Author Topic: Dynamic Blocks  (Read 8243 times)

Fish

Dynamic Blocks
« on: January 10, 2007, 10:41:12 AM »
Hey guys I'm currently running 2004 with an upgrade to 2007 soon.  Right now I'm trying to get my ducks in a row with the new version.  My drafting consists basically of hardware (bolts, etc.) and lumber.  I should be able to make a dynamic block lets say out of 6" bolt or a 10' piece of lumber and be able to modify those entities to different lengths correct?  Does that work in 3D also and I'm assuming attaching attributes are no problem.  Also, can you convert an old block to a dynamic block?  Thanks for the input. 8-)

Re: Dynamic Blocks
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 10:44:53 AM »
Not sure about the 3D aspect of it, but you can do everything else that you want to.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 11:08:49 AM »
Does that work in 3D also and I'm assuming attaching attributes are no problem.  Also, can you convert an old block to a dynamic block?  Thanks for the input. 8-)

3D is a big no-go as far as I've seen... there may be limited abilities, but in the dynamic block editor (bedit) you can not use ANY 3d commands.... AT ALL... no orbit or anything.

You can maybe use an array on a 3d object... but that's about it.... and forget anything that requires a function in the solidedit command.... psh... dynamic blocks are flippin' cool but it's a smalllllllllllll step in a powerful direction...

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 11:09:34 AM »
3D Dynamic blocks are not part of 2007, maybe in 2008, but who knows.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

CottageCGirl

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 11:24:01 AM »
Does that work in 3D also and I'm assuming attaching attributes are no problem.  Also, can you convert an old block to a dynamic block?  Thanks for the input. 8-)

3D is a big no-go as far as I've seen... there may be limited abilities, but in the dynamic block editor (bedit) you can not use ANY 3d commands.... AT ALL... no orbit or anything.

You can maybe use an array on a 3d object... but that's about it.... and forget anything that requires a function in the solidedit command.... psh... dynamic blocks are flippin' cool but it's a smalllllllllllll step in a powerful direction...

Josh Nieman
Newt

Rockin' the Casbah since 1983

View Profile Personal Message (Online)

You must just LOVE the new "stocking the catbox" commercial :roll:

(sorry. small hijack)

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 11:31:35 AM »
you can setup visibility states for set lengths or attach a stretch parameter with defines intervals you can stretch it and restraints. attributes is possible but there are a few tricks when using them. for instance when you use attributes with visibility states the same attribute in various states must have a unique name. i think it is best to recreate the attributes while in the editor. I think you can reuse geometry from old blocks but recreate the attributes. I beilive you also need to lock the position of the attributes for the block to work properly. once you start playing with it let me know and i will try to help as there are quite a few undocumented secrets. good luck

Josh Nieman

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 11:45:39 AM »

Josh Nieman
Newt

You must just LOVE the new "stocking the catbox" commercial :roll:

HAHA yea that commercial is awesome... every now and then when walking through the office, I just start singing "Lock the CAT BOX... LOCK the CAT BOX" complete with motions and all.... :\