die caster do not like.

We also export an assembly to Solidwoks and then save that assembly as a solidworks part with exterior faces switch turned.  This way we do not have to work many hours removing internal surfaces from our assemblies.  This protects our Proprietary information.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 06:05:56 PM by SDETERS »

JDMather

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 11:18:07 AM »
solidworks part with exterior faces switch turned.  This way we do not have to work many hours removing internal surfaces from our assemblies.  This protects our Proprietary information.

Unstitch.  Flip normals.  Stitch and Promote. Done.
OK, maybe a little more than that depending on how much you've munged but show me any product that has a protection scheme and you will probably find someone who has devised a crack if there is an economic incentive to do so.