Author Topic: The future of DXF codes?  (Read 8708 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
The future of DXF codes?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2004, 08:40:58 AM »
> When it's ready TheSwamp will get first looks.
can't wait to see that. <g>
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
The future of DXF codes?
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2004, 01:17:56 PM »
Quote from: SMadsen
...More to the point, though, in my own peculiar way I was saying that I don't believe for one moment that the DXF scheme will be replaced by ActiveX unless Adesk will stop supporting AutoLISP.

Sure, not everything has been properly ported from one interface to another but I don't take that as a signal of discarding one of the interfaces. But then, only Adesk has an answer to it and they're not really known for spilling the(ir) beans.
Sorry Mr.Madson,  I failed to address this part of your post back a few days. I don't have a crystal ball either, but the posts from various directions appear to support the theory that in general, dxf support is falling off (I cannot imagine it being outright killed off), suggesting that it's not a bad time to start learning the activex side. However, as you all noted, there are some things that still cannot be performed via activex without doing some callisthenics (e.g. determining the xref attach state from objectdbx), so like you and others, I'll still be keeping my dxf coding abilities as sharp as possible thank you very much Autodesk. All this aside, and conversely, there are things one can achieve via activex, like writing ax dlls and calling them from lisp that I find, to sound just a wee bit Californian, "way cool mang!"

Cheers,

Michael.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
The future of DXF codes?
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2004, 02:12:19 PM »
Quote from: Michael Puckett
to sound just a wee bit Californian, "way cool mang!"

Whoaaaa, Dude!
I drink beer and I know things....