Author Topic: change location where .bak files save?  (Read 16903 times)

kentium3k

• Newt
  • Adopt a Greyhound! No, not a bus.
Re: change location where .bak files save?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2006, 11:19:03 PM »
In my more paranoid days I wrote a simple lisp routine to save the file to the project directory on the server ( normal qsave) and to save the file to a similar path on my C drive.  It works well and doesn't take much more time than a normal save on the 1 to 4 mb files I usually create.  I did this for years and never needed the extra file.  If a file did become corrupted (only once or twice) both files were corrupt and hence my dual saves did nothing.  I don't trust autosave, I simply save often, often, often.  It is such a habit that I never stand to lose more than a few minutes of work.  Prior to certain commands I will always save, plotting, 3dorbit, shademode, to name a few.
Prosperity is only an instrument to be used, not a deity to be worshiped. C. Coolidge

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
Re: change location where .bak files save?
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 03:46:37 PM »
sinc
The .DWG file got corrupted somehow, but the .BAK file is still good.
I edit a file and want to discard the changes, but accidentally answer "Yes" to the "Overwrite file?" prompt.
good point.
The bak seems to be triggered only by a save or Yes to save when you close the dwg.
The autosaves are deleted on normal closure of cad.
Pulling the plug or crashing cad (I can crash it with vba in 2000) seems to leave a good .sv$ file.
I've accidentally lost it by opening Autocad and attempting to do the "Recover" before renaming the Autosave file.
this seems to be what I must have done in the past as I can't seem to delete the .sv$ any other way. Reopening the drawing (without using recovery)  and saving it doesn't delete the old .sv$ so perhaps the recovery program does mess up the whole process. I haven't figured out how to crash 2006 so it's hard to do a test.
kentium, I dont use save that often,  so I have to rely on the autosaves. However I do hate deleting all those bak files all the time when I archive a job